English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 08 February 2002, 22:46   #1
jmmijo

Gvp 4008+

I seem to have run into a problem. My GVP SCSI card seems to be non-functional now. I've installed it into all four Zorro slots and it does not work in any of them

Now of course I either need to purchase another one or get something else entirerly.

I can install the Amiga drive into one of my A500's and transfer all the data to my PC then back to the 4000 again if need be or even install the SCSI drive into a PC.

I just visited GVP's web site and they have some other items for sale too. Is there a decent accelerator card with a built-in SCSI controller or is it better to get separate cards?

Thoughts and suggestions on this would be appreciated
Old 13 February 2002, 17:17   #2
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

That's a hard question to answer without knowing what the specifications of your A4000 are right now (that is, CPU, graphics card, IDE devices etc.), and what you plan to use your A4000 for in the future.
Old 13 February 2002, 19:51   #3
jmmijo

The specs are as follows:

030/25MHz CPU card, 2MB Chip, 16MB Fast, Multiface 3 I/O card.

I've already ordered a Catweasal Zorro card, this includes a high speed floppy controller along with their Bhudda IDE controller and I believe IDEfix to run CD-ROM drives. I'm gonna stick with this setup and use it for games and to convert/archive my C64/128 software along with all my Amiga software. I'm gonna attempt to help out the CAPS project all I can.

The GVP card seems to be toast, it fails the Amiga's diags and sometimes I get a guru with the board installed I've got to to be recognized once, but never again. I'm gonna check out the Zorro expansion slot riser for any looe connections as well, just in case!
Old 13 February 2002, 23:14   #4
RetroMan

Just remove all other extensions and try the card on it´s own, worked for me and my GVP GForce Combo 040 at 40 Mhz. I only had a 2 MB Ram Card in my 2000er but that gurus the complete systems, after I removed that one, the GVP card worked fine, after installation I also put back the RAM card and it works until today Oh btw. the GVP GForce Combo also got a SCSI-II Controller onboard, nice card IMHO
Old 14 February 2002, 02:52   #5
jmmijo

It looks like I may have had a HD failure as I'm trying to troubleshoot the drive now and it's not being recognized at all, but this could still be the SCSI controller, I'm gonna connect it to one of my 500's and see if it behaves the same way or not.

Thanks for everyones help in this matter, I think the 4000 riser card may have been dirty or not seated well. I removed it and cleaned the edge contacts and now the GVP controller can be seen, also the Multiface 3 board seems to have a problem with it now, it didn't used to
Old 14 February 2002, 06:45   #6
jmmijo

Thumbs down Update

Okay here's what I figured out so far:

1) The GVP SCSI controller is fubar it appears to be okay but can not read any SCSI drive I've connected to it. I decided to connect what was my main boot drive to one of my 500's and yes now the drive seems to work, yet the data and/or partition info got hosed, probably when the controller went out

2) The expansion ram on the card doesn't work either, no configuration from 2 to 8 MB works The simm's work in an old 486 mobo however so I know they are working

The bad part is that I had about 650MB worth of ADZ/ADF files that I was creating to archive and to transfer over to my PC for emulating

Oh well, I was getting read to hook up my null-modem cable to get these disks burned to a CD-R as well, guess I'll wait for the Catweasal board so I can archive my Amiga and C64 stuff...
Old 14 February 2002, 15:15   #7
RetroMan

Re: Update

Quote:
Originally posted by jmmijo
2) The expansion ram on the card doesn't work either, no configuration from 2 to 8 MB works The simm's work in an old 486 mobo however so I know they are working
Don´t get this one wrong, the 4008 requires the SIMMS as Pairs, so two of them with same size and manufacturer, else it won´t work (or you have to be very lucky) .... maybe you have two different SIMMS attached
Old 14 February 2002, 20:07   #8
jmmijo

Re: Re: Update

Quote:
Originally posted by RetroMan
Don´t get this one wrong, the 4008 requires the SIMMS as Pairs, so two of them with same size and manufacturer, else it won´t work (or you have to be very lucky) .... maybe you have two different SIMMS attached
Nope, I have the docs and noticed that this is the case so yes I should have said I tried it with 2, 4, 6 or 8 MB and no go All 8 simm's are the same make/manufacturer and speed and since they work on an old 486 mobo, I'm thinking it's the GVP card. Not to worry, that Catweasal board should be here next week and I'll connect up some extra IDE hard drives I have lying around. I already am using a 3.2GB and a 4GB drive currently on the slower IDE connector of the A4000.
Old 15 February 2002, 15:39   #9
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by jmmijo

Catweasal board should be here next week and I'll connect up some extra IDE hard drives I have lying around. I already am using a 3.2GB and a 4GB drive currently on the slower IDE connector of the A4000.
You'll find that the Buddha IDE controller is around the same speed as
the internal C= IDE controller (some even report it is a little
slower). I have one myself and it's very handy in a standard A2000,
(which has no IDE or SCSI controller). I think you've made a good
choice picking the Catweasel/Buddha combo board since you want to play
games and your internal IDE controller is at full capacity. Hope you
like the board when you get it!
Old 15 February 2002, 19:58   #10
jmmijo

I'll be sure to keep everyone informed I also have a nice Dual Floppy Drive, built-in 5.25" and 3.5" in one 5.25" drive bay. This should fit nicely in the top drive bay of my 4000 and connect up to the Catweasal jut fine. I'm thinking of then mounting a spare 100MB Zip into one of the 3.5" bays below it maybe even leave in one of the Amiga floppy drives as well
I'll have to take a snapshot of it once it's finished
Old 20 February 2002, 21:53   #11
jmmijo

Software Hut Order!

Okay, I've just received my Software Hut order, I'm reviewing the docs now and will soon be installed the board. Seems to be pretty straight forward however, the manufacturer neglected to put the board into an anti-static bag

I'm sorry, I'm a computer tech and always use anti-static bags and workstations, you never know if that stray electron will zap some part you really want to work

I'll post more info as I get it, stay tuned.

BTW, where would be a good place to start a new thread for a review of the Catweasal board and other things about it? Nothing really fits except the Hardware prbs sub-board. I don't see a reviews section per se', hint hint RCK

EDIT: Just great, I was finishing the config for the Catweasal board when my power went out. I have one of the under monitor power centers, the master switch just fried

Last edited by jmmijo; 20 February 2002 at 23:16.
Old 20 February 2002, 23:27   #12
RCK
Administrator

ouaip

hum, I not really sure that all the future amiga hardware review will be huge, opening a new section for that is'nt a good idea imo
just post it into general discussion ! (cause it's not a kind of prb)
Old 21 February 2002, 00:30   #13
jmmijo

Re: ouaip

Quote:
Originally posted by RCK
just post it into general discussion ! (cause it's not a kind of prb)
OK, will do, thanks RCK