English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

View Poll Results: Best Graphics on an Amiga game ever?
Lionheart 16 25.40%
Agony 5 7.94%
Super Stardust 5 7.94%
Elfmania 15 23.81%
Shadow of the Beast 4 6.35%
Other 18 28.57%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04 January 2023, 23:41   #1
lionagony

Best Graphics on an Amiga game ever (Poll)

As you might guess from my username I am partial to Lionheart and Agony. I thought about limiting it to ECS only but sadly I don't think we ever got to see the full potential of AGA (except maybe Super Stardust) so I'll leave it open.
Old 04 January 2023, 23:51   #2
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quite a short poll, it's like saying "Name the best looking game and why is it Lionheart/Agony?".

Well, "other" then. Wrath of the Demon struck me the most of all Amiga games, as bad as the gameplay is. The only thing I can fault it on graphically is that some enemy sprites in the walking sections look like they belong in a different game. Ask me again next week and I might have a different answer
Old 05 January 2023, 00:32   #3
Tpod

Well I voted Elfmania but Agony for me is a close second; I was playing Agony a little over Christmas with my nephew … I said to him about it being great graphics (for Amiga) & his response was 'I really like the sound'. Its a good observation, I often prefer to have music turned off in games but for Agony its a real enhancement. Mind you, Elfmania also has good audio IMHO.
Old 05 January 2023, 00:54   #4
eXeler0

Elfmania, because when you look at it seems impossible to get that on an ECS machine.
Old 05 January 2023, 00:58   #5
lionagony

I would go so far as to say that the trifecta of Lionheart, Agony and Elfmania have the best graphics of any 16 bit system. I've been doing a lot of emulation of SNES and Genesis games and the only ones that I would put in the same league would be Donkey Kong Country 3 for SNES and Vectorman 2 for Genesis and both of those were late stage games from 1996.
Old 05 January 2023, 01:11   #6
lionagony

>Well, "other" then. Wrath of the Demon struck me the most of all Amiga ?>games, as bad as the gameplay is.

Yes, Wrath of the Demon is impressive but one thing is that the Atari ST and DOS ports don't look too terrible in comparison whereas Lionheart, Agony and Elfmania are all Amiga exclusives that I don't think could be recreated very easily on the other systems of the day.
Old 05 January 2023, 02:34   #7
Redster

Other then, Turrican 2 AGA 2022
Old 05 January 2023, 03:55   #8
ImmortalA1000

Well personally....

The stage on Elfmania where you are fighting in the water is brilliant, very cool, but the fighters look weird and crappy. I think some of the levels of Shadow Fighter are better technically.

The intro/above ground level of Shadow of the Beast 1 is the most impressive game engine and graphics of any Amiga 1000 compatible game I have ever seen but the underground levels are stock dual playfield mode so again there is no single one game as a single release.

Sword of Sodan also had great graphics, shame the coding isn't up to beast 1 standards as it's not exactly zero frame drops and there is some scrolling catch-up going on but the graphics were Japanese arcade developer quality there most of the time.

Not sure why it is Super Stardust AGA and all the other games are OCS (possibly A1000 512k Chip compatible too) so that probably should have been Stardust for OCS.

Defender of the Crown, Jim Sachs was a master of the pixels.

The best 16 colour pixel art and animation for me is for the unreleased game by Systems Architects, Ancient Mariner, they are Amiga quality and will always be what impressed me more than anything ever released.
Old 05 January 2023, 07:39   #9
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Hexuma, Ruff 'n' Tumble or Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis have very impressive graphics for OCS games. 'Best' is always tricky to answer at least for me. Elfmania surely looks impressive technically I just don't care for the style of the graphics
Old 05 January 2023, 07:50   #10
ztronzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Elfmania, because when you look at it seems impossible to get that on an ECS machine.
I came here to say this!

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
Old 05 January 2023, 08:16   #11
nikosidis

AGA = Banshee
OCS = Xenon 2
Old 05 January 2023, 08:20   #12
ImmortalA1000

Soccer Kid was one of those games I played on my A1000 I was looking at it and thinking "how did they do that?". Very impressive game, console quality presentation and pretty innovative in a crowded Mario clone market.
Old 05 January 2023, 08:53   #13
Megalomaniac

Elfmania was the one that jumped out for me, although Fightin' Spirit probably has better sprites, and is certainly a better game (sadly it was released once the Amiga was commercially dead and everyone wanted 3D beat 'em ups).

Stardust probably gets closer to the limits of OCS than Super Stardust does to AGA, but both look superb.

Xenon 2's graphics were quite good for a 1989 ST game. Hybris is older, prettier and much better to play.

It sometimes feels like the Amiga was particularly unlucky in terms of the games with the best graphics rarely having the best gameplay though.

Last edited by Megalomaniac; 05 January 2023 at 09:22.
Old 05 January 2023, 09:20   #14
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionagony View Post
Yes, Wrath of the Demon is impressive but one thing is that the Atari ST and DOS ports don't look too terrible
I don't see how that is relevant for a "best graphics on an Amiga game" poll. And the Atari ST version looks quite bad. I feel sorry for the people who not only got this terrible game, but then also got it on the Atari ST to make matters worse.
Old 05 January 2023, 09:21   #15
Amigajay

Elfmania is truly stunning for an OCS game, imo prob the best looking game on the Amiga background wise, sprite and animation and gameplay are another story!
Old 05 January 2023, 10:05   #16
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Given the provided poll, my vote would go to SotB but many others game could be added on that list (Unreal, the Krystal comes to mind now), so will go for 'others'.
Old 05 January 2023, 13:02   #17
rothers

I'd like to see a breakdown of what Elfmania is doing, I can figure out some of the techniques, but it's the apparent colour depth and speed which is confusing me. Is it just an excellent artist tricking me?
Old 05 January 2023, 13:27   #18
khph_re

Elf Mania and LionHeart for me. Graphics work in rough'n'tumble, darkmere
and Xenon2 were great too.

I thought the tunnel sequence on stardust looked amazing, always thought that could be turned into a game in its own right.

No love for old filled vectors? I thought Epic, Killing cloud and Hunter were decent.
Old 05 January 2023, 16:27   #19
ma693541
Computer Wizard

What about Walker and I don't remember the name of the other game I liked the graphic on, but it had very clear colours, partly animated and the player character had an helm and a sword.
Old 05 January 2023, 16:31   #20
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma693541 View Post
What about Walker and I don't remember the name of the other game I liked the graphic on, but it had very clear colours, partly animated and the player character had an helm and a sword.
Leander: https://hol.abime.net/850 ?