English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 29 November 2009, 20:09   #1
acadiel

HXC Floppy emulator and external port

Hey guys -

I have one of these HXC floppy emulators (http://hxc2001.free.fr/floppy_drive_emulator/index.html) and I'd rather not open up the A1200 to hook it up.

Does anyone know someone who can make an external cable to the floppy port to hook this up? Or, is there an external floppy that I can use and strip the cable from? (I looked in an A1010 and the connector isn't compatible.)

Thoughts?

Thanks

Old 29 November 2009, 21:45   #2
Jope
-

Not much point in making it external, unless you're only planning to use it for transferring data.

Not too many trackloading games will support booting from DF1, and you'll have to do modifications to your motherboard to swap DF1 and DF0..
Old 10 March 2010, 19:21   #3
imstarryeyed

Greetings first time poster but I have been following you folks for a while and got the itch to pull out my old Amiga CD32's and A500 system.

I bought one of these SD Card emulators from some fellow in AtariAge and it works like aces. I too have the dilemma in how I could make it work with an external floppy port?

I have 2 external floppy drives one which I am willing to gut to interface the board, but a simple disconnect of the drive in the case & a reconnect of the HxC board dont work. I wonder if there is some special pinout from the external floppy drives?

I have one of those DF0/DF1 switch boards in my Amiga 500 but pulled it out because I am currently using the internal header of in the 500, which works great. The only problem I have is that I have this ugly cable coming out of my floppy drive bay.

I would ideally like to gut an external floppy drive, reinstall the floppy switcher and use the drive for my A500 and SX32 (which only has an external DF0.)

Has anyone had any success with this type of mod?

Great board, I am so glad I am finally jumping in!

Old 10 March 2010, 19:29   #4
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by imstarryeyed View Post
I bought one of these SD Card emulators from some fellow in AtariAge and it works like aces. I too have the dilemma in how I could make it work with an external floppy port?
Hi imstarryeyed, and welcome to EAB!

To use one of those floppy drive emulators, you just need to make it respond to the appropriate Drive Select signal.

When mounted internally, it responds to the Drive Select 0 (DS0) signal. When you have it connected as an external drive you just need to get it to respond to the Drive Select 1 (DS1) signal (assuming you wish to configure it as DF1: ) by wiring the DS1 line to the DS0 connection on the emulator.

To find out the details of these connections you will need to seek out the internal drive data pinouts as well as those of the external floppy drive connector.
Old 10 March 2010, 20:49   #5
imstarryeyed

Greetings Prowler, thank you for the warm greeting! It seems everyone on this board is very nice and not really full of ego which is great.

I will check the schematic and see if I can change the drive select to work. I would however would have thought that the unit would have worked straight up on my external port of my A500 when I use that DF0/DF1 switchboard but it doesnt seem to work.

The reason I am trying to get this to work is that I am thinking of getting one of that Analogic CD32 floppy expansions that are on Ebay right now and hacking it to work with the floppy emulator rather than the floppy drive that is currently in it.

Has anyone had any success in making an interface for the HxC Floppy Emulator to an external floppy port?

Thank you again for your insight it is greatly appreciated.

Old 10 March 2010, 21:10   #6
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Is your Floppy Emulator HXC SD standalone?
Here saxabar has connected via the exteranl floppy port
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=50583
Old 10 March 2010, 21:14   #7
imstarryeyed

Thanks BooBoo, I didnt even see that part of the pic since I am using a tiny screen netbook. I will examine it and see if I can get it to work as well.

Thanks for the heads up!