English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Home Projects > project.EAB

Old 20 December 2001, 02:32   #1
Jim

Some ideas from a newbie

I think sometimes when you are new to a board you can see some things that are confusing, some things that are missing and also have some general ideas.

This is in no way derogatory, these are just ideas, a kind of review if you like.

I like the content of the board, the help members give each other and the variety of posts. The Zone seems very useful and is something I haven't seen on a board before. I must remember to checkout the jukebox sometime.

Here are some questions/suggestions

1 - Where is the board help? Most boards have a general help section (it's usually supplied with the board software I think) listing basic things - how to create a thread, how to post graphics etc..... I know there is some context-help on certain things but maybe for users who are new to boards you could have a help button at the top ?

2 - A humour/joke thread ? I've noticed some of us like a laugh and maybe this would keep it out of the main threads so people in a serious mood can avoid it, and drunken people can head straight for it !

3 - FAQ's for this board - there are FAQ's dotted about around the threads. Maybe to enfore the rules and make them easier to find these could also be linked to from a FAQ thread ?

4 - My favourite!!! A ST bashing thread !!! Relive those my computer-is-better-than-yours moments !

Hope this hasn't bored you all to death , annoyed you or completely confused you !!!

Maybe if someone else thinks of other ideas or wants to shout at mine they should post here !

:laugh

Old 20 December 2001, 03:28   #2
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Big grin

Welcome aboard EAB Jim-saw your intro in another thread & like the others said, think you've had a very positive start here,(Haven't been about for too long here myself, but find it one of my fave sites to visit.).

There actually used to be an FAQ section up next to "The Zone" tab from memory...but now you mention it, it's gone MIA,(I'm sure there's still an FAQ somewhere, I just haven't visited it since I first joined.)

As far as jokes are concerned,I think most people & the Mods had previously agreed the best section is the "Off-topic" area as it already covers anything not covered in the main-retro-gaming /emulator/games threads.
Old 20 December 2001, 11:01   #3
Kodoichi
Banned

Location: I'm the smiling face on your TV, I exploit you still you love me
Re: Some ideas from a newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim
4 - My favourite!!! A ST bashing thread !!! Relive those my computer-is-better-than-yours moments !
Oh come on... why bash Atari when we have Windows?
Old 20 December 2001, 12:27   #4
Dr Xavier

Evil grin

Who wants to throw the first (and maybe continuous) punch at X.P?

Old 20 December 2001, 15:22   #5
RCK
Administrator

Re: Some ideas from a newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim
1 - Where is the board help? Most boards have a general help section (it's usually supplied with the board software I think) listing basic things - how to create a thread, how to post graphics etc..... I know there is some context-help on certain things but maybe for users who are new to boards you could have a help button at the top ?
hehe, there was one 'classic' board FAQ, but cause nobody use it, I had remove it

Quote:
2 - A humour/joke thread ? I've noticed some of us like a laugh and maybe this would keep it out of the main threads so people in a serious mood can avoid it, and drunken people can head straight for it !
Well, Off-topic is already there for that
And too much section will be confusing.

Quote:
3 - FAQ's for this board - there are FAQ's dotted about around the threads. Maybe to enfore the rules and make them easier to find these could also be linked to from a FAQ thread ?
Same answer as (1).
But I'll improve all of Rules / Faq later

Quote:
no !
I love the ST like many other board members.
Old 20 December 2001, 17:42   #6
Amiga1992

I love ALL old computers, but computer wars used to be fun....

Only thing is I always teamed up with any computer user against Beamers Man, the C64 kicked the shit out of that XT poo... That's why my PC owning friends always came to my house for a round of breadbox computer fun!
Old 21 December 2001, 17:08   #7
RetroMan

Yep, many regulars of this board like Atari Machines Why ? Cause they are RETRO and just have a look at the ChuChu Thread btw.

Anyway, if you want to bash, go for WinBlows/Bill "The dead Teletubbie" Gates
Old 22 December 2001, 14:50   #8
Jim

I'm too old scene !!

After 6 years of "You must hate ST's" propoganda by Amiga Format magazine my brain is washed.

Sorry guys !!

Why bother with ST emulators? I have a perfectly good microwave with better sound :laugh

Old 22 December 2001, 16:05   #9
Drake1009

Oh yeah all the propaganda. I remember the mailbox in the magazine we used to have. Jokes like "I love atari owners, I just don't know how long they take to cook" and a very bad joke about a kid going travelling by train. Suddently the train derails runs down the hill through a small forest and past a pond whereafter it drove back where it came from and onto the tracks to continue again. Then when the kid asked a conductor what had happened the response was "There was an Atari owner on the tracks". "Well why didn't you run him over then?" the kid asked "We did but we only just got him at the pond"

I've lived through a lot of propaganda too, though I guess it wasn't worse than blonde jokes.
Old 23 December 2001, 16:03   #10
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Heh, I guess the only real problem I had with the ST users in the old days was their silly insistence that the ST was better than the Amiga. Just like the PC crowd claiming their 386 was better.

The ST gaming scene revolved around menu disks and an unnatural obsession with Dungeon Master. So the game was good (if you like all that dungeon stuff), but no game is as good as ST users seem to *STILL* think it is. And it's not like it's only available for the ST. And the small handful of games that weren't translated to the Amiga (like Oids) were not enough to sway me over...particularly after seeing the awful conversions that did exist (like all of those Microdeal games from the late 80's).

The final thing ST users harped on was MIDI. The ST is better because we have MIDI, they claimed. What did a MIDI device cost...like $50? And that was if you happened to have the need for MIDI. I don't think there was enough people wanting that to substantiate choosing it over the strong points of the Amiga, even if you're a musician (unless you wanted your machine for MIDI - and MIDI only!)

Finally, there was that whole mess of the evil Tramiels vs. Jay Miner. My vote went to Miner, being the underground visionary that he was. R.I.P.