English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.UAE Wishlist

Old 16 June 2004, 19:15   #1
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Arrow WinUAE should check whether files actually exist

Just recently, I had this problem: did a LOT of changes to my hard drive setup, merged two smaller partitions -- and all the drive letters changed.
No breaking news, though.

PowerQuest DriveMapper works fine for registry entries, but is unable to care for each and every configuration file of a program!

I would like it if WinUAE could check for existance of a HDF (et al) in a configuration file and if not, cause a message box to pop up, saying "HDF in G:\Amiga ..... not found".
In current versions, if you use a non-existing harddir or HDF path, WinUAE simply pretends as if there were no hard drives at all.

Ideally (but this would mean a lot of work), it could do like Windows does if paths are not found: prompt the user to specify the current path where the HDF resides and save the new path to the existing configuration file.
Phew!

*taking a breath*

But I agree this would be demanding a few things too much at the same time.
Old 16 June 2004, 23:40   #2
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Of course in a situation such as yours where your drive letters were remapped, it could get irritating pretty quickly if you had a lot of configuration files and WinUAE complained when you loaded each and every one until you had fixed them all. You could always download one of the many "search and replace" utilities for a quick fix, and use it to quickly replace all occurrences of "G:\Amiga" in filenames matching "*.uae" within your configuration directory with "H:\Amiga" (assuming your G: drive is now your H: drive). A good search and replace utility is worth its weight in gold!
Old 17 June 2004, 14:45   #3
andreas
Zone Friend

Thanks for the quick reply.
Well if you happen to know some that can handle multiple files at the same time, please tell me some.
Usually I'd do this in a sort of cumbersome way using sed and cygwin (UNIX layer for windows).
Old 17 June 2004, 16:40   #4
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Sorry for the slower second reply, but I didn't get back online after my first reply until now. I can't recall the exact one that I've been using, but a quick Google search with the terms "multi search and replace" turned up a number of hits. After picking through a few and skipping those with dead download links, I found this one:

http://www.download.com/3001-2079-10158919.html

I didn't actually download it and try it out, but it got some excellent reviews on CNET. You might look at several others though, as I find that everybody seems to have different preferences when it comes to utilities like this. I'll also poke around on my machine at home this evening and see which utility I picked out, and let you know.
Old 17 June 2004, 17:28   #5
andreas
Zone Friend

Thanks man!
Will try that out!
Old 17 June 2004, 18:46   #6
robotriot
Tubby mechanical friend

Send a message via ICQ to robotriot
UltraEdit is quite good for replacing text in multiple files as well, besides generally being an excellent text editor
Old 18 June 2004, 09:07   #7
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Ooooh! I hadn't considered UltraEdit, though I use it extensively for text editing both at home and at work - it is a great program. It has so many features that I guess I overlooked that as an option.

I did check to see what the multi search and replace tool was that I was using, and it was "Multi Search and Replace v2.0.0" by Simplexity Software. That version was (I think) freeware, though later versions may not be. If you don't find one that suits your purposes, let me know and I can probably dig up the installer from when I first downloaded it.