English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 03 October 2003, 19:05   #1
halloerstmal

Question WinUAE on Laptop Problem

Hi,

I am trying to run WinUAE on a laptop (IBM Thinkpad). It does not work. When I start the emulator, the black screen appears but nothing else happens - the program has crashed. May it be a problem with the display driver ? My S3 graphics adapter can only operate at 60Hz. WinUAE requires 70 Hz?
I have copied WinUAE from my desktop computer where the same version works perfectly fine
Any comments are wellcome.
Thanks,
HEM

Old 03 October 2003, 20:43   #2
Mojo

Send a message via ICQ to Mojo Send a message via AIM to Mojo Send a message via Yahoo to Mojo
You mean youve copied the FOLDER off the first PC? Does it load at all? Or just not boot the amiga. GUI loads? If the actual emulation itself doesnt run - there could be a number of problems, things i would check - are the display settings in uae - and perhaps more obvious (my mistakes are usually the obvious ones) stuff like the ROM image, configs..
Old 03 October 2003, 21:51   #3
halloerstmal

Hi,

no, I have not just copied the folders. I have installed WinUAE regularily.
The emulator starts and a black window with the title "WinUAE" (or so) appears. There is no error mesasge or anything. Just nothing happens.
Normally the hand with the disk should appear, but it does not.
What display settings do you recommend?

Thanks,
HEM

Old 03 October 2003, 21:52   #4
Steve
Corona Virus is Fake News

Guten Tag!

Try clicking on the "Detect Pixel format" button in the "Display" tab of WinUAE. This will adapt WinUAE to work with your laptops display settings.
Old 03 October 2003, 21:59   #5
halloerstmal

Hi,
thanks. I have tried this already. Actually, I have tried a lot of things. May be WinUAE does not work under Windows 2000.
Thanks anyway,
HEM

Old 04 October 2003, 01:57   #6
TheOutrider

Definitely does, I'm using it in 2k no problemo. Did you get the most recent drivers for your notebook's graphics chip, did you update DirectX, which Service Pack do you run in 2k, etc?
Give us some more detailed information about the hardware and configuration to start from, please.

Old 04 October 2003, 15:03   #7
Mojo

Send a message via ICQ to Mojo Send a message via AIM to Mojo Send a message via Yahoo to Mojo
if its just black, sounds like a directX prob.
Old 04 October 2003, 16:02   #8
halloerstmal

Hi,
thanks to all. Solved the problem by installing the latest DirectX drivers and upgrading to the latest WinUAE version.
However, now the sound does not work anymore...
But at least I can run all my programs.
Thanks,
HEM

Old 04 October 2003, 17:58   #9
TheOutrider

Sound doesn't work anymore in WinUAE or at all? If in WinUAE, tinker with the sound settings (especially the buffer size and frequency could cause lack of sound when set wrong). If sound doesn't work anymore at all, update your laptop's sound drivers as well.