English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 16 February 2020, 18:30   #41
CD32Freak

Relax, Scrat. You should be more worried that you will have even more traffic to your site than ever before. I didn't release a netlist, so people will have to visit your site to check every connection
Old 16 February 2020, 18:56   #42
kipper2k

it is great that Scrat has his site that can be used as an excellent troubleshooting tool. The release of gerber files for the CD32 board is nice but i wonder just how many people will actually use it to build a new CD32 board. It is not an easy task and there are so many pitfalls involved that 99.9% of people will not dare touch it.
If i ever wanted to do this board it would only be with 1 side assembled with as many components assembled as possible. I am not sure which side would be better to be pre-assembled but the cost to have it done would be cheap, i am thinking about $120 to have 5 (4 layer) boards fabricated (gold plated) and to have the common components added would be about another $40. That would make the task easier but still quite the job.

I dont think there is anything wrong with people using the info to create the board, if the info is on the internet people will use it.
Old 16 February 2020, 22:18   #43
rvctech

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
it is great that Scrat has his site that can be used as an excellent troubleshooting tool. The release of gerber files for the CD32 board is nice but i wonder just how many people will actually use it to build a new CD32 board. It is not an easy task and there are so many pitfalls involved that 99.9% of people will not dare touch it.
If i ever wanted to do this board it would only be with 1 side assembled with as many components assembled as possible. I am not sure which side would be better to be pre-assembled but the cost to have it done would be cheap, i am thinking about $120 to have 5 (4 layer) boards fabricated (gold plated) and to have the common components added would be about another $40. That would make the task easier but still quite the job.

The CD32 depends on increasingly rare and hard-to-find custom chips and other unique parts. One also needs the custom optical drive.

Unless one is transferring parts from a "dead" board, there is indeed little value in making these.

Even then, the removal of parts from a CD32 board is a delicate operation, and it's fairly easy to damage parts (especially the Akiko!)

In my experience, it's easier to repair them, and I have repaired many CD32s, including the Band pass filter and Delay line modules. I challenge anyone to find a board that can't be repaired!*

*Excluding damage incurred by incompetent re-cap attempts or natural disaster
Old 28 February 2020, 17:11   #44
CD32Freak

Arrow

I have renamed the Gerber files conform JLCPCB.com naming pattern and uploaded the files to the repository:

Amiga_CD32_Rev41_bottom_signal.GBL
Amiga_CD32_Rev41_bottom_silkscreen.GBO
Amiga_CD32_Rev41_bottom_soldermask.GBS
Amiga_CD32_Rev41_drils.XLN
Amiga_CD32_Rev41_GND.G2L
Amiga_CD32_Rev41_outline.GKO
Amiga_CD32_Rev41_top_signal.GTL
Amiga_CD32_Rev41_top_silkscreen.GTO
Amiga_CD32_Rev41_top_soldermask.GTS
Amiga_CD32_Rev41_VCC.G3L

Last edited by CD32Freak; 29 February 2020 at 07:53.
Old 29 February 2020, 07:53   #45
CD32Freak

Roll eyes (sarcastic)

I almost ordered some PCB's from JLCPCB with these files, but thanks to Mick and rvctech, I've discovered that the holes of the DB9 connectors are slightly off like on the A600

So only use these files as a reference
Old 29 February 2020, 13:01   #46
Mick

The DB9's look okay, from what I've been seeing a lot things are slightly off it's normal i guess, as long as it fits it doesn't need to be exact.