English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 26 September 2012, 13:18   #1
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

DH0: Read attempt outside partition

Ok. This is with a new CF Hd, transcend, 8Gb. First when making the partitions I had a problem as it was recognized as Unit 7. Old thread: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=10153
and I posted a couple of days ago:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
...today I've received an 8Gb Trascend Cf and I was getting the same message, Unit is not a disk, Type 7. HDTools let me create the partitions, but after that it only was showing one to format, DH0.
First I've tried to clean the disk in the PC and format it again later, but it was the same, and later I've tried with this Aminet patch: http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/HDToolBoxPatch
that describes perfectly my problem. But after editing it in Hex and changing the code to what it should be (well, the line wasn't the one they say in the readme), it did nothing.

But... I've copied in the PC PFS3ds to DH0, and after changing the file system in the miggy now it shows all the partitions .

Dunno if I'll have to recheck something else later.
Well, now I've got the partitions created and I'm using PFS3DS,
BUT:

- Yesterday running FixHDDsize it was telling it had 4Gb instead of 8Gb.

- Version scsi.device tells me it's 43.35... but I searched in DEVS and there wasn't any scsi.device. I've copied it there now and today FixHDDsize tells the disk is installed correctly, with 8Gb (edit dunno why, but it's like that).

- But if I install the Fast Ata drivers with more than PIO3 (it lets me till that), I've got that message of Device DH0 read attempt outside partition.

-DH2, the largest partition doesn't show in my magellan system it's real size, but I believe that's not a problem.

Is there something I can try/do?
Thanks a lot

Last edited by Retrofan; 27 September 2012 at 00:36.
Old 26 September 2012, 14:00   #2
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Transcend cards are often problematic. Most reliable seems to be Sandisk.
Old 26 September 2012, 14:08   #3
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Thanks. Is that your solution?
Old 26 September 2012, 14:10   #4
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Basically yes, I had to replace my transcend with SanDisk few years ago in my A600 because of similar problems
Old 26 September 2012, 14:52   #5
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

I guess I'm lucky then, my 4gb Transcend (PFS3ds) never caused any problems in my A1200.
Perhaps it's only 8gb cards there seems to act up ?
Old 26 September 2012, 15:37   #6
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I've got a 32Gb working perfect. Perhaps Thomas knows anything to try.
Old 26 September 2012, 17:18   #7
thomas

First of all you should make sure which version of scsi.device you are actually using.

Or better, choose one and use only this.

There is version 40 of scsi.device in the Kickstart 3.1 ROM.

Devs:AmigaOS ROM Update (comes with OS 3.5 and 3.9) generates scsi.device version 43 when loaded by SetPatch.

ATA3.driver generates version 50 (MK-II) or 60 (MK-III).

A file called scsi.device in Devs: is of no use unless you have some command in startup-sequence which loads it.

Note that if you have FastATA hardware you should only use the ATA3.driver version of scsi.device. Also make sure that you use the latest version of the ATA3.driver. Older versions might have problems with CF cards.

Once you are sure that the driver is working correctly you might run the FixHDDSize utility to find out the size of the CF card as it is seen by the driver. You can only use what is seen by the driver. If WinUAE sees more, it does not help you with your real Amiga.

You might want to use the normal PFS3 version (not DS) with the FastATA driver. This is because when partitions are first mounted after power-on only version 40 of scsi.device is available. Version 40 only sees the first 8 GB of the drive but offers an API (Direct-SCSI a.k.a. HD_SCSICMD) which could potentially access more. This might be a reason for the "access outside partition" error if the partition crosses the 8GB boundary. With the normal PFS3 version partitions above or crossing the 4 GB boundary will not work at all until ATA3.driver is loaded.
Old 26 September 2012, 19:26   #8
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Thanks. You see, Predseda? That's an answer (joking).
Ok, I will change the first partition to PFS3 to start, and it's possible that I made the same with another Cf where it works right. First I'll make a backup
Old 26 September 2012, 20:38   #9
Cammy

I have had the same "Read attempt outside partition" errors with PFS3DS-formatted 4GB CF drives too. It happened so often that I decided it was time to backup what I had and start again on a new 8GB drive. Then the 8GB drive started having the same errors, even though I was only operating within the first partition which was under 4GB, the second one wasn't even mounted. I ran the PFSDoctor tool and ran a repair job on the drive. It found plenty of errors and fixed them up. I have been using the drive without any errors ever since! I don't know why they happened in the first place, but I'm glad that PFS3Doctor was able to find and fix them for me. I just wonder if any of my files will be missing or corrupt after the repair.
Old 26 September 2012, 22:31   #10
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Thanks Cammy, but in fact I tried yesterday PfsDoctor twice and it didn't find any error.

Thomas your instructions are perfect because they explain how this works, but still no success. I've installed PFS3 in DH0 (only) and I've commented the SetPatch command in the s-s, but I keep with the message.

Now I will try to use Pio3 that lets me boot and disabling setpatch again, just to see the scsi.device version.

Edit: No, I can't do it that way. If I disable scsi.device first it was complaining that coudn't open my bootscreen. Disabling bootscreen it was booting, but then I had the message of that mmu.library and mutools must be run after Setpatch (off course, now Setpatch is disabled).

Will see what scsi.device version I've got in the other Cf where the fast ata works.
It's "50.-1" (so the one generated by the ATA3.driver for my MKII). But I don't know how to make magellan to use it instead of the one generated by AmigaOS Rom update
Edit: I've put
C:SetPatch QUIET SKIPROMUPDATES "scsi.device"
and now the version I've got running is 40.12. I must make it use the other now.

Edit: What does it mean, that it's loading the kickstart version? But if I've got the fast ata commands in the s-s... How do I make it to use their scsi.device? And not sure if I must completely delete NSDPatch, although I've got it disabled in the s-s.

Last edited by Retrofan; 27 September 2012 at 12:19.
Old 27 September 2012, 11:53   #11
thomas

Please run Check4GB. The version displayed by the Version command might not be correct if the module is patched in memory.
Old 27 September 2012, 12:49   #12
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Yes, I know the stackattack is very big, but I haven't found any problem with it. It's the one Amigakit has (for WinUAE, yes).
Really I find with the miggy very bizarre problems. I changed the Cf because the other had an small DH0, and it has 4Gb only. Well, I've repartitioned it and installed the same "Amikit" that in the other, ... but it doesn't boot in this Amiga. It doesn't boot and it doesn't let me enter in the early startup; it only shows the Install Disk. If I use the install disk it doesn't show any partition, if I use HDTools it shows them, but after rebooting there is none. OK. Now I take this Cf that doesn't boot and try it in another Amiga with just an ACA1231/42 and it boots perfectly, and the same with WinUAE. I don't know what to think.... a bad IDE cable? Why it boots other Cf's an now this can't? Ok I'm going to make this Cf from the beginning again.
Edit: In the old Cf it doesn't boot as long as I use the ATA3.driver and ACATune. Really I think I should leave the one of the thread with just Pio3... but I'm thinking to install Magellan till the Amikit update over a CWB39 in the 4Gb Cf.

Edit: 50.0 is the real scsi.device version I'm using with it now? Because I've got the same problem still. And BTW the Cf (16Gb) that runs till Pio 5 (better Pio4) has PFS3DS on DH0.

Last edited by Retrofan; 27 September 2012 at 23:15.
Old 28 September 2012, 10:47   #13
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Predseda I beg you pardon. Ok, I said I had a Cf running right with Pio4 a CBW39. That's a Sandisk 16Gb. I've taked the 4Gb Cf, that is a Kingston one and I've installed now a copy of the system of the Sandisk. The message I've got just when booting now is DH0: Read attempt outside partition.

So nothing I can do but to buy a Sandisk.

Last edited by Retrofan; 28 September 2012 at 14:25.
Old 28 September 2012, 12:33   #14
thomas

What about file system block size, number of buffers, value of MaxTransfer?

block size = 512 bytes
buffers = 200
MaxTransfer = 0x1fe00

should be used.
Old 28 September 2012, 13:05   #15
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I use to leave 150 for the first and 250 for the rest. Rest is ok. I will try changing to 200 or more.
Edit: It doesn't work with 200 or 150 or 600.

I'm going to try SFS. It isn't so fast, but it will be if I get it running with Pio 4 or 5.

Last edited by Retrofan; 28 September 2012 at 13:38.
Old 28 September 2012, 14:00   #16
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
I use to leave 150 for the first and 250 for the rest. Rest is ok. I will try changing to 200 or more.
Documentation says that between 100 and 300 is needed depending on partition size. So 150 for DH0 and 250 for the others should be ok.

Quote:
Edit: It doesn't work with 200 or 150 or 600.
Note that once you get the error message the file system structure has been corrupted. You need to repair it first before the message disappears. Corruption can be caused by wrong settings, but the message will not disappear only by correcting the settings.
Old 28 September 2012, 14:01   #17
thomas

BTW, do you insist on using AmiKit? Can't you try it with a proper OS installation? AmiKit is so deadly patched that everything can happen.
Old 28 September 2012, 14:29   #18
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
BTW, do you insist on using AmiKit? Can't you try it with a proper OS installation? AmiKit is so deadly patched that everything can happen.
Jeje. No, this is now with CWB39, the same that I've got running in the 16Gb Sandisk with Pio4. I'm planning to "upgrade" it with magellan till 5.82 and then copying files to get the Amikit version.
Really the miggy likes to make rare things. Now I changed just DH0 to use SFS and then... it sees no partition in the Cf, even under WinUAE, so I'll have to remake all.

Edit: So do you think that the 8Gb Trascend can be corrupted too? How can I "clean" it? PFSDoctor did anything.
Old 28 September 2012, 15:32   #19
thomas

Quote:
Now I changed just DH0 to use SFS and then... it sees no partition in the Cf, even under WinUAE
Do you do this on the real Amiga? And do you boot from floppy disk to do this, i.e. without fastata.driver? Then it could be a MaxTransfer issue. HDToolbox itself does not care at all about MaxTransfer. If RDB + partition blocks + file system code is bigger than 128KB then it corrupts during writing.

You should do this either with fastata.driver running or on WinUAE using UAE controller and uaehf.device.

If remaking everything is a lot of work it might be worth to recover partitions with RDBRecov. http://thomas-rapp.homepage.t-online...s/rdbrecov.lha
Old 28 September 2012, 17:42   #20
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

No, now it just too much. Now booting with SFS I've got blockid errors, and I did everything with WinUAE.
Time to change the mb and install all in another. I have the idea it's somekind of timing fix that it (still) needs.