English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 30 July 2002, 05:44   #1
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

A Rockstar Ate My Hamster

When I first saw this game, I remember I thought "HA! That's a very cool idea for a game!" .

Then I played it a little more... I had a band, I was doing gigs.. then I made an album and a single...

and then... what's the game all about? All I needed to do was to keep doing gigs and I would be full of money very quicky, I could buy any luxuries my Rockstars could want.... I quickly lost interest in the game, and never played it again.

Also there were those random "charity gigs" that could be bad for you sometimes, and you had no way to know what they were about before you accept them. This was quite irritating.

Am I just too stupid to see something else I am missing in the game, or is this one game that had the potential to be a killer game, but in the end, it promised more than what delivered?
Old 30 July 2002, 06:09   #2
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

The game may have inspired our musician buddy Twist, Shatterhand. The game that inspired me must have been Bobble Bubble.
Old 30 July 2002, 07:23   #3
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

LOL

Did twistin eat a hamster ?
Old 30 July 2002, 07:27   #4
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Ah pity the fool

No, he tried doing it with a jelly bat, but some dude named OZZY did that schtick first.
Old 30 July 2002, 08:01   #5
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

hahahahahaha

I think this game was also released in other systems too...
Old 30 July 2002, 10:53   #6
blackcornflake

Quote:
Originally posted by Shatterhand
I had a band, I was doing gigs.. then I made an album and a single...

and then... what's the game all about? All I needed to do was to keep doing gigs and I would be full of money very quicky, I could buy any luxuries my Rockstars could want.... I quickly lost interest in the game, and never played it again.

Also there were those random "charity gigs" that could be bad for you sometimes, and you had no way to know what they were about before you accept them. This was quite irritating.

Am I just too stupid to see something else I am missing in the game, or is this one game that had the potential to be a killer game, but in the end, it promised more than what delivered?
No hidden depths to this game. It is a fairly basic game, involving some management, some prediction and lots of luck.

The aim is to sell as many records as possible. See those four records at the bottom left of the screen? Light all four up, and you win. Takes a lot of doing, as you only have one year.

The big decision is when to record the band's album. As early as possible, to allow more time for sales? Later, to allow higher production values, and also to build up a bigger fan base? You can only do it once. Ideally, the album hits the top 10 and stays there, with occasional single releases on top. Timing is everything.

Gigs are the steady income generator, but they become less important as the year goes on, and record sales take over.

The charity gig is a random risk, as is any publicity stunt. Possible for band members to die in bizarre circumstances. Good publicity boosts sales, however, so another decision to make.

Tip: Be more ruthless - stop pampering those prima donnas with gifts.

I played this on Spectrum years ago, and loved it. The Amiga port is almost identical. As is the C64 one.
Old 01 August 2002, 06:09   #7
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I always thought it was better to wait to record the album, as a better recorder would sign-up.

Still I think it's too shallow.. it had the potential of be much more... but again, maybe that's why it's fun to play
Old 01 August 2002, 06:13   #8
Amiga1992

Woo man, never played this game, heard much about it but I never thought it was so original and (probably) fun!

I'm off to play it
Old 01 August 2002, 11:59   #9
KombatSanta
Pipboy approved

Send a message via ICQ to KombatSanta
I loved that game... even named my band after it, had to change the name due to copyright thingys though to "Popstar ate my hamster"

Never actually finished the game, think most of the features in the game were based on pure coincidence.
Old 02 August 2002, 08:20   #10
Amiga1992

How you like my song names?

BTW I hate this, Spectrum shovelware for the C64! Just like with Skool Daze!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sidneysparkle07.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	3205  
Old 02 August 2002, 09:53   #11
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

You forget the song "Akira get sold on a Buenos Aires street for an empanada and a bag of pork rinds"
Old 02 August 2002, 11:20   #12
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

LOL!

I wonder if I can find those toons on WinMX....
Old 02 August 2002, 15:52   #13
blackcornflake

I like the sound of "I Want Your Momma Baked".

Is this actually a typo, Akira?
Old 02 August 2002, 16:46   #14
Amiga1992

All in there was intentional. From Clive's suggestions I only kept "Hitler was a Hamster"!

Fred: you die for an empanada