English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 10 October 2002, 08:15   #1
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Whatever happened to ... ?

Source: Amazing Computing Volume 3, Number 6 (1988)

Silent Software -- the company that produced Fire Power and Turbo for MicroIllusions -- is working on what could be some of the most fascinating Amiga projects to date. Among these: a series of stories for the adult sci-fi/fantasy magazine Heavy Metal, done completely on the Amiga. Videoscape/screen hack wizard Leo Schwab is among those said to be involved in the project; he'll be doing the 3D routines.

Silent Software's founder, Reichart Von Wolfsheild, is in the process of joining resources with an established programming team in what is shaping up to be a veritable programmer's guild.

"Jackets are being produced...business cards are being printed...software is being designed." When asked for names, Reichart answered simply, "the best." You could hear the gleam in his eye over the phone. A Fire Power sequel -- Return Fire -- and the Sachs version of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea are likely first projects.
Old 10 October 2002, 08:20   #2
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

In other news, Teknoware, a southern California startup company, will be kicking off their Amiga line this summer with two attention-getters: Freeway Massacre, a "fast driving, hardhitting California freeway simulation in which you play the Freeway Vigilante" and Kill or Be Killed, an arcade-style POW rescue described by its developers as "a disk full of violence." Geeez, fellas, maybe you should lay off the caffeine for a while.
Old 10 October 2002, 08:26   #3
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

MicroIllusions is going to turn some heads at June's Consumer Electronics show with the announcement of an exclusive and unprecedented agreement with the cartoon giant, Hanna-Barbera, to produce videogames based on the characters Scooby Doo, Johnny Quest (sic), the Flintstones, and the Jetsons. Look for at least two titles, and perhaps all four, by year's end. MicroIllusions' dungeon adventure, Land of Legends, should be hitting the streets as you read this, with the followup title, Dungeon Construction Set, expected by July. DCS allows you to create dungeons with many levels and mazes -- and design horrific critters to wander 'em!
Old 10 October 2002, 08:30   #4
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Coming in under Epyx' U.S. Gold line, Sports-a-Roni, a game featuring a series of nonsensical games of skill set in various locations throughout Italy. Among those mentioned: Pasta-plate balancing in Pisa, and a gondola-bound pillow fight on the canals of Venice!
Old 10 October 2002, 09:57   #5
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
You could hear the gleam in his eye over the phone. A Fire Power sequel -- Return Fire
Return Fire is the name of a 3DO game, also available for PC, which plays a lot like Fire Power.

Maybe that's where it went to ?
Old 15 October 2002, 14:02   #6
Tim Janssen

Sports-a-Roni is released on the C64 as Alternative Worldgames in 1988. I don’t know anything about an Amiga version.
Old 15 October 2002, 15:12   #7
Drake1009

I didn't know that was it's original title. I bought the game and enjoyed it almost as much as world games.
Old 16 October 2002, 17:12   #8
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

The Jetsons was released as an adventure game by MicroIllusions in 1989.

Also, there was an Amiga release of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by French publisher, Coktel Vision, in 1988. I would have to check if Silent Software had anything to do with it.

As Tim said, Sports-a-Roni was released as Alternative World Games on the C64, but the Amiga never got a conversion.

Dungeon Construction Set vaguely rings a bell, so I'm going to do a little research and check if that ever was released on Amiga.

The rest I've never heard of, but then again I didn't get my first Amiga until 1990.