English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 13 April 2018, 16:25   #261
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Negative buffers would be really bad idea, most likely it would break (at least cause bad display output) any program that change or display buffer value.. Including addbuffers.
Old 13 April 2018, 17:35   #262
E-Penguin
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudje View Post
E-Penguin, I think you will be very dissapointed then to know, that the majority of people in the world using computers cannot...
I am appalled.

+1 for the automatic configuration based on ram then.

Although... At what point does it make the decision? If you boot without fast but then AddMem some in, what should it do? The file system is presumably loaded by that point.
Old 13 April 2018, 18:06   #263
Sinphaltimus

Why not just set it and forget it at 30 and edit the .readme with any important details?
Old 14 April 2018, 00:31   #264
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Why would you want (special case) "slow/small memory" behavior when you more than enough RAM?[...]
In my opinion it's better to leave user input unchanged.
I prefer such things to be well described in the documentation for the user to do the changes himself if needed instead of any automatic changes as it is impossible to know in advance if the setting was not set intentionally.
(even if I know that exist users who don't read the manual - but at the end it's not the coder's fault if users don't read the manual.)

I just think about it now while writing :
- what about adding a check within pfsdoctor in order to inform about non-ideal parameters (only informing) ? Thus leaving the choice to the user to change the value or not.
Old 14 April 2018, 12:48   #265
daxb

Quote:
"Small" memory support probably gets included but I am still not sure how to choose between modes automatically. Available memory size? Less than 1M? Less than 2M?
I would say that a chip memory (0,5 - 2 MB) only system is positive low end. With some fast memory I would say it is still low end but you don't know how much memory is free for usage. E.g. on my OS3.1 install Avail says after boot that 10MB fast is in use out of 32MB. Do you know how many partitions are in use?
Old 14 April 2018, 22:45   #266
kolla
Banned

So who here, apart from Toni, knew already that default values of 30 buffers really means 150?
Old 15 April 2018, 00:50   #267
Sinphaltimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
So who here, apart from Toni, knew already that default values of 30 buffers really means 150?
I did, it's been discussed several times in multiple threads. BUT - it should still be something that's included in the .readme file.
Old 15 April 2018, 09:07   #268
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
As far as I know, this information is only available in some threads here on EAB.
Even in the "readme.txt" that was included in the pfs3aio.lha on aminet this information is not mentioned (VER: pfs3_aio.handler 18.5 (14.5.2014)). So except for digging a bit...
Old PFS3_53 documentation mention a "sanity check" for a value between 70 and 600 (VER: Professional-File-System-II 18.5 PROFESSIONAL-VERSION (20.11.99) written by Michiel Pelt and copyright (c) 1999 GREat Effects Development). Personally I don't understand "sanity check" as an "automatic change".
Hope it helps .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinphaltimus View Post
[...] BUT - it should still be something that's included in the .readme file.
I second Sinphaltimus for an up-to-date documentation.
Toni, do you need some help ? I can dig EAB and propose you some documentation changes. Let me know

Old 15 April 2018, 09:59   #269
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I probably already answered this: 30 -> 150 is not pfs3aio introduced feature and I don't do documentation.
Old 15 April 2018, 11:12   #270
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
I would say that a chip memory (0,5 - 2 MB) only system is positive low end. With some fast memory I would say it is still low end but you don't know how much memory is free for usage. E.g. on my OS3.1 install Avail says after boot that 10MB fast is in use out of 32MB. Do you know how many partitions are in use?
I repeat: it is only meant for very small memory systems. It is not meant for normal use cases!

Like max 2M total and max 2 partitions, preferably 1. Unexpanded system or 1/0.5 trap door with built-in IDE or some IDE only adapter.

But it needs to be in normal mode when system has more RAM because these kinds of configurations are usually "read-only", move card to other system or PC, move data, then move card back and play whdload games. This is the target use case, nothing more.

Quote:
At what point does it make the decision? If you boot without fast but then AddMem some in, what should it do? The file system is presumably loaded by that point.
When partition gets mounted. Use of addbuffers will change amount of used memory (but it can cause fragmentation so dynamic changes are not good idea) but not all "special" small allocations can be changed after initial allocations. It would make this feature too complex.

Addmem is not my problem.

(It is starting to sound this feature is not that useful and will be only used for wrong reasons)
Old 15 April 2018, 11:36   #271
spudje

For me as a simple end-user. Should I wait for a new update of PFS3AIO, or can I use the latest on aminet for setting up a new system?
Old 15 April 2018, 11:50   #272
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudje View Post
For me as a simple end-user. Should I wait for a new update of PFS3AIO, or can I use the latest on aminet for setting up a new system?
You can use latest aminet version. Only functional difference in test version is: softlinks work (I never tested and no one probably uses those normally).
Old 15 April 2018, 12:45   #273
kolla
Banned

Maybe change the name from pfs3aio to pfs3eab, lol
Old 16 April 2018, 11:42   #274
Romanujan

Quote:
softlinks work (I never tested and no one probably uses those normally)
Noone uses them because they are terribly broken - in countless of Amiga utilities. And emulators also. For example I have seen symlink to file being displayed as a directory in some utilities. Or FS-UAE not supporting symlinks in filesystem emulation.

Symlinks in Linux are nice. Symlinks in AmigaOS suck - mainly due to broken support. I use symlinks while emulating Amiga - but these are Linux-level symlinks, completely transparent to Amiga-side software...
Old 16 April 2018, 11:53   #275
Locutus

I think softlinks were used by some of the GeekGadgets distributions, i have some half failing memory of struggling with non working links on ixemul/GG/SFS in the early 2000's....

I'm pretty sure nobody notices as nowadays everyone is just happy if gcc/binutils/make runs :-)
Old 16 April 2018, 13:11   #276
Sinphaltimus

Quote:
I probably already answered this: 30 -> 150 is not pfs3aio introduced feature and I don't do documentation.
I'm pretty sure you could find someone to write up the documentation if they had access to all the info they needed to do so. All you'd have to do is include it in the distributed lha.
Old 16 April 2018, 14:52   #277
Jope
-

A short readme would probably suffice, with the differences to the original outlined. The PFS3 documentation is already rather comprehensive.

As Toni said, he doesn't do documentation. Anyone is free to step up and read through any relevant forum threads, whip something together and offer it to Toni.
Old 16 April 2018, 17:00   #278
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
[...] Anyone is free to step up and read through any relevant forum threads, whip something together and offer it to Toni.
Already proposed. See second part of post #268
If you are patient, will do it (other stuff to finish first - so no release date so far )
Or anybody in a hurry is free to begin today
Old 16 April 2018, 20:43   #279
Jope
-

What's the hurry in an already complete world, as we say around these parts.
Old 16 April 2018, 23:11   #280
kolla
Banned

I use softlinks all the time, and it was a glorious day when ThoR fixed it for ram-handler, which allowed RAM:Disk.info to be a softlink to ENVARC:Sys/def_RAM.info so that saving icon position etc was saved to disk. OS4.1FE now uses this as the official method too.