English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 28 January 2003, 00:57   #1
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Question Java Problem

Not strictly Amiga related I know but it's something that's been bugging me for a while. I've been tryng to access my bank's secure server webpage which loads up Java applets. It looks like it can't find one of them and it fails. I'll be buggered if I know how to fix it though. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm using Internet Explorer v6.0.2600.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	java.gif
Views:	266
Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	4537  
Old 28 January 2003, 01:35   #2
Drake1009

Only idea I could come up with would be that they have a problem with their classpath setup so it doesn't search for the files in the same "directory".

Or maybe it's just the JVM being picky, you using Sun's Java or MS I can't believe it's not Java?
Old 28 January 2003, 09:29   #3
fiath

It looks like your default Java plugin is the Sun one, but your stupid bank insists on using a crappy incompatible one (MS's). It is not like it is particularly hard to be compatible with both!

If you look at the HTML, you will probably see a reference to something like archive=blah.CAB. Cab files cannot be read by the Sun plugin, and hence fail to find the main class.

Firstly, tell your bank they are not Java compatible!
Secondly, goto Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and untick the Sun JVM.

Grr. It isn't the co-operative bank is it? I know they do that...
Old 28 January 2003, 11:36   #4
Drake1009

I'm afraid most banks claim to be Java compatible while not. I know there's one bank in Denmark out of them all who has a Java compatible web interface. And even then you really have to tweak a lot of settings if you want it running through linux.
Old 28 January 2003, 16:27   #5
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by fiath
It looks like your default Java plugin is the Sun one, but your stupid bank insists on using a crappy incompatible one (MS's). It is not like it is particularly hard to be compatible with both!

If you look at the HTML, you will probably see a reference to something like archive=blah.CAB. Cab files cannot be read by the Sun plugin, and hence fail to find the main class.

Firstly, tell your bank they are not Java compatible!
Secondly, goto Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and untick the Sun JVM.

Grr. It isn't the co-operative bank is it? I know they do that...
Yup your right I'm using the Sun Java plugin. Anything that's an alternative to Microshite I'll use it.
I'll send a complaint to my bank about being non-compatible. I'll try out your advice tonight when I get home. Sounds good though. Oh and guess what fiath. You're absolutely right, it is the co-opershite bank that I'm trying to access. I'll let you know how I get on later tonight. Cheers fiath.

http://www.co-operativebank.co.uk/
Old 28 January 2003, 23:36   #6
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Happy

It worked great! I changed the option like you said and rebooted my computer and it seemed to work when I tried the website. I also found another site which I'd tried to access before is suddenly working now I've changed that option. It's the who wants to be a millionaire website. http://www.itv.com/millionaire
I tried to play the single player game after buying some credit I was unable to submit my passcode. Now I've changed that Java option that "Submit Passcode" page is now working. I guess that must also be incompatible with Sun Java. Totally unforgivable. Anyway thanks fiath.
Old 29 January 2003, 00:10   #7
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve
I also found another site which I'd tried to access before is suddenly working now I've changed that option. It's the who wants to be a millionaire website...I guess that must also be incompatible with Sun Java.
Ironic, innit?
Old 29 January 2003, 01:49   #8
Drake1009

What is ironic twist? That the who wants to be a millionaire site doesn't work with standards but instead uses some perverted twist of it from a millionaire?
Old 29 January 2003, 03:03   #9
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake1009
What is ironic twist? That the who wants to be a millionaire site doesn't work with standards but instead uses some perverted twist of it from a millionaire?
Multi-billionaire, actually.
Old 29 January 2003, 03:42   #10
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
From memory, another site that needs the STONE-OLD M$ Java plugin is http://www.anti-leech.com, which is a site made for downloads of all kinds but with the idea of controlling downloads and prevent bandwidth stealing.
Old 29 January 2003, 09:29   #11
fiath

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Totally unforgivable.
I agree!

Yes, my girlfriend uses that bank, I have already sent them a compaint, perhaps if they get enough they will actually do something about it. There is no excuse IMO.

Even if MS was not involved having to turn on/off options in the settings to get sites to work is sucky sucky IMO (and probably *exactly* what MS wanted, expecting most to be using their version)

Anyway, hopefully (I doubt it will ever happen, no doubt they will slip out of it like everything else) MS will be clowted into actually doing something right:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/28954.html

We should send these stupid sites/banks this link saying their web applications *WILL BREAK* if they do not change it!