English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General > Coders. Releases

Old 24 March 2012, 01:50   #1
Photon

Uncle Tom Sonix

Made this demo to fit some effects to unreleased Sonix music by Uncle Tom, because I got the idea to make a demo-usable version of the latest Sonix playroutine.

I'll write something on CIA about before (or after!) I fall asleep, but for now I thought I'd post it in our release forum and there will be a floppy version in the Zone in 1 minute, for those who don't have a HDD.

Last edited by Photon; 24 March 2012 at 02:30.
Old 24 March 2012, 09:45   #2
pmc
gone

This work under WinUAE Photon?

I tried on A500 quickstart and the picture just rolls around after the intial CLI loading screen

I'll try on the real thing later when I have some time...

Last edited by pmc; 24 March 2012 at 13:37. Reason: typo
Old 24 March 2012, 15:21   #3
Leffmann

Cool you have to explain the part with the boing-ball and the 500 to me. Where do you get all these great graphics from?

Demo was a bit user-unfriendly though. It looks to be made to run from a booting 880K disk, but contents don't fit, and I wasn't sure of what to do to see all parts and hear all the songs. Should I just put it on the HD and run it from there?

EDIT: ah just found the 880K version

Last edited by Leffmann; 24 March 2012 at 15:34.
Old 24 March 2012, 16:42   #4
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

I just dumped all the files into a HD .ADF and tried to run it in WinUAE using my A600 setup. It crashes at bootup with a recoverable alert (error 0100 000F). Pressing LMB allows it to continue and UTSonix loads, but screen is corrupt (rolling as PMC states on his A500 config) and no further disk loading (SFX files?) occurs.

I can successfully run AllInOne in Workbench 2.05 with no problems (it appears to change WB colours mode to 2 colours). I can also successfully run UTSonix from WB with no problems.

The demo itself is very cool and I like the graphics (reminds me of Gods by The Bitmap Brothers)

Regards,
Lonewolf10

Last edited by Lonewolf10; 24 March 2012 at 16:49.
Old 24 March 2012, 21:47   #5
pmc
gone

OK finally watched it on my real Amiga.

Pretty nice - I liked the boing ball between the onrushing walls with EHB shadowing. The diagonal isometric style scroller was cool too.

Nice one Photon.

Congratulations on your first place at Compusphere... oh, and for releasing into your own releases section here too
Old 25 March 2012, 00:48   #6
Photon

Thx pmc Well, isn't it a nice section? As many channels for new software on last year's hardware as possible is the goal (right?)

And thanks for kind comments.

Yeah, this strange OS/hardware banging hybrid caused trouble all the way after of course working on a real Amiga. Rolling screen in emu (all versions) means switch to kick 3.1 until the cause is found by Toni. A guess is dos.library emulation.

The .lha should work on every single Amiga.

The floppy version should work on every single Amiga too, except unfortunately A500/1.3. Run the .lha version on 1.3, if you have a harddisk interface, or switch to 2.0 if you have a ROM switcher. Some thing between the OS and the crunched executable (tried 3 crunchers, too). A guess is some hunk-loading thingy. Couldn't use the Scoopex Cruncher cos this is OS-based, way outside my demowrapper.

It has revealed a few tiny hardware bugs in A500 CE emulation that I can't reproduce on my Amigas.

That said, even if it might not be easy to emulate this strange kind of hybrid-demo, I don't code for emulators. But I can run it in WinUAE and all my Amigas with misc. chipsets, accels and kickstarts, so if you follow the reasons above you should be able to see the demo (and the musicdisk mode).

Glad you liked the gfx Leffman, will tell Uncle Tom Only the fonts, the ball and the '500' are by me. (Sort of. The ball is actually from an earlier Phenomena demo by me and drawn in 16 colors by Uncle Tom and Pixelerator, I just reduced it to 3 colors and corrected a few pixelbugs. I drew a spinning UFO at first but in 16px width it just didn't look good.)

Last edited by Photon; 25 March 2012 at 04:24. Reason: more emu testing, more accurate descriptions.