English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 22 October 2012, 13:11   #1
heALer

dvi-i adapter to indivision aga mk2

Hi!
Just ordered an Indivision AGA for my a1200. Now I'm looking for a DVI to VGA adapter, but i'm not sure which one to buy.
I think it must be a DVI-I to VGA
Here's some pictures:

Should I go for picture number 2 that has all the pins in it?
Anyone that can recommend an dvi-vga adapter that is high quality? I red somewhere that cheap adapters make vertical lines. But all I found is very cheap Is a cable better? That has dvi in one end and VGA in the other?
Thanks!
Old 22 October 2012, 13:20   #2
Riempie
Amiga freak

You can order an adapter from vesalia.

On the order page of the Indivision they offer 2 adapters (dvi-hdmi and dvi-vga). I've got both of them and work just fine.

http://www.vesalia.de/?V02b0f1250534...86b6546687d2c6
Old 22 October 2012, 13:21   #3
demolition
Unregistered User

It's not important how many pins are in it as the ones that are missing in the top picture is not used for VGA.

I'm not sure how big the quality difference is between adapters, but I do know that there is a major difference between cheap VGA cables and the good ones. In my experience, the good ones are thick and hard to bend as they have good shielding in them. The thin ones you usually get with LCD monitors today are of rather poor quality and will often give shadows.
Old 22 October 2012, 13:25   #4
Jope
-

My 2 cents: I haven't been able to see a difference between different DVI->VGA adapters, so buy one that's available and be happy.
Old 22 October 2012, 13:34   #5
heALer

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
It's not important how many pins are in it as the ones that are missing in the top picture is not used for VGA. .
ok, so this adapter from Apple will work? Think I have one of those somewhere...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
My 2 cents: I haven't been able to see a difference between different DVI->VGA adapters, so buy one that's available and be happy.
okey, thanks.. Another question, are you using widescreen monitors or not?

Last edited by prowler; 22 October 2012 at 20:10. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged and quote added.
Old 22 October 2012, 14:11   #6
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by heALer View Post
okey, thanks.. Another question, are you using widescreen monitors or not?
You can use a widescreen monitor, just set it to 4:3 format to get black side borders when using it with the Amiga so it won't get stretched.

And that Apple adapter should work fine.

Last edited by prowler; 22 October 2012 at 20:11. Reason: Fixed quote.
Old 23 October 2012, 16:09   #7
Cymru

Vertical lines are not caused by the adapter but a mismatch between clock frequencies of the MK II and monitor in analog mode (fixable when the MK II software becomes available). DVI-D has no issues and has a great picture also seen with HDMI is used with an adapter. The DVI to VGA adapter just carries the analog signals on the interface forward to a VGA connector. Not all video cards produce an analog signal these days, so really any DVI to VGA adapter will work.

1) Does this make sense?

2) If I am wrong, correct me without calling me an idiot; hurts my feelings
Old 24 October 2012, 01:02   #8
heALer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymru View Post
Vertical lines are not caused by the adapter but a mismatch between clock frequencies of the MK II and monitor in analog mode (fixable when the MK II software becomes available). DVI-D has no issues and has a great picture also seen with HDMI is used with an adapter. The DVI to VGA adapter just carries the analog signals on the interface forward to a VGA connector. Not all video cards produce an analog signal these days, so really any DVI to VGA adapter will work.

1) Does this make sense?

2) If I am wrong, correct me without calling me an idiot; hurts my feelings
Thanks for the explanation!
I came over an 4:3 dvi monitor (dvi-d says the instructionbook) and it is also HDCP ready, what ever that means The connector on the monitor looks like this:

What kind of cable do I need? Sorry for the dumb question but there are so many differents, single link, dual link, dvi-d, dvi-i
Old 24 October 2012, 01:29   #9
Cymru

The connector is DVI-D dual link (dual link = double information capacity.

http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html

This link will explain the differences in DVI A vs D vs I; for the Indy MK II, I would get a DVI-D for your monitor.
Old 30 October 2012, 07:55   #10
supaduper

Hi Had the vertical lines thought I had probs but it was the DVI to VGA adapters being rubbish or Analog only! bought here and now no probs got a clean screen

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DVI-I-to-V...:X:RTQ:GB:1123

Last edited by supaduper; 30 October 2012 at 09:55.
Old 30 October 2012, 19:49   #11
Mr B

Quote:
Originally Posted by heALer View Post
and it is also HDCP ready, what ever that means
HDCP, is a content protection thingy. If your specific media enforces a secure chain, and one component in the processing chain isn't HDCP ready, it simply wont show image. Supposed to limit your ability to use the media you bought, rented or otherways obtained. It goes all the way down to driver level, and is just stupid. You can just playback protected material to a hacked driver with a virtual screen, and capture it again. It's trying to stop you from doing something that is stupid simple to do even after they added the "protection", and pretty much nobody use it.