English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 05 August 2009, 19:07   #21
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
and Fblit. mpp to make dblpal hires noflicker perfectly usable if vga monitor syncs.
Old 05 August 2009, 20:29   #22
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc.studio View Post
Indeed OS 3.5 can't read OS 3.9 icons

You are confusing 3.5 with 4.0 or something. 3.9 icon file format is exactly the same as 3.5.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.png
Views:	497
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	22278  
Old 07 August 2009, 10:33   #23
DyLucke
Cookie Muncher

I've installed FullPalette already but i don't get the icons with the right colours, i guess i have to edit the palette or somethings thru the app located in Prefs.

However, does somebody an already fixed and saved palette scheme i could use?

Thanks!
Old 07 August 2009, 13:07   #24
thomas

Palette prefs allows you to change the first four and the last four colors. For MWB icons to show correctly you have to fix the first eight colors to MWB colors. So Palette prefs is of no use for you. You have to edit colors 4 - 7 in FullPalette.
Old 07 August 2009, 21:05   #25
Cammy

DyLucke, I have a perfect 16 colour palette for FullPalette which will make your Workbench fly, and all your games, programs and icons should remap quite nicely to it considering the limited colour depth. If you insist on using a slow Workbench and want more colours, you'll have to lock the rest yourself, but this palette has all the colours you need for displaying MUI, Magic Workbench stuff, newicons and glowicons, Workbench games, mod players... this palette has been perfected over years of tweaking by a professional pixel artist to work best with as many Workbench applications as possible.

Save this file, extract the zip and give it a go in FullPalette. You can lock the rest of the colours yourself if you use more than 16, but I'm not sure how you would determine which are the best colours to use.

Good luck!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Perfect16.palette.zip (789 Bytes, 216 views)

Last edited by Cammy; 07 August 2009 at 21:10.
Old 08 August 2009, 10:22   #26
fc.studio
Cat lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
You are confusing 3.5 with 4.0 or something. 3.9 icon file format is exactly the same as 3.5.
That picture shows I'm wrong about OS3.5 couldn't read OS3.9 icons. Thanks for the info Thomas.
However I'm enough sure that OS3.5 showed as dot (.) some icons that OS3.9 showed as "Glow" or similar icons and obviously without problem.
OS3.9 and OS3.5 icon.library are different version. Why this if the icons are the same?
About the speed I keep my opinion. OS3.5 is faster than OS3.9 to update the screen, but now I have to admit that probably the icon images are not the cause.
Old 11 August 2009, 12:28   #27
DyLucke
Cookie Muncher

Hey! Back from some days off. Hehe. It was time to hit the beach.

Well, first i have to thank you for your help here guys.
Unfortunately Cammy your palette presets doesn't work for me, i have all the colours changed and i can barely distinguish anything. But it was worth the try. Thank you for that! However i guess i'll need to edit colours one by one and lock'em as Thomas said.

So... As long as i don't have the time now to play around with that feature, i guess i'll do what Thomas said at first... Just replace the old MWB icons around for nicer ones.

I've installed IconBeFast and hell, it's quite an improvement, windows display all icons really quick on my 030 50 now. I've also used the FBlit and WbControl patch to force icons to use FastRam instead ChipRam, and for now it's working fine.

It's a pity we didn't make it with the palette, but hey, it's a question of having the time.
By the way, i've just received an 882 FPU... Hehe, i'm sorta happy here.

What i wonder now is what kind of libraries or tools could take advantage of it, i've read mpega library could use FPU but doesn't give more performance than the integer version for example...

Maybe i should open a new thread about this...

Thank you everybody!!!!
Old 16 August 2009, 00:41   #28
Doobrey
Hamster tamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-Matt View Post
Another possablity is the new exec installed with os39 which is mostly written in c instead of fast asm (for portability)
OS3.9's Exec isn't all new or 'mostly written in C'.

It's a fixed up version of the one in 3.1, the only stuff written in C is the new AVL tree functions tacked onto the end of the original asm code. (IIRC, they're used by the memory pool functions)

As a rough 'pull a magic number out my ass' guess, I'd say at least 95% of it is the same as the v40 exec from 3.1
Old 16 August 2009, 03:54   #29
Cammy

Here are a couple of screenshots of my Workbench running with this 16 colour palette - http://home.exetel.com.au/amiga/Grab150809.png and http://home.exetel.com.au/amiga/UbuntuBench.png

I just changed themes to show how versatile it can be. I'm running IBrowse, WookieChat, EaglePlayer (in the first screenshot) and AmiNetRadio, which is streaming music from the net. It uses WinAmp skins so you can change its look too.
Old 16 August 2009, 22:16   #30
prowler
Global Moderator

That's a very useful Workbench setup you've got there, Cammy.

But... But...
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
No-one uses their Amiga today as a serious computer. It's just a bit of fun, nostalgia. Something to play retrogames and watch demos on.
Old 17 August 2009, 02:53   #31
DyLucke
Cookie Muncher

Wow Cammy, your setup is impressive with only 16 colours, really!!!

However, in my case, i'm using OS3.5 and the current embedded GlowIcons setup, running 256 colours, and i can't display MWBench icons properly, what is not a problem itself, i'm just replacing the current MWB icons around with actual GlowIcons or NewIcons that are displaying properly. But i've find another issue. I tried on the ExoticIcons for some games i've installed here, and i have the same issue. Colours are displaying completely wrong.

No matter if i use the NewIcons or the GlowIcons release, i end up with the same result.
Maybe it happens because wb is actually using a lot of colours, so ExotIcons can't display the proper ones?

I do think these ones use up to 64 colours each, so they need 64 free pens in the palette... Maybe it could happen i don't have enough free pens left? Hmmm

Could somebody drop a fullpalette setup that works with exoticons?
Old 17 August 2009, 04:52   #32
NovaCoder

What menu bar is that Cammy & what's it like to use?
Old 17 August 2009, 09:38   #33
Cammy

It's called Workbench2000, it has a start menu that you can add stuff to, or browse your drives, task bar buttons for each window which can be configured to show the right picture, or block windows you don't want to show as buttons, and it shows iconified programs and commodities in the tray. Its really good to use, but I get a lot of shit from people because it looks like Windows... but Microsoft just ripped off their ideas from RiscOS/Arthur's tasbar and other dock and menu launcher programs.
Old 17 August 2009, 09:46   #34
DyLucke
Cookie Muncher

Micro$oft always rip ideas from other sources...

Stacker, QEMM, Norton, MacOs, RiscOS, Netscape... Even if we come back to the beginning, mr. Gate$ stole from Gary Kildall (the real genius there).

Micro$oft only has two things... Marketing marketing marketing and stealing stealing stealing.

Hell, i laugh on your monopoly Billy...
Old 17 August 2009, 11:15   #35
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
It's called Workbench2000, it has a start menu that you can add stuff to, or browse your drives, task bar buttons for each window which can be configured to show the right picture, or block windows you don't want to show as buttons, and it shows iconified programs and commodities in the tray. Its really good to use, but I get a lot of shit from people because it looks like Windows... but Microsoft just ripped off their ideas from RiscOS/Arthur's tasbar and other dock and menu launcher programs.
That palette looks very good for only 16 colours as well, nice work.