English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 07 January 2010, 08:03   #21
mihcael
Zone Friend

best guess would be to edit the grub boot menu, press e i think, then add ATA=nodma to the boot command.
Old 07 January 2010, 08:14   #22
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Nope, still gets that error.
Old 07 January 2010, 11:20   #23
mihcael
Zone Friend

i think that a few people done there own install by booting the Live iso version and then installing it manually!

But thats another 500MB to download!

The live version also comes with QEMU ready to go, just double click the start icon!
Old 07 January 2010, 11:39   #24
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihcael View Post
i think that a few people done there own install by booting the Live iso version and then installing it manually!

But thats another 500MB to download!

The live version also comes with QEMU ready to go, just double click the start icon!
Its ok. I got SMEG loads of allowance.

But i fixed the error with VE (After downloading Live), you have to "IMPORT" the settings (and HDD file) in to Sun Virtual box...., How retarded is that.

Unlike other Virtual boxes, where you just create a new settings, and just "ADD" the HDD image, well point to where it is stored. SUN really have to do things THEIR way.
Old 07 January 2010, 17:46   #25
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
glad you got it workin whiteb but it dose come with qemu all set up and ready to go

any way what do you think of it ?
Old 07 January 2010, 19:12   #26
mihcael
Zone Friend

Virtual Box does have the advantage that sound and networking are both supported.
Old 08 January 2010, 02:46   #27
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
glad you got it workin whiteb but it dose come with qemu all set up and ready to go

any way what do you think of it ?
It is pretty good I cannot deny that. I know that to run anything M68k you need an emulator, hence the Janet-Uae to run stuff. Currently I dont have any HDD space on my C drive to Dual boot with XP (I assume you can do that ?).

I do have 150GB free on another drive in my system (D: ) so if it is possible to install to another drive in a X86 system (NTFS Formatted) then I could do that, and just Dual boot with XP.

Sort of like have a boot menu on C: to choose XP or Icaros, and have Icaros installed on D: in a subdirectory, assuming that Icaros can boot from a menu, and from an NTFS partition.
Old 08 January 2010, 04:44   #28
mingle

Hi,

I gave the Icaros 1.2 live DVD a whirl, but after it boots to the desktop, I can't seem to connect to the net - OWB starts, but always gives the warming "Erro" in the status bar whenever I try any URL...

I guess I'm missing something fundamental?

I've tried it on two different PCs using the "1024x768x32 legacy" mode boot options.

Any comments or suggestions greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Mike.
Old 08 January 2010, 05:10   #29
mihcael
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteb View Post
..Dual boot with XP (I assume you can do that ?).

I do have 150GB free on another drive in my system (D: ) so if it is possible to install to another drive in a X86 system (NTFS Formatted) then I could do that, and just Dual boot with XP.

Sort of like have a boot menu on C: to choose XP or Icaros, and have Icaros installed on D: in a subdirectory, assuming that Icaros can boot from a menu, and from an NTFS partition.
Dual booting is possible, i do it with my main PC!

You cant install to an NTFS partition!

Roughly.... Install XP first, but leave some unpartitioned space on the drive, then when you install aros, it should detect XP, find the unpartitioned space and create a volume for itself! I think you will have to manually add a "Boot XP" option to the aros GRUB menu! I would search out for a decent guide before approaching this option.

The safer way, is to install aros to a completly seperate disk, and use the BIOS boot menu to choose which OS (disk) you want to boot up! This is how i do it.

I disconnected my XP drive before i installed aros so there was no chance AROS might stuff up XP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingle View Post
Hi,

I gave the Icaros 1.2 live DVD a whirl, but after it boots to the desktop, I can't seem to connect to the net - OWB starts, but always gives the warming "Erro" in the status bar whenever I try any URL...

I guess I'm missing something fundamental?
Mike.
Did you configure you network settings in Prefs?

You need a compatible NIC, and to select it in the Network prefs,
Then you will have to enter IP address and default gateway. (or use DHCP)
Old 08 January 2010, 08:58   #30
mingle

Hi Mihcael,

I didn't do anything with network prefs, so I had a look and tried both manual and DHCP config, with no luck.

My network card is a Broadcom NetExtreme Gigabit ethernet card (built into the MB of my HP D530 desktop). I couldn't see a recognisable option in the network prefs (the default one didn't seem to work.

Any other suggestions would be nice :-)

Cheers,

Mike.
Old 08 January 2010, 09:03   #31
mihcael
Zone Friend

I couldnt tell you if your NIC is supported, i guess you can try them all, but i doubt that!

If you have a spare PCI slot, you could hunt around for an old nic that is supported, Realtek 8029 are cheap and fairly common.

Supported PCI_NIC_Drivers
Old 08 January 2010, 10:50   #32
chiark
Needs a life

I'm having the same problem whiteb was having... importing gives me an error "cannot unregister the machine because it has 2 medium attachments".
If I add the disk image manually to the imported machine, I get the same result as whiteb about the DMA transfer failing (exactly the same result)

Any tips? I've tried ATA=nodma and ATA=nopci, and get the error "device is in invalid state". I've re-expanded the disk image to make sure that something hadn't corrupted the image, but no joy on that front.

Tried the image in VMWare Fusion too.

I'm running MacOS 10.6.2, Virtual box 3.1.2 r56127...

Last edited by chiark; 08 January 2010 at 11:23.
Old 08 January 2010, 11:33   #33
mihcael
Zone Friend

did you see my reply at post #23? tried that?

Otherwise, ask at aros-exec.org sorry
Old 08 January 2010, 11:37   #34
chiark
Needs a life

Cheers - I'd rather get the VE version working as I guess many others are having the same problem.

Installing from the Live DVD would admittedly sort things out but it would be good to know why the VE isn't working.
Old 08 January 2010, 14:49   #35
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiark View Post
Cheers - I'd rather get the VE version working as I guess many others are having the same problem.

Installing from the Live DVD would admittedly sort things out but it would be good to know why the VE isn't working.
Okay, to fix that (Yes i got that error), was to go to each of the VM's in the list inside Virtual machine, and Delete them. Close Virtualbox.

You then go to

C:\documents and settings\"Your Username"\.Virtualbox

And delete "Virtualbox.xml".

Then go to "Machines" directory, and DELETE anything inside that directory.

Reload Virtualbox, "Import Appliance", follow the dialog boxes.

You should find it now loads WITHOUT any error's now.

[edit]
Quote:
I'm running MacOS 10.6.2, Virtual box 3.1.2 r56127...
Bugger, then you will have to find out yourself where MAC-OS version stores its VM Information then, sorry

Last edited by whiteb; 08 January 2010 at 15:09.
Old 08 January 2010, 15:15   #36
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

@Cammy

Are you using it native installed or under virtual machine?.
Does someone know if the eeepc is supported?. The main reason i don't have it on my eeepc is because i don't want it virtualized, i want the real thing.
Old 08 January 2010, 16:47   #37
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

I'll happily donate, but it's "dumb question" time.

I've read everything above, but it's not super-clear.

After testing AROS maybe one or two years ago on PC, it seemed cool to look at, but pretty much useless at the time.

Now, am I to understand that this new version will not only run games directly from ADF images, but also from WHDLoad installs? Plus it will now run most native WB programs?

I'm not trolling, just checking out of interest...

PZ.
Old 08 January 2010, 17:27   #38
Cammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ThEcRoW View Post
@Cammy

Are you using it native installed or under virtual machine?.
Does someone know if the eeepc is supported?. The main reason i don't have it on my eeepc is because i don't want it virtualized, i want the real thing.
I use the native version. You should be able to boot the LiveDVD if you plug an external DVD drive into your EeePC. Provided you have some unformatted space on your hard drive you should be able to install Icaros on there to boot natively.
Old 08 January 2010, 17:29   #39
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

I also await your learned reply Cammy!

PZ.
Old 08 January 2010, 18:05   #40
chiark
Needs a life

Cheers whiteb - tried that. Removed ~/Library/Virtualbox.xml, everything within the Machines subdirectory. Importing stlll gave the "2 medium" error.

Manually attaching caused the DMA error upon boot. I wonder if it's due to where the drive is connected on the controller - my hard disk image is on primary slave. What's yours? (I've tried primary master too...)

Downloaded the Live version... Will play later

Last edited by chiark; 08 January 2010 at 18:51.