English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 23 November 2019, 17:27   #261
utri007
mä vaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK/Altair View Post
Resolve works great so far. I'm still learning, but I managed to get through first ~4:45 of source material cutting it to 2:50. It's quite hard to explain and work at the same time, so I found myself making many pauses, and you probably don't want to watch me fumbling e.g. with file folders, so such things can be cut out. I think that 20:00 final length would be right for the amount of content I have here.

I'll process a few minutes more and post an unlisted link so you can asses the quality (or lack of).
When we can see results of your work?
Old 26 November 2019, 20:41   #262
b0lt-thrower

Quote:
Originally Posted by utri007 View Post
Yeah, seeing a new video clip would be quite the holiday gift!
Old 27 November 2019, 21:09   #263
Mathesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0lt-thrower View Post
Yeah, seeing a new video clip would be quite the holiday gift!
I am checking here every day!
Old 28 November 2019, 19:50   #264
KK/Altair

Quote:
Originally Posted by utri007 View Post
Sorry for the delay. So far I tried cutting the video, but the result isn't too pleasing. That's probably because during recording it's hard to focus both on explaining and doing actual thing at the same time, so most of the time it's either explanatory audio, or interesting thing going on screen, but rarely both at the same time. I think I'll have to cut just the video and do a voiceover yet again during cutting (so the cuts give proper amount of time for explanations).

Also right now I'm a bit derailed (again) with demoscene activity for Silly Venture - have to help the Altair (sic!, not "Atari") guys, so I probably won't have too much free time until then.

Quote:
I am checking here every day!
So do I.
Old 29 November 2019, 08:59   #265
Mathesar

Quote:
So do I.
Old 29 November 2019, 13:07   #266
KK/Altair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathesar View Post
See? Checked today as well.

The real reason is that you guys help me stay motivated to tackle this monster of a project, and I really appreciate every single post here (yes, even the one I just quoted).
Old 29 November 2019, 22:52   #267
b0lt-thrower

Quote:
Sorry for the delay. So far I tried cutting the video, but the result isn't too pleasing. That's probably because during recording it's hard to focus both on explaining and doing actual thing at the same time, so most of the time it's either explanatory audio, or interesting thing going on screen, but rarely both at the same time. I think I'll have to cut just the video and do a voiceover yet again during cutting (so the cuts give proper amount of time for explanations).
Dude at this point we'd taken "phone held while pointed at screen" quality, you know that, right?
Old 30 November 2019, 00:23   #268
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0lt-thrower View Post
Dude at this point we'd taken "phone held while pointed at screen" quality, you know that, right?
Exactly

I think you are over complicating things KK/Altair when it comes to making the perfect video / commentary.

People just want to see the game in action; with some comments, technical details / explanation. We are not expecting you to make a Hollywood movie production
Old 30 November 2019, 20:02   #269
d4rk3lf

cough cough

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
Just wanna say... relax... and don't worry too much and put too much effort... it will be good.
I anticipated exactly this, and that's why I write him this on the last page, and other stuff.

In his place, I'd do this:
1) Cut that video from the first page (in full) and put it on the youtube link, so people can watch it, not having to go to that site, and do tedious rewinding. This will bring more interest, and easier to share.
2) Then, I'd just record few minutes of a new gameplay and create some short trailer about it (similar like guys did great trailer for metro siege).
3) As for the tutorials, or making of's, they could be edited in more relaxed manner (not fast paced), and could be done, just like he said: Recording the screen, then recording the voice over. Also, I wouldn't try to crate one big making off, but rather smaller stuff. Like... 2-5 minutes.. look what I did here ,... then after 2-3 week again.. making of second.. look what I did here.
Series of small making of's would also benefit of more people watching, imho.

Right now, I am even not sure if our friend Altair is making a trailer, or tutorial/making of/behind the scenes.

Quote:
The real reason is that you guys help me stay motivated to tackle this monster of a project, and I really appreciate every single post here (yes, even the one I just quoted).
As someone said previously: This project is waay too big and cool, to be abandoned. Even if you're last person on the world, you should continue with it. Not trying to flatter you, or anything (personally, I am not big fan of fps), but that is, how it is.
When Aliens dig up our artifacts in 500 years, don't you think it would be cool if they said: "Hey, this game on this hardware works amazing. That guy was smart".
Old 12 December 2019, 19:27   #270
Mathesar

Any news?
Video's?
Demo's?
Old 14 December 2019, 13:58   #271
meckert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathesar View Post
Any news?
Video's?
Demo's?
KK's been busy lately

http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=84107

https://demozoo.org/productions/271765/

Actually the 2nd link is a 3d dungeon crawler. Just mind the platform...
Old 16 December 2019, 00:57   #272
KK/Altair

Quote:
Originally Posted by meckert View Post
KK's been busy lately
That's exactly what I meant by "demoscene activity for Silly Venture". The "Rocket Nation" for VCS was the group project where I helped my fellows from Altair.

Quote:
Actually the 2nd link is a 3d dungeon crawler. Just mind the platform...
After hearing that you can actually win a Lynx console in the Lynx compos, I really wanted to give it a fair shot. And what's better show off than a 3D engine running where it's not supposed to? Especially when I already had some kind of expertise in the topic. The competition was tight (Mortal Kombat port!!), but, well... now I've got my own real Atari Lynx.

But back to the project, I'll already got back to struggling with Resolve, video editing and making corrected voiceovers. I kind of manage to find my way here, but the process is hopeless on just one 1920x1080 screen (I can barely see what I have clicked on previews - and how I'm supposed to comment that?). So it's high time to get a second screen to get really going with this.

Anyway, I'm aware that if I invested all this time into coding, instead of learning how to make and voice videos, I'd probably already have varying floor levels and maybe even another map ready. But I really want to share the process instead of just the product. And you have no idea how many cool moments were already missed by now - coming up with various hacks, fixes, getting new things working, but also times where I completely lost faith in the project thinking I could never get it to playable framerate.

EDIT: Anyway, the "party version" of the Lynx dungeon crawler game is downloadable & playable online at THIS link.

Last edited by KK/Altair; 16 December 2019 at 00:59. Reason: Adding link
Old 16 December 2019, 01:36   #273
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
[...] The competition was tight (Mortal Kombat port!!), but, well... now I've got my own real Atari Lynx. [...]
Congratulations !!!
Old 18 December 2019, 00:05   #274
d4rk3lf

Quote:
EDIT: Anyway, the "party version" of the Lynx dungeon crawler game is downloadable & playable online at THIS link.
Hey this is looking great, and plays great!
We want A500 version!
Congrat on the win.

I also saw Mortal Kombat, these guys did amazing job too.
Old 30 December 2019, 14:57   #275
KK/Altair

Quote:
Congratulations !!!
Thanks!

Quote:
Hey this is looking great, and plays great!
We want A500 version!
Congrat on the win.
Thanks! And yes, the A500 version could be fun, but for now it's probably better to focus on the real thing.

So while we are on the topic, I think I'm getting some kind of hold of this video editing and voiceovering thing.
If you'd like a sneak peek, here are 3.5 minutes of what I have managed to get edited so far.
Just enough to create a basic two-sector map from scratch, convert it and run in WinUAE.

[ Show youtube player ]
(unlisted, so don't spread this link too much)

Just don't judge too harsh. Especially considering my laptop's cooling fan - I simply have no idea how to get around it.
Old 30 December 2019, 20:34   #276
Mathesar

Quote:
Thanks!

Thanks! And yes, the A500 version could be fun, but for now it's probably better to focus on the real thing.

So while we are on the topic, I think I'm getting some kind of hold of this video editing and voiceovering thing.
If you'd like a sneak peek, here are 3.5 minutes of what I have managed to get edited so far.
Just enough to create a basic two-sector map from scratch, convert it and run in WinUAE.

[ Show youtube player ]

Just don't judge too harsh. Especially considering my laptop's cooling fan - I simply have no idea how to get around it.
A video!!!! Finally

I must say that you Sir, are a perfectionist! Nothing wrong with this video. Precise and to the point, I like it . If I would have to give any feedback at all, it would be that the audio level seems a bit low, I had to turn the volume way up on my laptop.

The tool you made ("dreadtool") to convert the wad files looks very eleborate. Dreadtool makes it so easy to make custom maps, especially with the built-in preview mode. Really professional!

Great work!
Old 30 December 2019, 20:46   #277
Mathesar

Quote:

Plays very nice! I was expecting some quick levels to showcase the engine but this plays better that I thought! Once passed the graveyard the baddies become tougher very quickly.
This promises a lot for the Amiga Doom clone
Old 30 December 2019, 22:47   #278
KK/Altair

Quote:
I must say that you Sir, are a perfectionist! Nothing wrong with this video. Precise and to the point, I like it .
I know I'm perfectionist. Because I feel literally everything is wrong with this video - starting from the omnipresent fan noise (I work on the laptop, so there's probably no way around that) to how every single phrase could be improved. But better done than perfect, so once I got a part half-acceptable, I moved forward. But I'm glad you like it.

Quote:
If I would have to give any feedback at all, it would be that the audio level seems a bit low, I had to turn the volume way up on my laptop.
Thanks. You are second person to point that out. I'm using low cost audio interface (Behringer Xenyx 302USB), so I kind of lost feeling of where I am on the volume scale. I should be able to fix it in next update to this video, as well as try using noise gate of some kind. Right now I'm only using limiter to equalize volume of separately recorded phrases (I record a few sentences at a time).

I'll continue working on this video (cutting & voiceovering), because I still have recorded material where I build two rooms with some decorative details and insert the first enemy - which should be enough for the first eposide.

Quote:
The tool you made ("dreadtool") to convert the wad files looks very eleborate. Dreadtool makes it so easy to make custom maps, especially with the built-in preview mode. Really professional!
It's more like an everexpanding blob of various test functionalities. The built-in preview was done first, before I even touched any Amiga code, to check whether the whole idea is worth doing: e.g to test the importer, whether the maps will be readable at this resolution, what framerate would be absolute minimum, etc. But on the other side, typing file names in the C++ code instead of the "open file" dialog is completely opposite of "professional".

Quote:
Plays very nice! I was expecting some quick levels to showcase the engine but this plays better that I thought! Once passed the graveyard the baddies become tougher very quickly.
This promises a lot for the Amiga Doom clone
Apart from making fun engines, I like making a fun game from time to time, and with Silas Adventure I wanted to make something that felt at least a tiny bit like a dungeon crawler. But considering the limited amount of maps (and no procedural generation), enemies, items, missing graphics and complete lack of quest I still have to consider a "quick engine showcase" at this stage - which of course doesn't mean you can't extract 10-20 minutes of fun from it.
Old 30 December 2019, 23:36   #279
Yulquen74

I viewed your small video on my laptop, and I did not feel that the audio quality was much of an issue at all, to me it sounded pretty clear. And for the content itself, I found it very interesting and informative.
Old 31 December 2019, 20:19   #280
d4rk3lf

Quote:
[ Show youtube player ]
Hey, your converter didn't convert the floor and ceiling? I am very disappointed!

Just kidding

This is awesome! I am speechless!
Truly!

You did editing very well. Straight to the point. Nothing more needed.
If you still want to have more fluidity, you can easily achieve that just by adding some (very low volume) music bellow your voice over, and when you, for example, just wanna show the level, just leave music (without your voice over), for several seconds, and that's it.
Look at videos of "Modern Vintage Gamer" on youtube. That guy DIDN'T know how to edit, but learned, and now he is doing that very well, and relaxed.
But then again, you did a great job.
Your job was to provide info, and you did that very well, the rest is just finesse.

I have to ask you about your great converter.
This is so much more huge project then I anticipated. So, we will be able to create levels very easy, and it's great. I assume you already know how to convert enemies, and doom type quests (keys and doors).
Now, this "quest" stuff bothers me. Will there be a possibility of any other type of quests, rather then: get a key here to open door here?
I mean, if it's only keys, it's awesome It's still much more then I thought it will ever be.
But if users were able to create some kind of (very primitive) rpg... that would be... beyond dream.

Quote:
Why would you care?
I know I sound rather arrogant, but usually people that only criticize and judge everything somebody else made, never made anything.
I demonstrated that in my first 2 sentences of this post.

Cheers!