English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 03 February 2018, 05:57   #61
snowpile79

Awesome!!! Thank you!!

Sorry for the delay with the video. Here is the game running on my a1200 aca1233n 68030 40mhz 128meg ram

I let the demo run since it was hard for me to hold the camera and play at the same time. Totally playable for me. Doom plays well too. Wolfenstein is a bit slow.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 03 February 2018, 10:41   #62
BSzili
old chunk of coal

No problem, thanks for taking the time to make the video. The demos are recorded at 17.5 FPS, but if it's faster than Wolfenstein 3D then it's probably not too shabby ingame I guess :P
Old 03 February 2018, 12:10   #63
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowpile79 View Post
Awesome!!!
+1.
Even if I enjoyed playing Doom with friends (net play) when it came out, I must admit I am not fan of such games. Anyway, what we see on the video is simply great !
Good work !
Old 15 February 2018, 15:55   #64
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Since the bugfix update was picked up by many Amiga news sites, I decided to clean things up a bit while I have everybody's attention. I fixed a few bugs and replaced some inefficient code. As always, it should be available on Aminet soon.
Old 23 June 2018, 18:30   #65
Valken

I started to test these in WinUAE 4.0 and 030/040/060 JIT configs both run it OK until the door opens or when the AI shows up, then speeds again.

Any idea for a more smoother config?
Old 23 June 2018, 19:52   #66
BSzili
old chunk of coal

What do you mean by "speeds again"? Could you capture some footage of the problem?
Old 23 June 2018, 21:05   #67
Valken

I should have clarified.

Load the game, watch the demo, the player runs around smoothly, then

the AI begins to appear, the game slows down.
AI get shots, then the game speeds up again.

then it repeats... I am unsure why the game speeds up, slows down, speeds up... I am unsure why it does this. I am using JIT, FASTEST, 030,040 or 060.
Old 23 June 2018, 22:27   #68
BSzili
old chunk of coal

I see. I just upgraded to WinUAE 4.0 and don't have this problem, so I have no idea either.
Old 24 June 2018, 07:32   #69
Valken

SOLVED - set CHIPSET to CYCLE EXACT ON with JIT, fastest CPU speed and it worked!

If Cycle Exact is turned OFF, with fastest blitter, it goes into the slow/fast/slow/fast mode...

Weird in that DoomAttack was not effected.

I will try other ports to see if this will work as well.

I am supremely happy that the Amiga (ok, WinUAE with AGA/RTG/060) can run all the 16 bit Id Software Games... at full speed! And the scaling makes it look even better despite the 320x200 resolutions.

Is there a hack to enable STRAFING for this and Wolf 3D? That is where Doom excels over the old Wolf Engine.
Old 24 June 2018, 09:24   #70
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Interesting, I didn't need cycle exact chipset to get it to work. The strafe key is ALT by default.
Old 24 June 2018, 13:08   #71
Valken

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSzili View Post
Interesting, I didn't need cycle exact chipset to get it to work. The strafe key is ALT by default.
Weird. I will try to turn OFF JIT and see if cycle exact will be required or not.

Regarding strafe, I meant separate key binds to strafe left and strafe right ASWD style instead of 2 keys at a time!

Once you go mouse and KB on PC for FPS, it is very hard to go back to arrow and modifier keys.
Old 24 June 2018, 20:39   #72
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Blake Stone doesn't have separate strafe keys, AFAIK the first id engine that had them was Doom.
Old 09 November 2018, 12:18   #73
AMIGASYSTEM

Successfully tested "Blake Stone Planet Strike" on WinUAE, the game is fast the music and the sounds work well, see video.

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 09 November 2018 at 23:23.
Old 17 August 2021, 05:52   #74
Cammy

I was excited to see that the Blake Stone games were 90%-off on Steam this last weekend so I bought them and transferred the files over to my Amiga so I could finally give these games a try. Unfortunately both seem to suffer a problem with graphical corruption and flashing screens. I thought it might be a conflict with FBlit or BlazeWCP and disabled them, but this didn't affect anything. The system I'm running them on is an A1200 with Kickstart 3.0, Workbench 3.1 with AHI installed, and a 8MB RAM card (no accelerator). The game plays through the demo, and I can start it from the menu screen, but the whole time I am seeing the screen flashing black, and sometimes the palette is all messed up.

Last edited by Cammy; 17 August 2021 at 06:24.
Old 17 August 2021, 06:46   #75
BSzili
old chunk of coal

I'm afraid these ports won't work without at least an 030 accelerator. FBlit or BlazeWCP shouldn't be an issue, as the game uses its built-in C2P routine for native screens.
Old 17 August 2021, 10:20   #76
AmyMor

The same thing happened on my system too
As long as I had the blizzard 030 50mhz the games had graphical glitches
I only played them with the arrival of the Vampire
Old 17 August 2021, 14:08   #77
Cammy

Okay, I tried running the games on my A1200 with a 28Mhz 030 and they ran perfectly, so I copied them to the internal drive. Then when I tried playing them, they glitched out in the exact same way they did on the 020. When run from CF card (FAT32) they run fine, and when run from Ram Disk they run fine. Just not from the PFS internal partition. So I thought maybe I'd try again on the 020, this time from CF, but it was glitchy still.

So I at least understand how to play it now, so I am having lots of fun tonight. Thank you very much for your wonderful ports!
Old 17 August 2021, 15:02   #78
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valken View Post
SOLVED - set CHIPSET to CYCLE EXACT ON with JIT, fastest CPU speed and it worked!

If Cycle Exact is turned OFF, with fastest blitter, it goes into the slow/fast/slow/fast mode...

Weird in that DoomAttack was not effected.

I will try other ports to see if this will work as well.

I am supremely happy that the Amiga (ok, WinUAE with AGA/RTG/060) can run all the 16 bit Id Software Games... at full speed! And the scaling makes it look even better despite the 320x200 resolutions.

Is there a hack to enable STRAFING for this and Wolf 3D? That is where Doom excels over the old Wolf Engine.
I think amiwolf supports strafing...
Old 20 August 2021, 14:06   #79
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
Okay, I tried running the games on my A1200 with a 28Mhz 030 and they ran perfectly, so I copied them to the internal drive. Then when I tried playing them, they glitched out in the exact same way they did on the 020. When run from CF card (FAT32) they run fine, and when run from Ram Disk they run fine. Just not from the PFS internal partition. So I thought maybe I'd try again on the 020, this time from CF, but it was glitchy still.

So I at least understand how to play it now, so I am having lots of fun tonight. Thank you very much for your wonderful ports!
Thanks, but wonderful is a bit too generous considering how many issues you've had with them At least you've found a workaround for this problem. When I'll have a chance to revisit this port, I'll probably get some cheap 030 accelerator to test it. It's one of my earlier attempts that didn't get a lot of testing outside of WinUAE, I've also learned a few things since.
Old 26 October 2021, 20:23   #80
rabidgerry

Just wondering has anyone else any suggestions for me to try.

I can get this game to work under my WINUAE 060 setup so long as I select an AHI mode that will allow the game to run with crashing at the beginning or without fucked up graphics and then a crash.

However when I try run this on my real Amiga with Apollo1260 @80mhz the game does not load no matter what 8bit AHI mode I select.

Just to clarify as well, I am able to actually run the CF hard drive in WINUA and play the game with a 060 setup. But when I plug the card into my real Amiga it gives me a left click mouse button to continue error over and over and can't get past this and end up having to reboot.

So far I have a ClassicWB OS3.1 CF card with the game running in WINUAE and OS3.2 CF card with the game able to run in WINUAE both under a similar 060 config to mimic my real Amiga.

If anyone has anything else for me to try I'd be grateful. Have also messed with the caches on and off doesn't make a difference.

BSzili has also tried to help me (he has same accelerator as me) with this but nothing so far get's it to work on actual hardware for me.