English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 02 December 2015, 14:18   #21
BuZz

Send a message via ICQ to BuZz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I installed RetroPie yesterday on it and messed about all night until I got it right. At first the latest Retropie (I got the Pi 1 version) seems configured for A+/B+ models so the speed is a bit shit, as soon as I ramped up the overclocking (TURBO option worked with the Zero, Pi2 option didn't), almost every damn game that had slowdowns before worked fine. I hope they make a version optimized for Pi Zero.
we don't do any overclocking on retropie by default, so your cpu would be clocked at the default speed (which I believe is 1ghz), but the retropie image for rpi1 is already optimised for the pizero as the pizero is the same arm core as the pi1 etc. I would have thought the pizero should run things like snes / megadrive at full speed without additional overclocking.
Old 02 December 2015, 14:25   #22
BuZz

Send a message via ICQ to BuZz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Can I ask, did you try out Retropie for Pi2 at all? I wonder what the difference is between the Pi1 version and Pi2.

I wasn't sure which to download so I'm downloading them both at the moment. Its a bit shit that you have to wipe over the operating system to install these emulators. I was hoping they could be installed individually like on Windows but there isn't a lot of info on how to go about doing that. I'm really only interested in Megadrive, SNES, Amiga and MAME emulation so I don't want the other emulators that Retropie provides.

Anyway I'd love to fit it into some kind of GBA sized case and retro game on the go. Now that would be awesome!
pi2 is a different arm core (armv7), so the rpi2 image is optimised for that. It won't work on a rpi1 or pizero (raspbian will boot, but none of the retropie components will work). The rpi2 is significantly faster than the rpi1. Some of the emulators we ship with also have armv7 / neon asm optimisations which make a difference (eg. dosbox, ppsspp and others)

you can install individual components with retropie (if you are comfortable in a Linux/debian environment). Once you have checked out the sourcecode from github, you can run "sudo ./retropie_setup.sh" (simple gui) or "sudo ./retropie_packages.sh" (commandline control of components) and install what you want.