English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 27 January 2018, 13:36   #1601
strim
NetBSD developer

Quote:
Hedeon's MorphOS cross compiler.
Someone should really document that on the wiki.

On a side note, we're seeing issues with Jenkins builds (again). Stay tuned.
Old 27 January 2018, 20:30   #1602
jack-3d
kLiker

Update about my Sonnet issue: I bought G3/450 from Amibay, but CPU is still on the way from USA to Czech. My Sonnet and Amiga are in a good hands of local Amiga HW expert. He checked situation under the passive cooler and he thinks its not the PPC chip but the memory controller that might be malfunction. Chip's settlement wasnt equal from all sides.

Can anybody tell me if I can buy this chip? XPC107A-PX66LB
Old 27 January 2018, 20:37   #1603
grelbfarlk

Also if someone has other suggestions of open source projects that should be on the list for the "bounty" go ahead and suggest them.
Old 27 January 2018, 22:33   #1604
strim
NetBSD developer

Quote:
Can anybody tell me if I can buy this chip? XPC107A-PX66LB
It's long obsolete. Further research is required, but it might be possible to replace it with one of TSI107 variants (that was produced until not so long ago, so maybe some distributor still have stock?).

AFAIR all variants come in the same FC-PBGA package. The real question is whether, there are no pinout and programming differences.

Last edited by strim; 27 January 2018 at 22:35. Reason: grammar
Old 27 January 2018, 23:02   #1605
nexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by strim View Post
It's long obsolete. Further research is required, but it might be possible to replace it with one of TSI107 variants (that was produced until not so long ago, so maybe some distributor still have stock?).

AFAIR all variants come in the same FC-PBGA package. The real question is whether, there are no pinout and programming differences.
there are and 4 revs but xpc is moto part u can use mpc or tsi or atmel e2v etc etc and there is plenty supply of them

https://www.idt.com/document/apn/tsi...ce-differences

but unless the die is chipped or crack your bridge is fine all that would be needed is it too have a reflow or do it right and rework the whole thing as in take chip off clean and add NEW solder balls put back on board

also the sonnet is a shitty tossed quick together design and is very noisy so that may cause issues with later revs

those extra capacitor spots on the board might help with noise filtering havent really looked at it

might have been for g4 version not sure as never seen one

Last edited by nexus; 28 January 2018 at 01:04.
Old 28 January 2018, 09:28   #1606
k0x

I nominate this guy Károly Balogh / @chainq

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
So since Cowcat didn't want his Rapture, I'm offering one up for free for someone who wants to do some development. Basically make a working executable and supply source for one of the following:
1) Sheepshaver (with sound and otherwise working+some way to transfer data), doesn't have to boot OSX, just Classic MacOS 8.6-9.1. Has to run native PPC version, not "emulating" the PPC as in running at 1/10th speed of a comparable PPC.
2) FPSE with sound+JIT+Joystick support and hopefully GL support (though that may be not reasonable to ask).
3) Maybe other stuff

We'll supply our SDL libs and source and all of the backend stuff we have to help. Recommended you use Hedeon's MorphOS cross compiler as it's the most feature complete platform, but if you want to use classic WarpOS C++ or VBCC in UAE, hey that's up to you. Doesn't have to be 100% Altivec optimized, though that would be nice, but we'd really like it to still run on the Sonnet and maybe at least launch on the CSPPC even it doesn't run so great.

Anyway do one of the above and we'll ship a Rapture G4 with PMC adapter at no cost, other than possibly a large amount of your time.

This is limited to a quantity of just one for now, but another (or more) will probably be available, depending if anyone at all is interested.

Can't guarantee it will work in your system, because of the power requirements, but I'll test it for many hours beforehand.

If all this sounds totally unreasonable and stupid, yeah maybe it is, you don't have to participate.

Oh and since I forgot to say it, whatever software is produced is released for free to the community.
Old 28 January 2018, 16:56   #1607
grelbfarlk

Sure, someone fax him a tweet or whatever. If he doesn't do it, someone get a hold of Christian Bauer
Old 28 January 2018, 22:05   #1608
k0x

@grelbfarlk - nice try

Somebody with twitter -plese send him message https://twitter.com/chainq
Old 29 January 2018, 11:07   #1609
Chain-Q

So, @strim poked me on Twitter - thanks for that -, and now here am I. While I must start that I'm humbled by this offer, I think I'm not the best candidate for it.

First of all, I don't have any sort of Mediator board, and it's not even anywhere near the top on my shopping or wishlist TBH, which is a blocker. (Due to the generosity of a MorphOS developer, I already possess a GRex 4000D, which is more than enough for my classic PCI needs, but that doesn't supply 3.3V volt to the boards, and already has a PPC bundled to it anyway...)

Second, if you want me to develop/port some of my crap to WarpOS (say, Free Pascal), I already have the hardware for it, as that would be comfortably possible on my fine 420Mhz CSPPC, or on any of my MorphOS hardware (which I have a plenty). I have already considered this anyway, because it would improve 68k compilation speeds on my PPC classics... But it's not very high on the prio list... Porting other's random SDL software is not really my interest...

Third, while I do have access to the internal 3.10 beta of MorphOS for classic Amiga/PPC, that's strictly tied (and hardwired) to phase5 hardware, and I only have binaries, no source code - or domain knowledge for that matter - to add the support of an entirely different hardware stack. So that's out of question, sadly.

Fourth, hobby project list: already endless.

Fifth, free time: practically none (because of the above and more).

Other than the points explained above, what can I do for you? %)
Old 29 January 2018, 12:59   #1610
grelbfarlk

Hello, welcome.

Nobody thought you could port MorphOS to this hardware, just that Hedeon's MorphOS to WarpOS cross compiler could be of some porting random SDL software. I understand about having an endless project list that's understandable.

Do you happen to know Christian Bauer?
Old 29 January 2018, 21:20   #1611
Wrangler

So here's a question for the electrical engineers: the latest Mediators supply 3v but at too low a current for the Rapture card. But ATX power supplies also deliver 3v in abundance. What if you connected up the ATX 3v line to a Rapture card that's plugged into a 3v Mediator? Would that work or would the two VRMs fight it out like crossing the beams in Ghostbusters and the universe would end in smoke or something?
Old 29 January 2018, 21:33   #1612
nexus

all u need is a 3.3v line from psu that vrm they added was to use the 5v that amiga use and turn it into 3.3v for the pci and when u do a parallel connection u gain amps volts stay same in series volts go up amps stay same

eg
2 AA batts end to end will give you 1.5+1.5volts=3volts but same maH
2 batts side byside with both ++ connected together and 2 -- connected is parallel which would give you same 1.5v but double the amps

if anyone is gonna mod the mediator i would say either take the vrm off do a straight 3.3v lines to it or add bigger vrm and continue to use your 5v lines or even make a powered pci riser cable that would give 3.3v to anything on the pci bus

Last edited by nexus; 29 January 2018 at 21:41.
Old 29 January 2018, 21:39   #1613
grelbfarlk

We've added VRMs to the Sonnet boards and they still worked fine in 3.3V capable slots so that's not really a concern. Usually 3.3V and 5V are a shared rail on an ATX power supply but if amperage is not a problem then it should work. Though from when I did this on the Sonnet it didn't seem quite as stable as adding the VRM to the Sonnet.
Old 29 January 2018, 21:42   #1614
Wrangler

OK, thanks both. I guess my concern was one VRM putting out 3.34v and the other one 3.27v and they'd fight it out.
Old 29 January 2018, 21:58   #1615
nexus

thats all tolerance +/-5% but as long as you have plenty of amps on 3.3v no reason to use vrm and preferred method would be to use 3.3v straight from psu thats what its there for

3.3 was really added more for sata power that 99% companies never used so even today we have pc psu with 3.3v rail thats not used

also today most psu's that have 3.3v or 5v break that down off the 12v rails eg Power PC & Cooling they are single rails psu's thats like 80+amps all 12v they then use some of that for 3.3/5v rails

Last edited by nexus; 29 January 2018 at 22:09.
Old 29 January 2018, 22:10   #1616
strim
NetBSD developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus View Post
preferred method would be to use 3.3v straight from psu thats what its there for
Coincidentally, this is what happens on Mediator 1200TX (as they feature ATX power connector). Just that we don't support them well enough...
Old 29 January 2018, 22:28   #1617
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by strim View Post
Coincidentally, this is what happens on Mediator 1200TX (as they feature ATX power connector). Just that we don't support them well enough...
Dunno if you read my mind but I was toying with the A1200TX and the Sonnet the last 2 hours and at least voxelspace has been running for 10+ minutes now after some heavy changes to the library. I am talking to Elbox to get version 13 fixed for the A1200. Right now the addresses the Mediator uses are negative (so 0x80000000+) and some funny things are happening, like no info window with voxelspace and missing text using cyberpi. Reading the source it seems it fails on some bmi opcodes at the 68k side. So I asked them to move the 256MB needed to 0x10000000. pci library 13.0 actually has that implemented but it doesn't seem to work on my A1200. The A1200 does not boot correctly with version 13 or 13.1.

Still, don't get your hopes up.

QuakeWOS is erroring with a negative number regarding memory allocation. I still blame the current memory range.

Last edited by Hedeon; 29 January 2018 at 22:44. Reason: Quake error
Old 29 January 2018, 22:49   #1618
nexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedeon View Post
Dunno if you read my mind but I was toying with the A1200TX and the Sonnet the last 2 hours and at least voxelspace has been running for 10+ minutes now after some heavy changes to the library. I am talking to Elbox to get version 13 fixed for the A1200. Right now the addresses the Mediator uses are negative (so 0x80000000+) and some funny things are happening, like no info window with voxelspace and missing text using cyberpi. Reading the source it seems it fails on some bmi opcodes at the 68k side. So I asked them to move the 256MB needed to 0x10000000. pci library 13.0 actually has that implemented but it doesn't seem to work on my A1200. The A1200 does not boot correctly with version 13 or 13.1.

Still, don't get your hopes up.

QuakeWOS is erroring with a negative number regarding memory allocation. I still blame the current memory range.

soon as i get your psu wrapped and shipped today next thing i will try is my micronik z3 with a4k accel to enable z3 and then mod a mediator from a4000 mk3 to enable the onboard pci

http://www.bigbookofamigahardware.co...t.aspx?id=1391

then after that see if it plays nice with a ACA500plus lol

Last edited by nexus; 29 January 2018 at 22:55.
Old 29 January 2018, 23:09   #1619
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus View Post
soon as i get your psu wrapped and shipped today next thing i will try is my micronik z3 with a4k accel to enable z3 and then mod a mediator from a4000 mk3 to enable the onboard pci

http://www.bigbookofamigahardware.co...t.aspx?id=1391

then after that see if it plays nice with a ACA500plus lol
I guess you need something to line up the PCI and the Zorro. :-)
Old 29 January 2018, 23:28   #1620
nexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedeon View Post
I guess you need something to line up the PCI and the Zorro. :-)
yeah just the pci ill use 1 of my riser cables