English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 15 August 2008, 16:01   #1
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Cool Houston we have S-Video...

When's the last time I posted something of what I'm up to?
When's the last time I posted any Amiga-related p0rn..?

Ok, ok... almost never...

Here you go then:

Click on the images
if you like:
Big-Ones!

Hmmm, giving away a bit here - but not that much

Last edited by Charlie; 15 August 2008 at 16:15.
Old 15 August 2008, 16:40   #2
Shoonay
Global Caturator

/me wants to see more piccies... how you take care of her... how you make love to her...
Old 15 August 2008, 16:48   #3
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

What am I seeing here exactly?
Old 15 August 2008, 17:12   #4
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
is this zetro's board ?
Old 15 August 2008, 17:26   #5
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

That looks like an A1200... can you not get S-Video directly from the onboard video encoder using nothing more than 3 wires and an S-Video connector?
Old 15 August 2008, 17:36   #6
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Ah, further info required, no probs:

There's quite a bunch of stuff on dispaly here - one of my on-going A1200 projects that I've STILL not finished...

The Saga of S-Video:
Once Upon a time...
A certain Wizzard with a soldering iron began a project to build an Amiga VGA-> S-Video adapter - I expect its release to be a truly joyous experience for one & all.
This wholesome plan got Charlie the butcher a-thinking...
'S-Video, eh', I thought. 'My CD32 has S-Video and it produces crisp & tasty output on the old TFT telly.'
I reasoned; 'Why the hell didn't C= put such a port in the A1200? My old C= monitor is taking up too much room, I'm too cheap to buy one of those Indy-vision thingamies...' And low - the light dawned. 'I bet most of the circuitry is already present in an A1200 - time to butcher!'
Well, I journeyed to the far land of SEGA & communed with the guru who is Megadrive. 'So, it's S-Video you want foolish youth. Why come to me for advice when many great sages in the land of Amiga have already beaten you to it?'
Chargined I returned to the pastures I knew with schematics in my hand to discover that indeed Megadrive spake truthfully. I hatched my plan, I guirded my loins...
...While guirding mightyly I stumbled across a guru of wholsome aspect in the shape of DJBase. We spake thusly:
Me: 'Oh great master I have been on a long journey seeking enlightenment.'
DJBase: 'And what is it that you seek my son?'

(This lead me to surmise that he may be no other than Darth Vader himself, but as I'm pretty sure my name isn't Luke I got back to the point)

Me: 'I have been seeking wisdom regarding improved clarity of vision. I have made my plans but have come to realise you've got a better one than me.'
DJBase: 'Ah, that's what they all say. Would you like me to give you one?'
Me: 'Um, an S-Video adapter would be just fine thank you.'

And so it was that I spent a scary hour-or-so giving my darling A1200 the old hot-rodding, and indeed Megadrive & DJBase spake truthfully. My vision is indeed cleared markedly.

Much more might I say regarding the modding of the A1200, but for now I'll invite you to peruse the piccies more closely.

P.S.
Yes, the signals are all there, but the chip doesn't have the grunt to directly drive an S-Video signal. The little circuit board is a signal amplifier.

Last edited by Charlie; 15 August 2008 at 17:43.
Old 15 August 2008, 17:46   #7
adolescent
Powered by Motorola

Damn that's a big pointer! Looks good though.
Old 15 August 2008, 17:48   #8
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Yes, the signals are all there, but the chip doesn't have the grunt to directly drive an S-Video signal. The little circuit board is a signal amplifier.
I see. Where did you obtain the wee amplifier?
Old 15 August 2008, 18:05   #9
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
That looks like an A1200... can you not get S-Video directly from the onboard video encoder using nothing more than 3 wires and an S-Video connector?
More info, please.
Old 15 August 2008, 18:05   #10
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Hmmm, I've heard DJBase is a very nice chap...
...he's also the one who makes that groovy little circuit board.

Things to say:
-There's nothing to stop you doing this yourself, but his version is far better than any horror I might have hacked together.
-Take a close look @ your mobo. There is a small surface mount chip obscured by DJBase's circut in the above piccies. You need to solder four wires to its legs - very fiddly! For me this was getting pretty close to the limit of my skill / equipment.
Old 15 August 2008, 18:21   #11
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
More info, please.
The video encoder on the A1200 motherboard is the Sony CXA1145 which as well as converting RGB+Sync into composite it also produces luma and chroma which are not AFAIK wired up.

This guide for the NeoGeo shows you how to add a fully working S-Video cable to a Sony CXA1145 using a couple of transistors and some resistors and a 74LS273 (buffer).

Quote:
Interesting. This is a custom circuit board? It probably implements something similar to the above guide? (Much nicer).

Quote:
You need to solder four wires
Four? Luma out, chroma out, power & ground?

Last edited by alexh; 15 August 2008 at 18:36.
Old 15 August 2008, 18:32   #12
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
...Four? Luma out, chroma out, power & ground?
Yep.
Old 15 August 2008, 18:38   #13
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

This is the datasheet for a CXA1145 compatible chip (all the CXA1145 datasheets I can find are in Jap)
Old 15 August 2008, 18:50   #14
DJBase
Amiga is my Religion

The small SVideo pcb is based on the real C= Amiga CD32 schematics which is an open secret.
Old 15 August 2008, 18:58   #15
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Thank you alexh!

Charlie, where did you get your amplifier? How much they go for? Is there any diagram how to diy?

The whole thing does not seems complicated, but it would definitely move me to get some better soldering tools. (two solders I have together costed about 10 bucks - zetr0 would kill me if I use that on Amiga )
Old 15 August 2008, 19:58   #16
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Just a hint for people with a broken CXA1145: the CXA1645 is its successor and totally pin-compatible.
Old 15 August 2008, 20:32   #17
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Thank you alexh!

Charlie, where did you get your amplifier? How much they go for? Is there any diagram how to diy?

The whole thing does not seems complicated, but it would definitely move me to get some better soldering tools. (two solders I have together costed about 10 bucks - zetr0 would kill me if I use that on Amiga )
This little beauty is nothing to do with me - it's DJBase's work & very nice it is too.

Schematics?
Apart from being surface mount as far as I can see it's much the same as the version posted by Zetr0 in this very forum - incidentally the reason why I learned of this version.
Also the following links may be of interest - where I got my info from when I was planning to do this myself. (not as well obviously)

S-Video for CXA1145 or MB3514

SEGA Genesis S-Video Mod

(and other stuff)

This Link had info on A1200 specific S-Video butchery. Would likely be the path I'd have followed if I'd done it myself - seems not to be working ATM.

@Alexh:
I've seen complaints on a few forums that the data-sheet for this chip is Japanese only...
...Not relevant to me I'm glad to say as all I've done is follow other's guidance & in the end use another's pre-made circuit too!

P.S.
It's worth saying that though I'm very pleased with the results the soldering is not for the faint-hearted - very fiddly, at least for me.
This is a great mod & DJBase's PCB is a marvellous bit of design IMO. But doing this mod could very easily result in a mullered computer.

I'd say Zetr0's 'Narmi' board has it's own advantages & I'm certainly looking forward to mine.

Old 15 August 2008, 23:08   #18
TheCorfiot
Amibay Senior Staff

Charlie

Nice one Mate AWESOME

TC
Old 16 August 2008, 16:50   #19
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

I also got some months ago the same S-VHS adapter from DJBase for my A1200.
It worked like a charm on my 23" LCD/TV where RGB-->Scart cables gave me some issues with scrolling lines! Excellent quality and very small PCB. Not hard to solder the 4 required cables on top of the U12 chip
Old 16 August 2008, 16:54   #20
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

DJBase's adaptor is equally good for the 600, yes?