English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 13 February 2008, 14:54   #1
orange

OS4 classic installation

I'm trying to install OS4 classic on A1200, bppc, aga only (no bvision) from HDD
I get error, something like this(IIRC):
'cannot bind to interface iffparse.library'

after that installation seems to continue.

and after a while an orange requester pops up, mentioning asl.library and icon.library?
Old 13 February 2008, 15:16   #2
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Great as EAB is, I am sorry to say that for OS4 support, amigaworld.net is the best place.

Good luck
Old 14 February 2008, 10:11   #3
Slayer
Amiga Member

Is it a legit version? Installing OS4 is a simple self contained process... that doesn't involve execution from the HDD only installation to one

one hint there... you must ultimately boot from the CD prior to trying to install it

Last edited by Slayer; 14 February 2008 at 10:14. Reason: spelling
Old 17 February 2008, 16:22   #4
Stokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
you must ultimately boot from the CD prior to trying to install it
No you don't.

1) Use an empty partition, we'll call it OS4: for this guide
2) Copy the contents of CD0:System to the root of your target partition
3) Copy the Startup-Sequence from CD0:Installation-Files to OS4:S
4) If you don't have USB or ethernet hardware, comment out the AddNetInterfaces and USBCtrl lines in the Startup-Sequence
5) Delete any unneeded monitors from Devs/Monitors
6) Boot from OS4: and set Input, Locale, Timezone, Screenmode and other preferences.

Much quicker than using the installer.

Last edited by Stokey; 17 February 2008 at 17:07.
Old 17 February 2008, 20:01   #5
Slayer
Amiga Member

knowledge acquired in hindsight no doubt... the installer does a few more things other than the obvious...

in any case, yes, this could very well work... the default startup-sequence however seems to have "AllowBasepageAccess" by default... don't think that is for everyone...

also... if it doesn't work in the end it's harder to troubleshoot...

but hey, I'm all for bypassing normal procedures myself... thing is though, you need to also be armed with a more indept understanding of the Amiga...

what I was hinting at is if you had the original kit I doubt very much you'd have trouble installing it... outside having an incompatiable monitor display...
Old 18 February 2008, 10:28   #6
Stokey

Quote:
knowledge acquired in hindsight no doubt... the installer does a few more things other than the obvious...
Knowledge acquired in hindsight? I don't know what you mean by that.

Quote:
in any case, yes, this could very well work... the default startup-sequence however seems to have "AllowBasepageAccess" by default... don't think that is for everyone...
It does work, no "could" about it. "AllowBasepageAccess" seemed to be necessary for my install, and having it doesn't seem to be a major problem, according to the docs.

Quote:
also... if it doesn't work in the end it's harder to troubleshoot...
I disagree. Using the installer gives almost no insight to the process, my method at least gives some clues.

Quote:
but hey, I'm all for bypassing normal procedures myself... thing is though, you need to also be armed with a more indept understanding of the Amiga...
How do you get a greater understanding? By rolling up your sleeves and getting your hands dirty, that's how. Read the docs, edit the files, see the effect. It's not like we're talking about WinXP. AOS4 is an OS that you can mess about with easily.

Quote:
what I was hinting at is if you had the original kit I doubt very much you'd have trouble installing it... outside having an incompatiable monitor display...
Read some of the other Amiga forums, there have been several common problems with the installer.
Old 18 February 2008, 11:06   #7
kriz

Many people have had problems installing it.
Old 18 February 2008, 20:15   #8
Slayer
Amiga Member

@Stokey

most ppl have trouble installing things because they don't read things properly prior to installation...

the hindsight remark refers to what one must go through initially to acquire added insight... i.e. whoever constructed the instructions you gave explored the cdrom and arrived at these conclusions...

as for the AllowBasepageAccess the docs clearly state not to use it unless nothing else works... it is designed as a work around for ill programmed software... like the FastATA 4000...

the reason I said it was harder to troubleshoot simply refers to more energy needed in conveying each step you took to get to the point where something goes wrong

but anyway Stokey I've wasted enough energy of my own... lol you remind me of someone I once knew
Old 18 February 2008, 20:18   #9
Stokey

Quote:
@Stokey
whoever constructed the instructions you gave explored the cdrom and arrived at these conclusions
That was me.
Old 18 February 2008, 20:47   #10
Slayer
Amiga Member

*grin*

I didn't want to assume that you were the author and it wasn't a compliment but an explanation of my hindsight statement

But yes, feel proud of helping people... there doesn't seem to be enough of those type hovering around these days... I can't be bothered myself even posting half the time
Old 18 February 2008, 22:10   #11
Stokey

Quote:
there doesn't seem to be enough of those type hovering around these days... I can't be bothered myself even posting half the time
You were certainly bothered enough to hang around and try to discredit any attempts to help, even if you couldn't come up with any solutions for the OP.
Old 18 February 2008, 23:24   #12
Slayer
Amiga Member

I've re-read the entire post and the only thing I've concluded is it's a discussion of points and opinions with some facts thrown in...

Scrutiny or elaboration shouldn't be taken for attempted discredit... I'm sure orange has what information they needed and abandoned the thread ages ago... what continued was our personal journey... lol

I think we can safely lay that to rest too... I certainly don't want to start down the path of personal considerations...

my only concern was someone was installing an illegal distribution of os4 since the information presented to orange points to outside normal parameters...
Old 08 March 2008, 15:39   #13
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

Then all the other people who encounter problems with the instllation(as in other forums is seen) are using pirated copies?
Old 09 March 2008, 07:15   #14
Slayer
Amiga Member

of course not... but the way it was introduced

from HDD and references about can't find/bind to various libraries just made me wonder... if one was booting from the CDRom as instructed I'd doubt you'd get errors of this nature... the CDRom is self contained, it does not need anything outside... it possibly needs to detect the presence of certain files to validate hardware or what not but any serious missing libraries would probably mean the machine really shouldn't be operating... lol

shoot me for considering the possible cause of an OS4 installation problem could be based on a non standard distribution
Old 09 March 2008, 15:19   #15
twizzle

i have an original os4.0 cd,
and found a glitch, i cannot enter the mediatoolbox from the install script to setup the hd`s partion`s & to edit the file system to use,

the only way, was to open up the os4.0 cd / system folder and go into mediatoolbox that way to setup the hd.
Old 09 March 2008, 15:38   #16
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

Ok, Slayer, now i get your point of view . But still, i read on other forums people who were having problems installing the os "out of the box" from their original floppy and cd, so i guess it could be a problem given the diverse combinations of hardware an a1200 could have.