English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 29 August 2014, 17:22   #21
Mounty
Hardware Design Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounty View Post
Much more difficult with a Gotek, for reasons I explained earlier.

I had all this "initial resistance" with the Amipad32. "OH MY GOD, IT'S GOT PAINTED BUTTONS! I THINK I'D DIE IF I TOUCHED A PAINTED BUTTON!"

Since then the Amipad has been a steady seller. Why? because it's a damned good alternative to whatever else was out there. In fact I sold two today, while I've been sitting here assembling some Gotek external adapters.

It's the same with this device. Of all the people who have seen this post (probably 200 or so), only a handful of naysayers have commented. The vast majority will have had a look, and thought "mmm, I'll keep my eye on that". That's how it works.

That's why I'm not too bothered if one guy says he doesn't like this and another guy says he doesn't like that. I gave up trying to please everyone long ago. It's all about pleasing the maximum amount of customers possible, and that's what I always try to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vot View Post
Mounty i still dont get it why is it so thick? The gotek pcb cant be more than 8mm high.
The Gotek pcb is not inside the shell, it's inside the Amiga case. Inside the shell is my custom pcb with quite a few bits and bobs mounted on it.

I could perhaps shave a few mm off it's height but it's only 25mm.
Old 29 August 2014, 18:03   #22
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

Just out of interest as i am considering buying an A500 at some stage for use as a floppy only machine with one of these new gadgets.

How does the price compare between a full Gotek setup compared to the HXC's?
Old 29 August 2014, 18:14   #23
Mounty
Hardware Design Engineer

Quote:
The Gotek pcb is not inside the shell, it's inside the Amiga case. Inside the shell is my custom pcb with quite a few bits and bobs mounted on it.

I could perhaps shave a few mm off it's height but it's only 25mm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansel75 View Post
Just out of interest as i am considering buying an A500 at some stage for use as a floppy only machine with one of these new gadgets.

How does the price compare between a full Gotek setup compared to the HXC's?
Have a look on eBay there's lots to choose from.
Old 29 August 2014, 18:30   #24
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

Quote:
Have a look on eBay there's lots to choose from.
Ok now i see why the Gotek's are so popular, there around half the price of the hxc's.

What about making a fully internal Gotek unit like this one in the pic, the only thing is you would need to cut your amiga case to access it properly-
http://oi58.tinypic.com/nvuvdu.jpg

Also Mounty, will this unit be used for df0 drive or df1?
Old 29 August 2014, 18:37   #25
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansel75 View Post
the only thing is you would need to cut your amiga case to access it properly-
And that is the only thing some of us would not do
Old 29 August 2014, 18:40   #26
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Aga View Post
And that is the only thing some of us would not do
It's not that expensive to buy a spare case for modding, and keep your original in pristine condition!
Old 29 August 2014, 18:41   #27
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

It's not about my case It's the principle. I would never mutilate original casings. Even if I had a hundred of them.
Old 29 August 2014, 18:53   #28
Vot

Quote:
It's not about my case It's the principle. I would never mutilate original casings. Even if I had a hundred of them.
Me either makes me cry.. Thats one more amiga part gone for good...
Old 29 August 2014, 18:59   #29
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Yup. There is a finite and diminishing number of them. That is why I like Mounty's "no cutting" policy
Although I don't quite understand how he'll pull that off
Old 29 August 2014, 19:00   #30
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

I do hear what you guys are saying!

But if the device installed is intended to be a permanent fixture like the hxc is in my A1200 and soon will be in my A600, i don't see to much issue.

I see them as an integral part of those systems now and would never go back to a real floppy drive.
Old 29 August 2014, 20:33   #31
Mounty
Hardware Design Engineer

Quote:
Yup. There is a finite and diminishing number of them. That is why I like Mounty's "no cutting" policy
Although I don't quite understand how he'll pull that off
It's quite simple really. This is what you might call a hybrid solution, with some elements of an internal solution and some elements of an external solution.

The wires connecting the internal part (the Gotek pcb) to the external part (my custom pcb) pass through the grid in the top of the Amiga case.

This is made possible by using DuPont connectors. When you remove the plastic case from a DuPont connector it becomes just small enough to pass through the grid. Once through the grid you can replace the casing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
You make it sound like if I have any sort of agenda against you, which is ridiculous.

You post about something you may want to build in a public forum. If you don't want to hear the opinion of those who may want to buy your product, that's great, your choice, but don't post it in a public forum then.
Don't be a drama queen.
Old 30 August 2014, 06:20   #32
ADz
A mighty pirate!

Quote:
Don't be a drama queen.
I don't think he is being a drama queen. If anything it was you who was. You cant just put a topic here and then want everybody to like design. Obviously some people are going to give honest/negative views.

You put this topic here, I'm assuming for opinions and feedback on a prototype. Then when people give you their opinion you jump down their throat, throw a hissy and tell them not to buy it!?

You should learn to take feedback in a positive way not just think people are being personal. Nobody was having a crak, we were simply giving you constructive feedback on design.

I just honestly think that majority of people will see this as too bulky and doesn't look right sitting on top of system like that. Goteks boards are quite small and I just don't see point in making a large case like that.

As mentioned before a much better option (IMO) would be either..

1. A new faceplate for Gotek/Amiga floppy drive section
2. A replacement Amiga style case for the drive so can look like an external Amiga drive.
3. A smaller/more compact version of what you have in the OP.

Now if you have already finalized this and going to production then good luck on your product.
Old 30 August 2014, 09:09   #33
Mounty
Hardware Design Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADz View Post
I don't think he is being a drama queen. If anything it was you who was. You cant just put a topic here and then want everybody to like design. Obviously some people are going to give honest/negative views.

You put this topic here, I'm assuming for opinions and feedback on a prototype. Then when people give you their opinion you jump down their throat, throw a hissy and tell them not to buy it!?

You should learn to take feedback in a positive way not just think people are being personal. Nobody was having a crak, we were simply giving you constructive feedback on design.

I just honestly think that majority of people will see this as too bulky and doesn't look right sitting on top of system like that. Goteks boards are quite small and I just don't see point in making a large case like that.

As mentioned before a much better option (IMO) would be either..

1. A new faceplate for Gotek/Amiga floppy drive section
2. A replacement Amiga style case for the drive so can look like an external Amiga drive.
3. A smaller/more compact version of what you have in the OP.

Now if you have already finalized this and going to production then good luck on your product.
What's this? Can't the guy stick up for himself? Are you his dad or something?

Thanks for your opinions.

What's an OP?
Old 30 August 2014, 09:49   #34
ADz
A mighty pirate!

Quote:

Thanks for your opinions.

What's an OP?
Ok, now you're just being childish, I'm done with you. Good luck with your brick.

OP = Original Post
Old 30 August 2014, 09:56   #35
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Watch it. He posted an opinion about your product just like Akira did. We reached this point before, so I guess you know what will happen next if you continue like you do. Grow up and listen to what people say about your products.
Old 30 August 2014, 10:35   #36
Mounty
Hardware Design Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADz View Post
Ok, now you're just being childish, I'm done with you. Good luck with your brick.

OP = Original Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Watch it. He posted an opinion about your product just like Akira did. We reached this point before, so I guess you know what will happen next if you continue like you do. Grow up and listen to what people say about your products.
Lol you guys are taking life much too seriously. Get back to the real world, have a beer and try to spend a bit less time on forums.
Old 30 August 2014, 10:43   #37
Vot

Oh dear.....
Old 30 August 2014, 10:57   #38
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

Um, Mounty are your gotek drives setup up as df0 or df1 drives?
Old 30 August 2014, 10:58   #39
ADz
A mighty pirate!

Quote:
Lol you guys are taking life much too seriously. Get back to the real world, have a beer and try to spend a bit less time on forums.
Says the person having a pop at people trying to give feedback on a topic you created for feedback??

You created the topic and now when somebody replies to try and help you tell them to get back to real world?

You're an idiot.
Old 30 August 2014, 11:00   #40
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Well, you just got two weeks off for all those fun real life activities. Next time just don't create a thread here if you don't want to hear what people have to say. It's that simple.