Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 10 October 2012, 19:58   #1
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Voyager V3 Browser

Hi:
I recently installed AIAB and discovered a browser, Voyager V3:

http://v3.vapor.com/voyager/

It works better than I thought in my miggy. But it seems they aren't supporting it anymore.

I'm wondering if they would "free" the sourcecode and what do you think about this browser.

By now I'm using it almost perfect if it wasn't for the constant windows messages about errors, but it opens almost all.
Edit: But in AIAB I've got less errors, perhaps I'm missing something. Edit: Done, now only errors about cookies, just like in AIAB.

What do you think about this browser? Have you tried it? Do you use AIAB?

I can make a short video if you want.

Edit: It works very well. Perhaps there's a way to save the cookies enabled.
Well... the colors of the images... but Cammy has a great project on the way to use the 16 colors palette of Rebel...

Last edited by Retrofan; 11 October 2012 at 02:23.
Old 11 October 2012, 05:16   #2
MadAngus
AMOS Documentation

I don't use it but a short video and a description of how you got it to work would be great. I could make a page on the AIAB site for it if you allowed me to use that info.
Old 11 October 2012, 12:18   #3
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I will post a video, but that what you say about the installation is an enigma for me. Yes you can download the installer in my link, and about the key I found it in the file server, but I don't find it now.

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16714

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckillerh3 View Post
The Voyager browser works fine and I've contacted Vapor Software to register it. They no longer accept money for the software (no longer developed / supported) but very kindly just send along the keyfile !
For that thread, surely they would give the key if enough people would be interested.

I installed it with the installer, but there are a couple of extrange things:

-In WinUAE opening the program it doesn't open. You can click on it and perhaps it will open the 6th time, but if you open SnoopDos just to see what happens, it will open at first or second attempt. But if you install it in the miggy it will open with the first click. ¿¿??.

-Also after installing, it wasn't working very well. I installed it and it coudn't open almost anything. So the best and easy way to install it and working right:

I first used the installer to copy some libs it needs. Later I've deleted it and then I've copied the AIAB Internet drawer, that has Voyager with it's preferences and better icons there. Then I've put in the user-startup Assign >NIL: Applications: Apps: , that is the volume where I've stored "Internet", and in AIAB it uses Applications.

For others the internet drawer of AIAB is in their main page: http://aiab.ultimateamiga.co.uk/

I've copied also the fonts from AIAB, as it will need some of them.

Later you can customize it clicking on the top and changing the preferences; the buttons (the best are the ones it already uses with AIAB), the background (I'm using one of AIAB), etc etc.

Now I only need to know how to save the cookies enabled. As you can see it works very fast. This is with WinUAE in my Amikit conversion for 16 colors:

[ Show youtube player ]

Edit: DONE! No more cookies messages. It's just Settings (right click on top), General Settings, Security, Cookies

Last edited by Retrofan; 11 October 2012 at 16:26.
Old 11 October 2012, 14:25   #4
alenppc

Back in the day, Voyager was my favourite browser. I registered for every version including the latest. It was definitely the fastest, the prettiest and also the most compatible AFAIK, However it crashes like crazy, especially the last build was virtually unusable due to the high volume of crashes.
I eventually switched to AWeb once OS3.5 was released; It was a lot slower but a lot more stable.
Old 11 October 2012, 16:05   #5
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenppc View Post
Back in the day, Voyager was my favourite browser. I registered for every version including the latest. It was definitely the fastest, the prettiest and also the most compatible AFAIK, However it crashes like crazy, especially the last build was virtually unusable due to the high volume of crashes.
I eventually switched to AWeb once OS3.5 was released; It was a lot slower but a lot more stable.
I was having a lot of crashes after installing it, but using the AIAB version like I've said works very well as you can see in the video, and now I don't have cookies messages. Perhaps you could try it again, this time with my tips.

Edit: I've sent a message to the programmers to ask about the key.

Last edited by Retrofan; 11 October 2012 at 16:20.
Old 11 October 2012, 17:46   #6
fryguy

It might have been better than Ibrowse earlier but i think Ibrowse is better.
Old 11 October 2012, 19:23   #7
clauddio
Banned

voyagerNG was always very buggy...it crashes for any reason...ibrowse or aweb were always better than voyager
but the best browser for use on a classic amiga is still netscape 4.x under mac emulation
also there is a browser for MAC 68k which support advanced javascript and frames is called ICAB
Old 11 October 2012, 19:57   #8
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryguy View Post
It might have been better than Ibrowse earlier but i think Ibrowse is better.
I agree. IBrowse is better. I've got no crashes now, but the colors of the images isn't very good, at least using 16 colors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clauddio View Post
voyagerNG was always very buggy...it crashes for any reason...ibrowse or aweb were always better than voyager
but the best browser for use on a classic amiga is still netscape 4.x under mac emulation
also there is a browser for MAC 68k which support advanced javascript and frames is called ICAB
Let's see: If I use Shapeshifter I will be using 4 colors and very slowly. How it's going to be a better browser that way?

Last edited by Retrofan; 11 October 2012 at 23:13.
Old 11 October 2012, 21:55   #9
Peter
Still an Amiga user

I used the Netconnect CD back in the day which contained Voyager - I thought the whole package including this browser was excellent but the internet moved on quickly and crashes became more frequent - I switched to Ibrowse and that was a little more stable. I think I used Voyager V.3.2 as my last version.
Old 11 October 2012, 22:20   #10
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I don't know about crashes now. Somebody tell me a web that IBrowse opens and another can't, just to try, or any that IBrowse can't.

What I see is that neither IBrowse nor AWeb nor Voyager will update theirs browsers, so any opensource would be great, and I'm tired of people asking IBrowse to make it.

And this doesn't need FPU, not like NetSurf.

Last edited by Retrofan; 12 October 2012 at 10:12.
Old 11 October 2012, 23:29   #11
clauddio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post

Let's see: If I use Shapeshifter I will be using 4 colors and very slowly. How it's going to be a better browser that way?
I don't know ur amiga config but on a simple A1200 + 030 +fpu + 32mb fast you can run shapeshifer or fusion in 256 colors and run netscape or ICAB
of course it's better and fast a 040 or 060 but a 030 will work anyways

for inferior amigas like A600 etc no AGA no GFX card no accel the best browser right now should be Ibrowse

Last edited by clauddio; 11 October 2012 at 23:35.
Old 12 October 2012, 21:14   #12
Calabazam

Quote:
Originally Posted by clauddio View Post
No Netscape is far worst than IBrowse or even Aweb or Voyager, because all its security certificates are dead and you won't even be able to connect to your GMail page with it. Besides, Netscape crashes often with Shapeshifter.
Old 18 August 2017, 08:07   #13
hyperlogos

Anyone still have this keyfile? vapor.com is gone. I can't get either IBrowse or AWeb to load a https:// url. I've tried the latest couple of versions of amissl and while they will both try with 3.6, both still fail.

Or any advice on making ibrowse actually work would be cool. But its preferences tool crashes when I try to edit its preferences...
Old 18 August 2017, 12:32   #14
Mr-Z

Voyager V3 also was my favorite browser, i still use it on my A600 vampire setup and i have a valid keyfile.
For Amiga forums/sites and aminet it's fine but on more modern websites it crashes a lot when it gets all too complicated for poor old V3.

Obtaining the sources could be Quite a challenge since Oliver Wagner has died not so long ago.

It would be awesome if somebody could get the sources though, the rendering engine is really fast, and with some small updates (more HTML 4 support+CSS) it would be fairly usable again.

Now my main browser is Netsurf on the Amiga (most compatible)
Old 18 August 2017, 13:25   #15
S0ulA55a551n

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperlogos View Post
Anyone still have this keyfile? vapor.com is gone. I can't get either IBrowse or AWeb to load a https:// url. I've tried the latest couple of versions of amissl and while they will both try with 3.6, both still fail.

Or any advice on making ibrowse actually work would be cool. But its preferences tool crashes when I try to edit its preferences...
This browser was very promising, though very crash happy. I did register it back in day and my keyfile might exist somewhere still.

My miggy is in the attic unloved though
Old 18 August 2017, 19:21   #16
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Z View Post
It would be awesome if somebody could get the sources though, the rendering engine is really fast, and with some small updates (more HTML 4 support+CSS) it would be fairly usable again.
The kind of "small updates" that devoured Netscape, you mean?
Old 23 August 2017, 22:20   #17
Sir_Lucas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperlogos View Post

If it comes to IB 2.4 and https you need to install AmiSSL 3.6 first and then just install AmiSSL 4.1 - you'll find both of them on Aminet.
After rebooting just open CLI and type in:

makedir env:amissl
setenv amissl/ssl_client_version tls1
copy env:amissl envarc:amissl

Again reboot. Now, you should be able to access HTTPS.
If it comes to prefs you need to change the resolution of your screen. Make it a bit higher.
Old 24 August 2017, 08:47   #18
nobody

Seems the last stable version is V3.3.126 ? Where can we find this now?
Old 24 August 2017, 12:35   #19
zipper

Quick glance at web.archive.org could find just V3.3.122.
Old 24 August 2017, 12:45   #20
ptyerman

I have v3.3.126 on my hard drive, if you can't find it anywhere let me know and I'll up it to the ftp. It could already be on there though so worth having a look.