English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 05 August 2020, 19:48   #1
Sim085

Cleaning battery leak from motherboard

I have an A500+ which had a minor battery leak. By minor I mean the battery had leaked a little, some visible minor signs on the motherboard but nothing that needed repairs. Back than (I believe must have been 2008) I just cleaned with vodka and that was it.

The motherboard has worked flawless ever since. However each time I open I can always see how the chips/resistors/vias/jumpers in the surrounding area are not shiny as the rest of the motherboard. This always made me worry that some acidity might still be lurking. I did clean the area with isopropyl alcohol once or twice but to be honest did not see much improvement.

I did read that to make sure acidity is no longer eating the motherboard it is best to use lemon juice to kill the battery acid and then isopropyl alcohol to clean the lemon juice.

I was therefore wondering how long should the lemon juice be left on the motherboard before cleaning this with isopropyl alcohol?

Are there any do and don't do stuff I need to know?
Old 05 August 2020, 20:13   #2
Nobby_UK

Until there is no reaction of the acid to the alkaline of the battery ?
IE Fizzing

Prob... less than an hour, depending on level of corrosion
Old 05 August 2020, 20:50   #3
Sim085

So I have gone ahead. Desoldered the battery holder and cleaned the area with lemon juice. I must say some chips/resistors/vias/jumpers have imediatly turned shiny again. Pity I did not take photo before for comparison.

I applied the lemon juice with a small brush. I did not see any "fizzing" but I can sure can see some of those nasty effects which a leak battery usually leaves behind. Will try to see if I have some old photos to see if things have deteriorated from some years ago or not.

Last edited by Sim085; 05 August 2020 at 23:36.
Old 05 August 2020, 23:46   #4
Sim085

I have rinsed and brushed a little the motherboard with isopropyl alcohol and left it dry. While before JP7A jumpers were black, now at least they look metal again. Tested it and everything looks to be working fine so I guess that is good. However, although everything looks to be working, there looks to be some damage around the C12 area where the orange layer of the motherboard (do not know what this is called) has shown up. I have seen some videos where they apply some green like paint. Should I do this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	amiga-cleanup.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	268.9 KB
ID:	68396