English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 03 December 2008, 12:33   #1
joshwaan

Purchasing a A1200 questions

Hi Guys

I use the Windows Amiga emulator quite a lot it’s great.

Decided I'm going to purchase the real thing.

Just wondering I'm bidding on eBay a 1200 it's got the following.

" I would describe this computer as being in excellent condition for its age.

Includes 40MB Hard Disk, Floppy Drive, Mouse, Monitor Cable & Power Supply.

It´s been sitting in the cupboard for 10+ years and the case looks really nice.
It´s the usual off-white computer biege colour - there´s no ¨yellowing¨ that people seem to worry about.

Boots to the pink v3.0 BIOS screen & waits for a floppy.

Specs:
Seagate ST9051A 42.8MB / 3600rpm / 19ms Hard Disk
Mitsumi Floppy Disk Drive
BIOS Kickstarts v3.0 39.105/39.106
Commodore 2-button Mouse
25 watt Power Supply
RGB Video Adapter Cable type KRGB1 (has 25-pin connector + 2 RCA´s --> to 9-pin connector) "

This is what it says in the auction.

What do I need to connect it to my 68CM TV?

Also to do upgrades do I need certain board like for 8MB upgrade or something?

Can I use standard 3.5”floppys on the hardware or do they need to be in certain format?

Thanks for taking the time to read my thread J

Josh

Last edited by joshwaan; 03 December 2008 at 12:49.

Old 03 December 2008, 12:53   #2
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshwaan View Post
Boots to the pink v3.0 BIOS screen & waits for a floppy.
that's not good enough. most a1200 capacitors at the audio filter leak by this age. I would ask the seller try a game or demo and see if the sound is ok.

Quote:
what is 68CM ? if it's a normal tv, you can connect with just a composite video cable. For better results, if you have a scart or rgb capable display, you can get a rgb-scart cable.

Quote:
some motherboard revisions create problems with certain accelerators. for 8mb upgrades, any revision is ok I think. I wouldn't worry about that at this point.

Quote:
Can I use standard 3.5”floppys on the hardware or do they need to be in certain format?
amiga uses DD floppies (880k amiga formatted, 720k PC formatted). You can use a HD floppy and format it as DD by covering the hole opposite the write protect tab, but some says it wears the head of the DD floppy drive. It's better to stick to real DD floppies if you can.

You can use a 720K PC formatted floppy to transfer files to/from your PC with a software called crossdos on your amiga (workbench 3.0 should have by default). Your PC can not read/write 880K amiga formatted floppies (not in any way), and your amiga can only read/write 720K PC floppies with the help of crossdos (it can't boot from them)

But I highly suggest you get into PCMCIA Compact Flash adapters for file transfer, much faster and painless.
Old 03 December 2008, 14:50   #3
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
You can also make do with a standard coax (rf) cable while you sort out other options. Good enough for playing games.
Quote:
The kind of board you need depends on what you want to use the Amiga for.
Quote:
Standard floppies are fine, but hd disks are written less reliably with a double density drive, so take that into acount.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coze View Post
But I highly suggest you get into PCMCIA Compact Flash adapters for file transfer, much faster and painless.
Absolutely! Floppies are really a thing of the past, and if there's any way of not having to use them, then go for it!

I sugest you use WHDLoad versions of games with a ram expansion/accelerator and run them from the harddrive. Also, upgrade that old hd and just stick a new one in from the local peecee shop. Just make sure it's 2.5 inch and paralel ata.

Last edited by Thorham; 13 December 2008 at 08:19.
Old 04 December 2008, 04:05   #4
joshwaan

Thanks for replying guys
Where can I purchase parts for the Amiga that ship to Australia?
I found one in Uk but quite expensive.

So with the CF adaptor I can upload my games to that?

So say I wanted to play games like Worms AGA and Captial Punishment what extra hardware do I need. does anyone have anything for sale. I have paypal

Sorry to sound like a noob. Hmm... I'am one hehe

Old 04 December 2008, 04:23   #5
NovaCoder

Quote:
So with the CF adaptor I can upload my games to that?
Yep that is the easiest way

Quote:
So say I wanted to play games like Worms AGA and Captial Punishment what extra hardware do I need. does anyone have anything for sale. I have paypal

Sorry to sound like a noob. Hmm... I'am one hehe
To play most AGA games you'll only need a standard 1200. What you really need to look into is WHDLOAD which allows loads of games to be played on a 1200. WHDLOAD games usually require a memory upgrade (+4mb should be fine).
Old 04 December 2008, 05:48   #6
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Joshwaan

Hello there, welcome to the EAB, theres plenty of retr0-licious mischief around so kick back, relax and enjoy the honey coated retroness that this fair board provides

Sooo a WinUAE'er well then you have a very good start right there. now lets talk A1200, now theres so much you can do with one of these beasties it will make your hair curly, from wirless internet to internal DVDRW's infact anything you can near enough imagine.

but all amiga builds start humbly so lets look at yours.... firstly a stock a1200 is likely to anoy you, you will have to find away to copy games to the FDD and the n load them to play them on the a1200.... this my friend, is no trivial task BUT we amigans are a creative bunch of coocoo's and have devised some clever ways to help you get files from your PC.

heres how

Using a Compact Flash Card and PCMCIA Adapter

Now the above are examples of usuable hardware, if you shop around I am sure you can find it cheaper but please stick to Type 2 CF cards and PCMCIA compatible adapters.

now with the above solution, you can use WinUAE on the PC to transfer files to the CF card and then plug that card into your A1200 and do as you wish with them. now this is great for just converting ADF's to DISKS, however lets look at the next level.

This next level converts the CF card into a Hard drive, this has the advantages in both speed, a much larger size, and a protable setup you can use with the REAL A1200 and an WinUAE setup on the PC.

you will need one of these CF to IDE adapters obvioustly you will need to setup your amiga OS again there are many FAQ's and how to's on the net, have a look around if your stuck come ask

so lets recap.... we are now at level 3, a fully functioning A1200 with Compact Flash Hard disk, awesome!...

now... we need the magic of WHDLOAD... if you are new to WHDLoad, then let me enlighten you, as mentioned before it allows you to install games to the hard disk even games that cannot be read in workbench. groovey eh? .... well it gets a lot better.... over the years WHDLoad has expanded and now you can download Game Packs of pre-installed games... lots of them... like 3.7GB of them.... and our WHDLoad PACK Crusader is non-other than our fellow member Killer Gorilla, he has been creating packs before he was born... some great work... so yes... i think near enough every game is available in a pack to d/l install and play.... for more info click here

now.... he comes the crunch.... the way WHDLoad works it is best to have what is known as Fast Ram, this is ram dedicated to the CPU alas this can be expensive, the most common is a 4 or 8MB ram card, these can fetch between 50 - 70 AUD respectively on ebay, perhaps sometimes a lot more of late. I would suggest that you could signup and post a wanted advert over at www.amibay.com you may get lucky

so with a Compact Flash Hard disk and or transfer disk, and a fast ram upgrade you would have a Level 4 A1200 Games machine, and a damn fine one two.

to go any further with that build and you would go for a CPU accelerator card (anything from 200 AUD these days) but these come in a variety of perforamce and flavours to suit what you need,

so have a look around, theres plenty of Amiga Projects around here that people have worked on, it will give you an idea of just what you are getting yourself into and exactly the crazy type of eccentric you will become.

good luck on your quest, and pop in and let us know how you are getting on
Old 04 December 2008, 09:09   #7
joshwaan

Thank you very much guys. You all been very helpful

Old 13 December 2008, 02:06   #8
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

It may also be worth noting that if you intend on getting any "serious" upgrades then i would change the psu as the A1200 ones cant really take much! they usually have enough power for a ram upgrade board and hard drive but when it comes to accelerator boards and other power hungry upgrades i notice quite a few people tend to go with a heavy duty A500 psu or maybe even a custom pc psu (AT/ATX).

Also worth mentioning are compatibility issues with some software and upgrade combinations, i find the more you do to your system the less likely it is to work 100% with older original software! you may need some kind of boot disc or a way to disable upgrades with some games.

I myself like all the original classics so i have an orginal "Commodore" A1200 with just a hard drive and a microbotics mbx 1200z 8mb fast ram expansion board with fpu which can be disabled on boot up if needed. Quite a plain set up but works a dream with the stock psu and i use relokick to boot some of the older A500 games until i revive my old A500+.

If you want to experiment with various upgrades and mods then i would get a cheap used Amiga Technologies version of the A1200 from ebay and keep the original Commodore one in pristine condition as they really are getting harder to come by without the dreaded yellowing and in full working condition! Mine is still like new and hopefully it will stay that way for a long time