English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 17 March 2019, 11:47   #461
DeaTure

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
It can look good with 8 colors, just needs hell of a lot of work, i can't imagine anyone recoloring all these assets for fun. Then how would anyone fit all the frames at 512k. Probably just play a bit, then stop-load next assets, repeat.

Also need to rethink about the 2nd playfield and do it as tiled backgrounds (almost) from scratch.

This is how it would look with 8+7 colors, can't have everything i guess. Well i think it would be acceptable.

Imgpix a playstation 1 developer tool is a very good recoloring tool.. I believe it would do a pretty good job here.

this is a 16 color screenshot

Last edited by DeaTure; 17 March 2019 at 12:57. Reason: adding picture
Old 17 March 2019, 13:14   #462
nobody

I converted manually, not using any auto-recolor application. There is no auto-recolor application that will do better or else you lose details and except that your converted image is around 1 million pixels. The Amiga has only 64 thousand or so.

PS Even Irfanview simple "decrease color" can do something similar if i use 1 million pixels.

Last edited by nobody; 17 March 2019 at 13:22.
Old 17 March 2019, 13:25   #463
DeaTure

Quote:
I converted manually, not using any auto-recolor application. There is no auto-recolor application that will do better or else you lose details and except that your converted image is around 1 million pixels. The Amiga has only 64 thousand or so.

PS Even Irfanview simple "decrease color" can do something similar if i use 1 million pixels.

I agree completely, a tool will never do it as good as in hand.. here is a tool color reduction of enemies in 8 color, i know i am a coder and therefore i find this acceptable :P

Last edited by DeaTure; 17 March 2019 at 13:29. Reason: adding picture as i am super lame
Old 17 March 2019, 13:51   #464
nobody

It can be done decently in 8+7 colors. Sure, cut corners here and there, drop a massive amount of frames, drop some backgrounds etc.. Also I think it has more "character" than using 16 colors. Question is who will do such a task.
Old 17 March 2019, 14:03   #465
mcgeezer

Quote:
It can be done decently in 8+7 colors. Sure, cut corners here and there, drop a massive amount of frames, drop some backgrounds etc.. Also I think it has more "character" than using 16 colors. Question is who will do such a task.
Ace Rimmer would have a good go at it.
Old 17 March 2019, 14:05   #466
DeaTure

It is quite a task, it is currently not something i would have the time or energy to do

just a preview of 8 color bobs on 8 color background

Old 17 March 2019, 14:12   #467
nobody

Surely is a madman's task as the title says lol. Talking about 2 years of work.
Old 17 March 2019, 14:18   #468
sandruzzo

Main character can be made by HW SPRITES with its' own 16 colors! I think 8+8 colors works well!
Old 17 March 2019, 15:15   #469
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Maybe I am alone here with this opinion, but I think in this case (and for probably every other port you could imagine) 8+7 looks horrible and would be a shame for the Amiga.

For something that looks like that in the end, I wouldn't want to even begin coding this, knowing I will be working on this project for the next two years at least.

I mean, come on. This wouldn't even have parallaxing.
And would use up six fucking bitplanes for something that looks like it's been made on a ZX Spectrum.

This would be using 5 Bitplanes, but also no parallax.

Well, that problem with the memory is a bit worse here, I concur. But I'd rather take less enemies and less crazy actions the player and enemies can do and go for this graphical quality. And like I said before, converting assets would be a breeze.

And this quick conversion even uses up colours for the HUD. Which I would put under the screen somewhere.

Yes, you have big objects to blit, but..

* 240 x 160 means lot of free dma
* can use a triple buffer (again, not that huge for that size, 72kb. Need to add some margin area for objects to enter and leave, though.)
* All bullets should be drawn by a sprite multiplexer and don't need to be blit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	metalS.png
Views:	1300
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	62503  

Last edited by Tigerskunk; 17 March 2019 at 15:38.
Old 17 March 2019, 15:52   #470
nobody

Probably you are talking about some A1200 version with extra ram right? 5 bitplanes on a game that creates a mayhem on screen on A500?
Old 17 March 2019, 17:01   #471
sandruzzo

@Steril707

With copper you can have tons of colors. With 32 colors, maybe some sprites can be used for parallax
Old 17 March 2019, 17:13   #472
Master484

Quote:
5 bitplanes on a game that creates a mayhem on screen on A500?
Amnios.
http://hol.abime.net/3265

At times screen is full of stuff, with even ground shadows for all objects. But indeed it's a little bit slow, I think 17 FPS all the time, with slowdowns.

---

Also people have mentioned that Ruff 'n Tumble engine would be great for Metal Slug, because it has lots of action in 32 colors. So some time ago I tested it to see how much it can draw before slowdown happens. And here is a screenshot that I took when I noticed slowdown on Level 3:

So there are 7 big enemies and 2 smaller ones + that big "pop-up turret" in the bottom left corner + 2 player bullets. And Player is a sprite.

And when the screen got this crowded, then some sort of frame-skip started to happen. But it was quite hard to spot. It's a 25 FPS game, and when 25 FPS slows down, it's hard to notice.

So I think the Ruff'n Tumble engine could handle it...with the object amounts of Metal Slug I think it would still be 25 FPS, although with more frequent slowdowns...but then again the original Neo Geo game also slows down often, so it's not a shame if the Amiga version too would be a little bit sluggish.

And maybe 32 colors would indeed be the best color mode for this game...the only problem would be to fit enough GFX to Chip ram, but if it can be done, then 32 might be the way to go. And of course copper tricks can still be used in 32 color mode too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RuffnTumbleScreen.png
Views:	634
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	62506  
Old 17 March 2019, 17:26   #473
nobody

These games have 1/10 of the graphics you need in RAM for Metal Slug. That Ruff screen uses 9-10 tiles of 16*16 all around that just repeat on screen, while Metal Slug requires much, much more. Plus enemies are a lot smaller than (some) gigantic sprites of Metal Slug. 20*24, on Metal Slug probably is bullets size lol. That tank alone on Steril's screenshot is 80*48, the tank above that is 168*100
Old 17 March 2019, 18:02   #474
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Yep, whether you use 3 or 5 bpl, all these objects and their crazy many animation frames are to big for the A500s chip RAM.

In the end you will have to decide where and how you set your compromises.
Old 18 March 2019, 12:05   #475
aros-sg

Grayscale!

That is 7 colors.

With video players like VLC you can see how this looks in motion by making it play video from Youtube and then apply effects (saturation, posterisation).
Old 18 March 2019, 18:01   #476
rare_j
Zone Friend

Not only is it impossible, but with Metal Slug Infinity being released for android imminently, it's not a good time to be taking liberties with their IP either.

Metal Slug Infinity trailer: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 19 March 2019, 10:05   #477
zero

Quote:
This is how it would look with 8+7 colors, can't have everything i guess. Well i think it would be acceptable.

If that came out back in the late 80s it would have have some of the best graphics of the era on the Amiga.

Here's Midnight Resistance for comparison:

Old 19 March 2019, 16:25   #478
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero View Post
If that came out back in the late 80s it would have have some of the best graphics of the era on the Amiga.
Indeed, it looks pretty nice for what it is. Nicer than I had imagined it would look.

Plus, there is no requirement to keep all the colours the same all the time. You could have them change between sections. Kind of like how Turrican I changes the background colour if you enter a cave, but then for the foreground layer as well.

Sometimes I do feel us current Amiga users are a tad hard to please.
Old 19 March 2019, 17:38   #479
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

While that is certainly not untrue, the thing is that we are in 2019 now, and not in 1989.

I guess everybody needs to find his or her own way of setting "boundaries" of what someone finds acceptable or not for an Amiga game in this day and age.

Off course I am only talking for myself here, and what kind of port I would try to make happen. And I have no idea if this is really making more sense or not than anybody elses idea. It's just how I would try to do it...

In the end, if you feel that your idea is the perfect way you would attempt a Metal Slug port, then by all means do it...

Because to me, the person who creates something is 1000 times more important than the person who only talks.
And I am bound to finish Inviyya, so I won't start a Metal Slug port anyway in the near future, even if at the moment I'd love to have a try at some demo.
Old 20 March 2019, 10:33   #480
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero View Post

Here's Midnight Resistance for comparison:

Wow. That looks like a C64 game.