English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 18 August 2019, 19:19   #181
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudasEZT View Post
I think Rastan would be factible for Amiga 500, just no perfect port but conversion with its restrictions.

7 colors for main graphics.. its a crap.. but could be done reasonably well. Of course making some concessions,.. and for example, having some enemies with different colors respect original coin op..

At this very moment I thinking that lions from first stage would be green same as the man-lizards..

That kind of sacrifices.

Rastan and his weapons, possible projectiles, collectables.. could be made with sprites.

Ive already drew time ago a Rastan sprite. I've reduced its wide to 16 pixels.. consist in two sprites of 3 colors superimposed. A third sprite would be the weapon.. easily interchangeable.

Here a video.. [ Show youtube player ]
Considering that the Apple IIGS port is very good; one would think that something decent could be done on the Amiga
Old 18 August 2019, 19:26   #182
Amigajay

The screen update looks truly awful imo, i watched a couple of vids on YT to make sure it wasn't just that video!
Old 18 August 2019, 19:40   #183
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Of course you could do Rastan on Amiga

Just do it like the MSX version:

[ Show youtube player ]

Cut the scroll, draw enemies with a single color and IT WILL WORK AT 50 FPS!

-

Seriously though, realistically speaking, you could rework the graphics for 16 colors (or even 32 if the speed is there), cut the parallax, draw the main sprite and HUD with sprites.

It's just a lot of work and of course it would be hard to find someone willing to do it.
Old 18 August 2019, 19:52   #184
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
The screen update looks truly awful imo
Yes very true, but graphics wise, it's pretty close to the Arcade version.

Anyway, surely something awesome could be achievable on the Amiga; using the Arcade graphics?
Old 18 August 2019, 23:03   #185
mcgeezer

Agree with shatterhand.

Thr parallax in Rastan is not that prominent. If i was doing it i’d stick to OCS 16 colour or 32 colour mode.

I just never liked thr game though and better amiga games are available.
Old 19 August 2019, 01:10   #186
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

And I agree with McGeezer. Rastan is a at best a mediocre game. The soundtrack is awesome, but its the only reason to play the game IMO.

Taito were very hit and miss with their games, and I don't think Rastan was a "hit". I know it was very sucessful and many people have fond memories of it, but I really think the gameplay isn't there.
Old 19 August 2019, 01:45   #187
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

I am part of the ones who enjoyed Rastan in arcade hall BitD (1987).
We should not forget that in was in the period of the movie "Conan" (1982) .
Old 19 August 2019, 08:14   #188
jotd
This cat is no more

This game is just super hard. I loved it like shatterland said because of it being in the arcades and all, but never ever got far. Frustrating.

What about a playable Dragonninja ?
Old 19 August 2019, 12:09   #189
lmimmfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
What about a playable Dragonninja ?
Would so love an arcade perfect version with 2 button support, AGA etc.
Love Dragon Ninja, still play it regularly on Mame and in VR( via new retro arcade neon) .

I thought the Amiga version was OK, but annoying to have to roundhouse instead of jump.
Old 19 August 2019, 13:23   #190
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmimmfn View Post
Would so love an arcade perfect version with 2 button support, AGA etc.
Love Dragon Ninja, still play it regularly on Mame and in VR( via new retro arcade neon) .

I thought the Amiga version was OK, but annoying to have to roundhouse instead of jump.
Probably a 3 to 4 month job for me to do it.

I'm not saying I would but having just taken a look at the game there's nothing there that would trouble AGA too much for a 100% arcade port.
Old 19 August 2019, 13:54   #191
Gordon
Settler

I wish some of the original arcade games were ported to the Amiga. When I say original im talking about the begining of era with the Pacmans and Donkey Kongs. I can't see why these games can't be almost prefect conversions.
Old 19 August 2019, 14:12   #192
MartinW

I've been messing about with Pacman for a while now but I'm stuck. I don't have any screenshots or video at the moment because I don't have any hosting space but suffice to say that using maximum vertical overscan I was able to implement a pixel perfect maze and pacman player with just enough room at the top and bottom to not have to do what most conversions did and put the scores and stuff to the side.

Like I say, stuck for the moment so didn't get any further than that. I found some code just this morning that might help me though so never say never!
Old 19 August 2019, 14:17   #193
jotd
This cat is no more

The control issue is present with most conversions. The most annoying case was Toki.
When going up to shoot birds, character was jumping to his death. I changed that in the whdload version, enabling 2 button controls and game is very close to the original.

Same was done for GhostsNGoblins.

But even if Dragonninja could be improved at low cost by changing the controls, gameplay is choppy too. Not sure it could do great good...
Old 19 August 2019, 15:10   #194
lmimmfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
The control issue is present with most conversions. The most annoying case was Toki.
When going up to shoot birds, character was jumping to his death. I changed that in the whdload version, enabling 2 button controls and game is very close to the original.

Same was done for GhostsNGoblins.

But even if Dragonninja could be improved at low cost by changing the controls, gameplay is choppy too. Not sure it could do great good...
Ohh didn't realise you put 2 button controls in Toki, must try it as it's a great port and only played and finished it back in the day.
Worst thing about whdload of Dragonninja is no music

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
Probably a 3 to 4 month job for me to do it.

I'm not saying I would but having just taken a look at the game there's nothing there that would trouble AGA too much for a 100% arcade port.
Yes, I don't think it would be too difficult a task, graphically maybe all the cars on the second level or truck in the first, not sure if colours of dual play field would limit the look or not. The main loop generally looks fairly straight forward apart from end of level bosses.
Old 19 August 2019, 17:33   #195
jotd
This cat is no more

If you notice an arcade port that lacks proper controls (or a great game), please submit a mantis issue (mantis.whdload.de). I've already done a lot of those.

I re-checked Dragonninja amiga and I was impressed by the graphics.

Also unimpressed by the fact that the game is too fast. But why is it too fast? maybe to conceal the poor animation? (because slowing it down is not an issue either... like fixing the controls)

If the port was really awesome (like Marble Madness is) I could add arcade music for a CD32 version... But is that really worth it?
Old 19 August 2019, 17:38   #196
Retro1234
Phone Homer

How did they do the Moving truck and train in Dragon Ninja?
Old 19 August 2019, 18:08   #197
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
How did they do the Moving truck and train in Dragon Ninja?
They are not actually moving as such... the background parallax layer is scrolled to give the impression of movement

Similar to a technique I did in Tombraider-Curse Of The Sword on the Gameboy Colour, for the underground train...

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 19 August 2019, 18:18   #198
Retro1234
Phone Homer

That looks brilliant I love anything Tomb Raider

not sure I fully understand there just updating the background tiles? might be to complicated for me to understand

or there just redrawing the truck.? ill have to think

Last edited by Retro1234; 19 August 2019 at 18:25.
Old 19 August 2019, 18:31   #199
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

This would only work on Amiga if it was done on Dual Playfield.

And on the Truck level, yeah, it looks so. Truck seems to use the same colors of the enemies.

The train one gets me though. Most of it is clearly just on the same playfield, as most of the train has just a blank background to it.

But the lower part where's the train's tires, there's some scrolling background there. I wouldn't be surprised if there's some trick with both the background and the train being on the same playfield, but I am not sure.

It's interesting to notice that, while this game use the same gfx assets as the Atari ST version, it's not a direct ST port. The ST version has really jerky scroll, it's a lot slower and it doesn't have the parallax on the Truck level (dunno about the train level, it seems no one on youtube bothered to play it for that long )

The game also has music, but only if you have 1mb Ram.
Old 19 August 2019, 19:26   #200
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I wish some of the original arcade games were ported to the Amiga. When I say original im talking about the begining of era with the Pacmans and Donkey Kongs. I can't see why these games can't be almost prefect conversions.
I'm with you on this one.

There's another similar thread where a lot of games have been mentioned: Games that you wish were released on the Amiga

...I'd love someone to port Roc'n Rope; simple / fun and easily doable on an Amiga