English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 07 February 2013, 13:45   #21
ikonsgr

Ooops,i forgot it!
Sorry for that,i wasn't did it on purpose,so please don't get mad!
If i upload other versions without workbench disk would be ok?
Old 07 February 2013, 20:45   #22
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonsgr View Post
Ooops,i forgot it!
Sorry for that,i wasn't did it on purpose,so please don't get mad!
It's not a matter of getting mad. The EAB rule regarding copyrighted files must be observed to protect the website from legal action by copyright holders.

I accept that you may have forgotten on this occasion, but please don't do it again.

Quote:
If i upload other versions without workbench disk would be ok?
If you replace those archives containing the Workbench disk with versions which do not, that will be OK and then you may restore all the links.

It is a worthwhile service you are providing here, and it would be a shame to put that in jeopardy by including a copyrighted file which most Amiga enthusiasts can readily lay their hands on. Thankyou for your co-operation.
Old 08 February 2013, 19:54   #23
ikonsgr

Ok, thanks for explaining.
If i may ask, do you happen to know how many years copyright protection applies on computer software?
To tell you the truth, i was really surprised the first time you told me there is a "copyright" issue on a piece of software nearly 30 years old (workbench 1.3 is "copyright 1987" if i'm not mistaken...), not to mention the fact that workbench disk is indeed a "file which most Amiga enthusiasts can readily lay their hands on" as you said in your previous post. :-)
Old 08 February 2013, 20:04   #24
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
If i may ask, do you happen to know how many years copyright protection applies on computer software?
http://inventors.about.com/od/copyri...expiration.htm
Old 08 February 2013, 22:41   #25
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
To tell you the truth, i was really surprised the first time you told me there is a "copyright" issue on a piece of software nearly 30 years old (workbench 1.3 is "copyright 1987" if i'm not mistaken...), not to mention the fact that workbench disk is indeed a "file which most Amiga enthusiasts can readily lay their hands on" as you said in your previous post. :-)
Most Amiga enthusiasts actually own Workbench disks for use with their Amiga machine and many of those also own an Amiga Forever CD which gives them not only a Workbench 1.3 disk image, but most of the others too, plus the Kickstart ROM files needed for Amiga emulation.

Cloanto are licenced to distribute the Classic Amiga Workbench disk and Kickstart ROM images, and they publish Amiga Forever CDs and DVDs on a regular basis.

It is Cloanto's right as sole distributors of these files which we are required to respect by discouraging their 'distribution' by anyone else, and their licence is not set to expire in the forseeable future.
Old 08 February 2013, 23:20   #26
ikonsgr

Funny thing is, that my original thinking of adding the workbench disk (although you don't need it at all in order to use the adf transfer kit), was to help somehow ,anyone who might have his wb disk lost or destroyed, so in a way, it's like "distribute" a disk , to someone who has already the right to own the disk, anyway!

And frankly,i doubt anyone ever noticed or used the wb disk...

Anyway,i've just upload the... "legitimate" versions, so now ,if you like,can you restore the links?

Last edited by ikonsgr; 08 February 2013 at 23:27.
Old 08 February 2013, 23:38   #27
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Anyway,i've just upload the... "legitimate" versions, so now ,if you like,can you restore the links?
Can't you restore them? It's just a matter of editing your posts.

Also, I'm not sure whether I have the correct links any more.

If you really need me to do it, I'll give it a go, but if they're not correct, then you'll have to adjust them.
Old 09 February 2013, 14:54   #28
ikonsgr

Ok,i'll add it my self then, thanks!
Old 09 February 2013, 21:04   #29
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Ok,i'll add it my self then, thanks!
Yep, everything's fine now!
Old 21 February 2013, 11:31   #30
trydowave

So this wont work with my A500 1.3 then?
Old 21 February 2013, 21:46   #31
prowler
Global Moderator

Yes, of course it will - on any humble A500. Read the first post through again - this time carefully.
Old 27 February 2013, 15:25   #32
trydowave

when i transfer by serial it says 3 minutes, but it feels a lot longer, is it really 8 minutes then? Just got this cable delivered today and it is indeed a lot faster.
can it transfer other things than adfs?
cheers
tony
Old 27 February 2013, 18:21   #33
demolition
Unregistered User

You can transfer any file.
Old 28 February 2013, 00:17   #34
trydowave

What i mean is through aexplorer I can copy files over to ram disk, df0, df1 etc. This bale comes with a floppy and a program that says transfer image adf only. I'm only using it for adfs at the mo, which is great, but in future, when i get a hdd, i want to know if theres a way to copy over other stuff using the parallel cable?
Old 28 February 2013, 00:21   #35
s2325
Zone Friend

If I remember correctly you can connect Amiga HDD to PC, just don't allow Windows to format.
Old 28 February 2013, 00:39   #36
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trydowave View Post
when i transfer by serial it says 3 minutes, but it feels a lot longer, is it really 8 minutes then? Just got this cable delivered today and it is indeed a lot faster.
Hi Tony,

Amiga Explorer (or at least the version I use) seems to base its estimate of time remaining/elapsed on a transfer rate of 57.6kbps, whereas it is possible to achieve only 19.2kbps in most situations using a serial cable - hence the 3:1 inaccuracy.

Quote:
This bale comes with a floppy and a program that says transfer image adf only. I'm only using it for adfs at the mo, which is great, but in future, when i get a hdd, i want to know if theres a way to copy over other stuff using the parallel cable?
If the program is coded to write only ADF images to disk, then it probably can't be used to copy other file types to your Amiga via the parallel cable.

Of course, the parallel cable gives much faster throughput than the serial cable, and it would be a shame not to be able to take advantage of this. I have a program called Amiga2PC, IIRC, which works with a parallel cable. I'll see if I can find it and I'll upload it for you if it can be distributed.
Old 28 February 2013, 01:00   #37
trydowave

thanks prowler
Old 28 February 2013, 22:08   #38
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Tony,

I have just found the Amiga2PC program CD. It's actually called Amiga to PC Linkup, and it was supplied with an Amiga to PC parallel port linkup cable.

If there's no information on the CD relating to the cable wiring, then I'll have to find the cable as well.

I'll post further information tomorrow when I've looked at the files on the CD. (This machine doesn't have a CD-ROM drive, unfortunately, and the program will be useless to you if your parallel port cable won't work with it.)
Old 01 March 2013, 11:08   #39
trydowave

Cheers for that Prowler. On another note... Can you have a look at my other post (better then me writing it all again here) regading file transfers from amiga to pc and HDDs.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=68135

Thanks,
Tony

Amiga500
1mb
ks 1.3
Old 01 March 2013, 21:59   #40
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Cheers for that Prowler. On another note... Can you have a look at my other post (better then me writing it all again here) regading file transfers from amiga to pc and HDDs.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=68135

Thanks,
Tony
The link posted by desiv in that thread,

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
Less expensive "hard drive" options:
http://www.simon.mooli.org.uk/AF/art...DWIN/GW03.HTML
(scroll down a bit)

If you have a PC with a parallel port, that's generally preferred to serial as it's faster.
And you'll most likely be making/finding your own cables.
They are not always "standard" so be careful with cables.

That said, I believe Kipper is working on a CF/RAM expansion too....

desiv
...in the Network PC section has details of the PC2Amiga program, which is similar to 'Amiga to PC Linkup' I have on my CD-ROM.

I still haven't found the parallel port cable, and there is no cable wiring information on the CD (I bought it from eBay complete with the cable), so I'll check out the Aminet download and see what that contains. The cable is likely to be very similar if not identical to the one I'm looking for, and that might help me find it, as it has no distinguishing features apart from the internal wiring.

Edit: PC2Amiga is no longer on Aminet. I'll check my Aminet CD collection for that archive...

Last edited by prowler; 01 March 2013 at 22:44.