English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.aGTW

Old 30 January 2016, 16:12   #1
Aegis
Gentleman

No entry for Argonaut's A.T.A.C.?

I was working at Argonaut when A.T.A.C. was canned and as I recall it was pretty much finished.
Old 31 January 2016, 00:29   #2
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Interesting. What are the chances of finding a playable build?
There's a mention of it on youtube [ Show youtube player ]
Old 31 January 2016, 00:42   #3
s2325
Zone Friend

This slideshow is based on scans only, I have not something more.
Old 31 January 2016, 07:22   #4
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

There was no sign of the Amiga or Atari ST versions on the company server when I was there in 1997. The DOS version got released?
Old 31 January 2016, 14:09   #5
Aegis
Gentleman

I'm pretty sure it was done but when Microprose saw it they weren't happy with the performance (it was slow even on a A4000/040 - I tested it on mine) - it'd be a shame if it's lost because I imagine under WinUAE or on an 060/FPGA Amiga it'd run quite nicely.

Development was done on a pair of A3000's and I'm aware of 3 Argonaut programmers that worked on it - Jon, Adam and one whose name escapes me - artists on it (adapting the 256-colour artwork to Amiga/ST) were Scott and I think a chap called Matt.
Old 01 February 2016, 13:06   #6
kamelito
Zone Friend

Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
There was no sign of the Amiga or Atari ST versions on the company server when I was there in 1997. The DOS version got released?
How about Argasm
Kamelito
Old 01 February 2016, 22:39   #7
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I took the one remaining A3000 when I left Argonaut. The PSU had blown (there was an interesting story about how but i don't remember it) and it had been removed. Now useless it ended up being used as a monitor stand by one of the artists. I was able to persuade her to swap it for an old PC. Replacement PSU and it fired up first time

I met the previous A3000 user, who no longer worked at Argonaut, at an employees (Bodge aka Jon Sanders) house party. I don't remember his name for sure maybe Krister Wombell?

No sign of a.t.a.c.

Last edited by alexh; 01 February 2016 at 22:45.
Old 01 February 2016, 22:46   #8
Don_Adan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
I took the one remaining A3000 when I left Argonaut. The PSU had blown (there was an interesting story about how but i don't remember it) and it had been removed ending up being used as a monitor stand by one of the artists. I was able to persuade her to swap it for an old PC.

I met the previous A3000 user, who no longer worked at Argonaut, at an employees (Bodge aka Jon Sanders) house party. I don't remember his name for sure maybe Krister Wombell?

No sign of a.t.a.c.
You can try undelete option for this A3000 HD. If ATAC files were deleted, you can recover something.
Old 02 February 2016, 00:40   #9
Aegis
Gentleman

Hmm... the name Krister rings a bell but he wasn't working on Amiga stuff so far as I know (and A.T.A.C. was the last Amiga game Argonaut did). Did your A3000 have a small, square Boing Ball sticker on it by any chance? If so then that was definitely one of the dev machines.
Old 02 February 2016, 13:27   #10
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Adan View Post
You can try undelete option for this A3000 HD. If ATAC files were deleted, you can recover something.
I don't remember if it had a drive but if it did, the contents would have been backed up before doing anything. I have lots of archives from Argonaut days. Mainly SNES development including Starfox 2. That was because I was based at ATL (Argonaut Technologies LTD) which was the SuperFX (later renamed ARC) side of the business. Nothing with atac or a_t_a_c or anything like that is in any archive.

Not sure if undelete was available for AmigaOS out of the box. But for sure I wouldn't have thought to have tried it.

The A3000 was swapped for an A4000 in 1999 so I don't have the machine nor the actual drive anymore and lost touch with the person who does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
Hmm... the name Krister rings a bell but he wasn't working on Amiga stuff so far as I know (and A.T.A.C. was the last Amiga game Argonaut did).
I know the A3000 user didn't work for Argonaut when I was there (1997-98). And I know I met him at a party. I just looked at the credits for a few Argonaut Amiga games and that was the first one that rang a bell. But... after a long hard think i believe the A3000 owner was actually someone called "Danny Emmett"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
Did your A3000 have a small, square Boing Ball sticker on it by any chance? If so then that was definitely one of the dev machines.
Not that I remember. As I said I don't have it now. There may be some photos of it at my house. I'll check.

Last edited by alexh; 02 February 2016 at 13:47.
Old 02 February 2016, 13:43   #11
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

What is interesting the credits for A.T.A.C. have Sam Littlewood as lead coder. I sat between him and Pete Warnes when I joined ATL. Both very smart guys.

I remember Jez San always had the newest, fastest car. Lotus Elise, Nissan Skyline etc. I was 19 or 20 and just learned to drive but had no car. I remember Sam had just bought a very cool classic car, a Triumph Stag. Which got me into classic cars.

Last edited by alexh; 02 February 2016 at 13:49.