English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 20 December 2010, 00:37   #1
CritAnime

Some mod ideas

Hi guys.

Been new to the community I don't know if this has already been covered before in other threads. So sorry if it has, also if it is in the wrong area, and please feel free to point and laugh while sending me in the right direction lol

Basically I have an Amiga 600 that I have just bought a couple of CF to IDE adapters for. Partly incase one doesn't work and partly because I plan to buy a 1200 so will need one for the system. But I want to start modding my 600 to get some more life out of the old girl.

And I don't know where to start with the modding.

Basically I want something that will extend and preserve the life of my 600. But also bring some new and interesting things to it while keeping most of the original functionality.

I have seen things like floppy emulators that have been fitted into 600's and this seems interesting. How good are these?

Also what can people suggest to add to one and have you got any good ideas for me to try?

Thanks

James
Old 21 December 2010, 00:19   #2
Amigaman

Hi James,

I too have been away for a while, and used the A600 as a testbed for mods before I will move onto my 1200s.

There are several things that you can do.

Upgrade the Kickstart to 3.1, possibly get a ROM switcher from Amigakit

Install A603 1MB chip Ram expansion (From Amigakit again)

Install the A630 (when it comes out) once more from AmigaKit. No I don't work for them

With the A603 installed you get a local expansion port, the Clockport, found on the A1200. There are several great expansions that work on that, but possibly the most useful is the USB controller, the SUBWAY.

Also, you can plug in the Indivision ECS. This is a scan doubler, and flicker fixer that take the native signal and outputs it to normal flatscreen monitors. This will require sacrifice and removal of the floppy drive.

AS for actual mods rather than hardware you simply buy and install, start with removing the RF modulator from the motherboard. Simply desolder it. Its pretty useless now. Keep the Composite out though, that can be useful. In its place, use the output of the Indivision. Thats what I did.

Another mod idea some peopl ehave done is the installation of a CD drive. As there is little room inside an A600, you probably won't be able to fit both an A630 accelerator card AND the cd drive, though I suppose it depends on where you put the drive. It might be possible to put it in where the floppy drive was. You will need an slim (9.5mm) laptop style CD/DVD drive and an adaptor like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Laptop-Slim-DV...item1c17fb1a52

This is the project I am working on at the moment;

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=56875

There is another site that may give you ideas;

http://www.amiga600.de/

Also, do a search for someone called Cammy. She has a great A600 setup.

Once you have tried to shoehorn all that stuff in, might be worthwhile upping hte power supply. The DIY route you might want to check out this very helpful page first;

http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/Amiga/am..._supplies.html

Just to let you know, a Micro ATX power supply fits (though snugly) into the older, larger A500 power supply box... just.

Hope that is enough to get you started

Graham
Old 21 December 2010, 06:17   #3
CritAnime

This might sound really daft but whats an A630?

==Edit==

A quick search showed me the way to the knowledge I seek. Forgiveth me for been so special

I like you little mod too. I may have to go invest in one of those speaker sets. But kill the lighting lol.

As soon as I can offord the mods I will do it.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by CritAnime; 21 December 2010 at 06:28.
Old 21 December 2010, 09:35   #4
Amigaman

No worries matey.

Get yourself over to Amibay as well for parts and more advice. A lot of the people here also are on there, usually under the same name.
Old 24 December 2010, 06:08   #5
CritAnime

After some thinking I have decided I am gonna go for the A603 to get that clock port. I am also going to go with USB support aswell but I am not gonna get the scan doubler as I don't want to lose the floppy drive.

I do have an external FD but it's tempromental to say the least. So relying on it would be nothing short of a bad idea. Maybe when the FD does decide to die I will consider replacing it with a Indivision ECS Scandoubler and fitting one of those floppy emulators. But until that time it will stay there lol.

The ACA 630 looks interesting though. My main aim it to eventually play Frontier Elite II properly. And this seems like it would acheive my dream of been able to play it properly after all these years of it chugging on my little 600. However do you reccon I need to upgrade my psu for this?
Old 29 December 2010, 19:37   #6
Amigaman

Yes, probably worthwhile upping the power supply a bit. Amigakit sell them, plus there are mods available.

http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/Amiga/am..._supplies.html

This page tells you everything you need to know.
Old 30 October 2011, 06:11   #7
CritAnime

Well today is my birthday, happy birthday to me and all that lol, and I have decided to treat myself to some mods for my 600.

I kind of put this project on hold while I paid for my wedding. it cost enough without adding the costs of modding my machine too. So now is time to bring back the modding ideas.

The plan is:
1) Buy a CF HDD - Done
2) Buy the 604 - Next thing
3) Buy the Indivision ECS
4) Buy the 630 accelerator thing - This is gonna cripple me lol.

It seems in the time since I first did this post the 604 clockport expansion has come out. Meaning I no longer have to lose the floppy drive in order to make this work. So yay on that lol. I am just wondering if I should upgrade the Kickstart rom. And if I do I am unsure on how I would do it. the other option I have is to keep the current Kickstart and buy one of those double kickstart boards.

Any suggestions are greatly welcome. I will start posting pics of the project once it gets started.
Old 30 October 2011, 07:01   #8
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CritAnime View Post
I am just wondering if I should upgrade the Kickstart rom. And if I do I am unsure on how I would do it. the other option I have is to keep the current Kickstart and buy one of those double kickstart boards.
I have upgrded my kickstart to 3.1. It's a fairly easy upgrade as the kickstart is in a socket, so all you will need is a small flat blade screwdriver and lots of patience.

Start by inserting the screw driver underneath the old kickstart chip and lever up slightly, then do the same on the other end of the kickstart chip. Repeat the process until the kickstart chip is free of the socket. You will hear a cracking sound as you lever the kickstart chip, don't worry, this is normal. Also never lever the kickstart chip from one end or take one side out before the other as you will bend the pins.

Another upgrade I would suggest is to get a kickstart switcher and a kickstart 1.3 chip. This will allow you to play games that wont run on anything above kickstart 1.3.
Old 31 October 2011, 00:30   #9
CritAnime

Yeah this is the upgrade I have been thinking about doing too. Buying one of the switcher boards from amigakit and then getting the 1.3 rom. But I was unsure about doing the KS 3.1 till I could afford the accelerator for the system.

One quick question though. I won't need a bigger PSU just for the scan doubler will I? I probably wont be able to afford the accelerator until around christmas. So I want to be able to use it on my monitor asap lol.
Old 01 November 2011, 06:53   #10
CritAnime

This might sound really backwards but.....

If I got one of the ATX PSU's from Amigakit and I didn't bother to put it inside a case would it be safe to touch. I mean as an unmodified product direct from them. I know this sounds daft but when it comes to the time I need one I dunno if it would be safe to just leave on my desk or to try and slide it into the housing of a dead amiga psu.
Old 01 November 2011, 21:45   #11
prowler
Global Moderator

Yes, it should be perfectly safe, as long as the mains lead has all three wires connected - including the Earth - thus grounding the exposed case.
Old 02 November 2011, 00:04   #12
CritAnime

Awesome.

Just started modding the system gonna post some pics once I get them off my camera.