English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 24 May 2009, 22:28   #361
DoogUK
Doogster

my image seems to go fine until i change the exec with Piru's...maybe i'm patching it wrongly.

I havent got my original RPF as i am on a new computer and havent retried creating the 1mb rom since.
I'm going to start from scratch.
Old 25 May 2009, 01:52   #362
Doobrey
Hamster tamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoogUK View Post
my image seems to go fine until i change the exec with Piru's...maybe i'm patching it wrongly.
It shouldn't need patching.

Start ROMsplit, and load in the correct exec44 for the target machine, press 'select all' and 'extract', it should spit out 2 files, exec44 and LatePatch.

Then in Remus, load exec44 as the first file, LatePatch as the second, then add all the other OS resident modules, then any Blizkick patches (inc. the '1MB ROM' patch)

Personally, I've always stuck with exec 45.20 from BB2 with Chris Hodges' TSLFMem patch.

Oh, and it looks like Spots EPROMs are on their way to the great silicon graveyard. Can anyone recommend a good place for him to get some more?
Old 25 May 2009, 16:53   #363
spoUP

yes please =) (27c400's) and... are there any zif socket that suits the amiga 1200?
i tried searching ebay etc... but i could only find 40 pin zif sockets.. :/
the one in the a1200 is 42 pin... (but only 40 pins are used).
Old 25 May 2009, 16:54   #364
spoUP

or is there some flash solution?
Old 25 May 2009, 18:05   #365
Doobrey
Hamster tamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoUP View Post
yes please =) (27c400's) and... are there any zif socket that suits the amiga 1200?
i tried searching ebay etc... but i could only find 40 pin zif sockets.. :/
the one in the a1200 is 42 pin... (but only 40 pins are used).
40pin ZIFs will be fine for 27c400's, but they're wider than the sockets on the A1200, so you'll need to make a little adapter just to space them out a bit.
Easy enough just to use some veroboard/stripboard and a couple of strips of turned pins,although the extra height means it'd probably not get an A1200 desktop case to close again!

If you want 42pin ZIFs, have a look at http://www.arieselec.com/Web_Data_Sh...0001/10001.htm
Farnell and DigiKey are listed as distributors.
Old 25 May 2009, 18:13   #366
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

I think rather than 42 pin ZIF sockets, perhaps 42 pin machined sockets (the ones with round holes) would be better as they can fit straight on? Although why would one need to use 42pin sockets when the extra 2 pins are not used right? (A18 and A19 are just 2 extra address pins on 27C160 to give 2MB instead of 512K per chip - according to A1200 schematics these are connected??? for what purpose???) (btw, I got 1MB rom working in WinUAE both with standard and extended ROM, and with one big ROM )
Old 25 May 2009, 18:34   #367
spoUP

Thanx for the tips boys! I will check it up!

Here's a copy of a mail i just sent to doobrey:

OK, i wen through my eproms and checked them, blanked them, and checked them again, threw away the ones that wouldn't blank etc.
Now i burnt a standard 512k ROM that works with and without the blizzard.
So the burrner and the roms that are in my a1200 now seems to be OK.
This... makes me think that it has something to do with 1mb roms and blizzards.
/spot

Last edited by spoUP; 25 May 2009 at 20:26.
Old 25 May 2009, 18:48   #368
DoogUK
Doogster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgor View Post
I think rather than 42 pin ZIF sockets, perhaps 42 pin machined sockets (the ones with round holes) would be better as they can fit straight on? Although why would one need to use 42pin sockets when the extra 2 pins are not used right? (A18 and A19 are just 2 extra address pins on 27C160 to give 2MB instead of 512K per chip - according to A1200 schematics these are connected??? for what purpose???) (btw, I got 1MB rom working in WinUAE both with standard and extended ROM, and with one big ROM )

Interesting....are you going to burn them and try it on the real amiga?
Old 30 May 2009, 15:50   #369
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

I just got 1MB ROMs working on a real amiga! - A1200 with Blizzard IV 030 (Maprom off).

Doobrey's instructions in the Remus package are quite good (and Romsplit and Remus are easy enough to use).

The ROMs I have made are OS3.9 + BB2 rom updates + scsi.device LBA48 patch.

The problem I am having however is the workbench.library. What version to use? If I use the one from A1200 40.68 ROM then it works fine but of course it is an old version (v40.x) and AmiDock from OS3.9BB2 complains that workbench.library 45 is not there. But when I try to build into the ROM v45.127 from OS3.9BB2 filesystem, then it does not work (wb3.1 disk cannot load workbench anymore - also cannot find scsi.device nor workbench.library when using the version command from a shell). Possibly I am not supposed to load that version into the ROM and it needs a modification to become a rom module?

Can anyone please tell me how to build workbench.library into the ROM so that it works for OS3.9BB2? Is it somewhere in the ROM updates? (Did I load modules in the wrong order?)

EDIT: I did skip the setpatch command in the OS3.9 startup-sequence - perhaps that's the problem? What does the OS3.9 setpatch do and fix exactly?
Doog if you have any questions feel free to ask if you retried and it still did not work.

Last edited by Calgor; 30 May 2009 at 15:58.
Old 30 May 2009, 19:36   #370
Doobrey
Hamster tamer

Quote:
Doobrey's instructions in the Remus package are quite good
I wouldn't go that far.. my docs are very basic, and probably missing a lot of useful info.

Quote:
Can anyone please tell me how to build workbench.library into the ROM so that it works for OS3.9BB2? Is it somewhere in the ROM updates? (Did I load modules in the wrong order?)
workbench.library isn't in the 'ROM update' files, it's in the libs: directory on the OS3.9 CD

The order of modules doesn't matter (except for exec + romheaders must be first)

I've always just left it in Libs:
I haven't tried the last workbench patch on Aminet in a ROM,but the all v45 workbench's I've tried up to that point aren't 'ROM safe', they try and write data inside themselves.

There is something in the pipeline to get around this, it's basically like a software version of the KickFlash/Deneb flashroms, it'll take a load of non-rommable code and bundle it up into something that will unpack from the ROM into RAM.

It's just the usual story of non enough free time to get things done quicker than I'd like.

Quote:
What does the OS3.9 setpatch do and fix exactly?
It fixes a whole heap of bugs in the Kickstarts, I'll dig out a list later.
It also loads in the 68040 & 68060 libraries if needed
Installs the NSD patch (which also fixes some problems with old device drivers)
And it goes through the modules in the 'AmigaOS ROM Update' file and loads in all the ones that applies to the model of Amiga you're running.
Old 31 May 2009, 06:53   #371
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

I just ran SetPatch v44.16 (from OS3.9CD) at command line and it lists the patches.

Where is this workbench.library patch on aminet? I could not find it.

So why is it with a Kickstart 3.1 ROM and BB2 Rom Update on disk that AmiDock does not complain about old library, but it does with my 1MB ROM despite having the same version in ROM (v40) and same version on disk (v45)? SetPatch patches something? Extra reboot does something? I thought if it could not find a version in ROM, it then searches libs for that version? Or does it only choose the resident version - in which case why is there a difference when using my 1MB ROM?

Also is there some help somewhere on what all the multiple OS3.9 SetPatch command line parameters do? I suppose I would like no ROM Update and no reboot, so I should use NOROMUPDATE?

EDIT: Found list: http://www.gregdonner.org/os39faq/undocumented.html#2
* NOROMUPDATE/S .. does what it says.
* DISABLEROMMODULES/K .. accepts a comma separated list (no spaces!) of module names and takes them out of the module list. It's the infamous RemLibrary functionality. If you don't know what you are doing, you crash.
* SKIPROMUPDATES/S .. will skip selected update modules in the update file. It also accepts a comma separated list of module names.
* KILLUPDATE/S .. removes all the kicktags SetPatch had installed.
* FORCEUPDATE/S .. will install updates even though something has been installed previously already.
* WAITFORVALIDATE/S .. SetPatch will wait for all volumes to be validated now before rebooting! The DosList will be checked once a second.

EDIT2: I think I answered my own question from the readme of LoadModule (SetPatch, which I had commented out, patches in the disk versions of icon.library and workbench.library):

Quote:
The following one-liner places the Os 3.5/3.9 based icon and workbench
libraries on the reset-resident list replacing the ROM-modules. This
line should go into the startup-sequence *in front of SetPatch*
(as otherwise SetPatch does this job anyhow by a different approach...)

LoadModule LIBS:icon.library LIBS:workbench.library reverse

The following lines show how to bundle LoadModule with MuMove4K as to
avoid a double reboot:

LoadModule LIBS:icon.library LIBS:workbench.library reverse noreboot
MuMove4K

The next example demonstrates how one could replace the ROM-Updates
mechanism of SetPatch provided you would have the modules as separate
files on disk. It also disables NSD.

LoadModule LIBS:icon.library LIBS:workbench.library +
DEVS:console.device L:Ram-Handler L:FastFileSystem +
reverse noreboot
MuMove4K
SetPatch NOROMUPDATES NONSD >NIL:

Last edited by Calgor; 31 May 2009 at 07:40.
Old 31 May 2009, 07:45   #372
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

So now I still need to find where that patch is on aminet. [EDIT: Found http://aminet.net/util/sys/OS39_update_patches.lha and http://aminet.net/util/sys/OS39_update_patches2.lha Amikit etc may have more updated versions too. Will try these.]

Or otherwise how to avoid a reboot to use a non-romsafe workbench.library (and icon.library - confirmed not safe in Remus docs) that both loadmodule and setpatch can load (but which cannot be burned into read-only ROM).

So I guess that list of SetPatch patchs would still be handy as SetPatch command does not list everything it patches in its output.

EDIT: I would also ask out of interest just what the ROMUpdate 44.57 module actually does so that is not needed in a custom ROM?

Last edited by Calgor; 31 May 2009 at 09:29.
Old 31 May 2009, 15:53   #373
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

Problems solved.

What I found was that SetPatch was replacing whatever version of workbench.library and icon.library was in the ROM with the version from LIBS: [EDIT: SetPatch may actually only just remove these libraries from rommodules list which can be overridden by using DISABLEROMMODULES parameter (info taken from OS3.5 SetPatch changes list), and then the disk versions are used automatically]

So to utilise this facility while still having no reboot, you need to run SetPatch with the NOROMUPDATE parameter.

In the end I left the KS3.1 40.68 versions of those 2 libs in ROM to save ROM space.

btw, using the extra patched icon 45.4 and workbench 45.131 does allow you to build them into the ROM successfully (tested in WinUAE).

If there are any requests, I can write a guide extrapolating on the Remus instructions. I could not have done it as easily without those directions and the help in this thread (and Doobrey of course). Something for the wiki perhaps.

Last edited by Calgor; 01 June 2009 at 17:05. Reason: Edit about SetPatch and workbench and icon library removal
Old 31 May 2009, 17:45   #374
Doobrey
Hamster tamer

Quote:
btw, using the extra patched icon 45.4 and workbench 45.131 does allow you to build them into the ROM successfully (tested in WinUAE).
Ah, you beat me to it !
I just finished reading the changelogs to the workbench.library patch and IconBeFast. (Hell must have frozen over, I RTFM)

For the record, workbench 45.129 and above is safe to put in ROM,
And icon.library 45.5.5 (wierd versioning!) created by IconBeFast is safe.
Old 31 May 2009, 17:55   #375
Doobrey
Hamster tamer

Quote:
Or otherwise how to avoid a reboot to use a non-romsafe workbench.library (and icon.library - confirmed not safe in Remus docs) that both loadmodule and setpatch can load (but which cannot be burned into read-only ROM).
If libraries/devices etc are already in use, there is no safe way to use new ones without a reboot.

Quote:
I would also ask out of interest just what the ROMUpdate 44.57 module actually does so that is not needed in a custom ROM?
IIRC, some Amigas had 'issues' with the ROMupdate/reboot thing, sometimes expansion boards would disappear from the system after the reboot.
The ROMUpdate module just copies some structures out of expansion.library and then copies them back after the reboot.
It's not needed for a custom ROM since there's no reboot. (And it's not 'ROM safe' code either)
Old 01 June 2009, 02:58   #376
spoUP

hmmm i had those older icon and wb libraries in my rom... i removed them now. i have tested with minimal content too without getting it to work.

Last edited by spoUP; 01 June 2009 at 16:12.
Old 01 June 2009, 03:02   #377
spoUP

calgor: could you paste your working 1mb kickstart layouts here?
Old 01 June 2009, 05:00   #378
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

@Doobrey

Turns out I removed ROMUpdate 44.57 from my config but forgot to rerun Arexx scripts for new HI/LO bin files. So it is in my ROMs, but does not seem to be causing any problems (unlike non-romsafe workbench.library). How/when should I expect it to fail?

@SpoUP
Will post them later do not have access right now.
Old 01 June 2009, 14:05   #379
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

Here are my Remus project files for the standard and extended ROMS (rename to .rpf but also your modules directories may be different):

KSA1200v39BB2scsi1MBS.txt

KSA1200v39BB2scsi1MBE.txt

@Doobrey

A couple of minor bug reports while using Remus 1.0-rc25:

I am not sure if the Checksum tickbox is saving/loading correctly on these. Both of these files loaded up into Remus with Checksum selected but appear to be differently saved in the files. The standard one is supposed to have checksum and extended one not.

Also, when trying to drag from the source to the destination list, the first time the item is dragged it automatically goes to the bottom (when in builld order view). You then need to remove it and add it again then it will be inserted in the selected place. Someone else had this same problem also.

Last edited by Calgor; 01 June 2009 at 14:11.
Old 01 June 2009, 18:21   #380
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Hiya guys...

I absolutely Love this thread, but I think it needs to be sepearted to atleast 2 fractions.

1. Burning / programming problems with regular ROM images
2. Burning/Programming Custom made 1MB ROM images

its just theres a lot of data in here and I think it would suit 2 stickies, perhaps even a wiki or two