English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 20 November 2014, 01:16   #201
ancalimon
Supernormal

Does anyone else have any problems with ENVARC: psdstackloader command guruing and rebooting the Amiga after MUI 3.9 beta3 is installed?
Edıt: It stopped happening after I started Trident and saved prefs once.

Last edited by ancalimon; 20 November 2014 at 23:22.
Old 25 November 2014, 21:54   #202
techguruuk
Dan Wood

Got my rapidroad for X-Surf 100 today, seems to have installed ok and showing up in Trident, but getting the following errors and no USB devices will work!

Any idea what's gone wrong?

Old 26 November 2014, 00:02   #203
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Normally means you have a power issue, i.e not enough. Your PSU might be failing or not up to the job to provide stable power to the USB.

More info would help though, i.e take a shot of the devices menu and tell us how you are hooking up your devices, i.e internally or externally.

More info about your system would help too.
Old 26 November 2014, 11:09   #204
Schoenfeld
electricky.

If there's a 3640 in the computer, please try jumpering the X-Surf-100 to Z2.

Jens
Old 26 November 2014, 12:07   #205
techguruuk
Dan Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post

Jens
Hi Jens, ahh yes I do have a 3640. I will give that a try when I get home.
Old 26 November 2014, 12:08   #206
techguruuk
Dan Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
Normally means you have a power issue, i.e not enough. Your PSU might be failing or not up to the job to provide stable power to the USB.

More info would help though, i.e take a shot of the devices menu and tell us how you are hooking up your devices, i.e internally or externally.

More info about your system would help too.
Thanks, the system is an A4000/040, other expansions - Picasso IV, Bigram + and the X-Surf 100, I also have a hard disk and a CD-ROM drive in the system, maybe this is too much for the A4000's stock PSU? I am planning on changing it to a standard ATX one at some point. Everything else is working flawlessly though, no random crashes or anything. The motherboard, zorro daughterboard and psu were all recapped recently.

I don't have the floppy power connected to the Rapidroad as the lead wouldn't reach, but have ordered a molex to floppy adapter off ebay just now, so maybe that will help.
Old 26 November 2014, 12:47   #207
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Try as Jens suggests first.

The Stock PSU should be able to handle that but it is aging of course so in the long term recapping or replacement might be a good idea.

I had similar issues to you with my old Subway USB, using en external powered USB Hub solved them. But power is not enough on the Clockport hence the RapidRoad taking power from the floppy connector on A1200/A600.

Check with Jens or the Manual to see if you can also use the external power from a floppy connector within your A4000.

Good luck.
Old 26 November 2014, 17:57   #208
techguruuk
Dan Wood

Quote:

Jens
Ok Jens this seemed to work! Is there anyway I can run it in Z3 with a 3640 though? Seems shame to downgrade my Xsurf-100 to Z2 speed.
Old 26 November 2014, 18:46   #209
wmsteele

Quote:
The eMail address mentioned on the site would be the first thing (shop@...), then you have my personal eMail address from the PayPal transaction, and you might have gotten an eMail from me from jens@icomp - plenty of addresses.

Missing item is very unlikely. There were two people who haven't been successful tracking their shipments, and I found out that my scanner has swallowed a digit of the tracking number. I might need to set that to a slower typing speed.

Please send me an eMail, so we can check what's going on. So far, not a single item has been lost in the mail in all these years, and if that should ever happen, there's two insurances on the parcel: One from the registered mail insurance, and another that covers whatever the postal insurance doesn't cover.

Jens
Make that three now. Tracking failed, after leaving Germany on the 23rd Oct package vanished. Had to raise a claim with PayPay, which has just been settled, unfortunatly PayPal had to step in to resolve. Will keep my Amiga habit supplied by AmigaKit from now on.
Old 26 November 2014, 20:17   #210
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguruuk View Post
Ok Jens this seemed to work! Is there anyway I can run it in Z3 with a 3640 though? Seems shame to downgrade my Xsurf-100 to Z2 speed.
We need to investigate this - the 3640 appears to do "something different", and we currently have no test setup to reproduce the issue. The Z2 jumper is the only workaround for the time being.

wmsteele: PayPal decided in your favour, despite investigations from Deutsche Post and Royal Mail still going on. That said, we did agree that you don't buy my products any more, that's correct. Pity to lose a customer over a 3rd party's mistake.

Jens
Old 26 November 2014, 20:42   #211
strim
NetBSD developer

Quote:
We need to investigate this - the 3640 appears to do "something different", and we currently have no test setup to reproduce the issue. The Z2 jumper is the only workaround for the time being.
I can confirm that the same thing happens only my A3000 + A3640 with Buster 11.
Old 26 November 2014, 21:38   #212
techguruuk
Dan Wood

Quote:

wmsteele: PayPal decided in your favour, despite investigations from Deutsche Post and Royal Mail still going on. That said, we did agree that you don't buy my products any more, that's correct. Pity to lose a customer over a 3rd party's mistake.

Jens
Ok thanks Jens, happy to do any testing on my system if you need any help.
Old 26 November 2014, 21:44   #213
wmsteele

Quote:

Jens
Tracking is dead since 23rd October... how much more investigating do you want to do? I never said I wont buy your products, I'm not crazy, I said I wont be buying them direct.
Old 28 November 2014, 17:28   #214
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
Whilst USB Zorro III performance is about 6MB/s, does anyone have a clue on what it is on Zorro II?

TIA
Over at a.org was tested on a nice A2000 setup:

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=68444

To answer your question it looks like you can achieve approx 2mb/sec over ZII
Old 28 November 2014, 21:08   #215
Locutus

Just tested the speed on my setup, rapidroad connected to vario over clockport on a A4k/CSMKI 060.

Disk speed test in sysinfo on a USB stick shows 1.2MB/s, a bit faster then i expected.

One thing that slightly suprised me is that CPU load using a USB Mouse is a bit high if you do some quick movements; about 20% according to Scout for Poseidon/Input.device/usbhid processes counted together.

Obviously, only so much you can expect from PIO USB :-)
Old 29 November 2014, 14:52   #216
gulliver
BoingBagged

@fitzsteve

Thank you. It seems a reasonable speed on ZII considering the A2000 was only equiped with a 68040 at 33 mhz. So I guess a 68060 at 50 mhz might do much better.
Old 29 November 2014, 16:16   #217
ancalimon
Supernormal

For those using RapidRoad also on OS4.1

thomasrapp has made a small program that enables mouse wheel support of OS4.1.

http://forum.hyperion-entertainment....hp?f=15&t=2708
Old 30 November 2014, 23:39   #218
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Hey guys, I tested a Creative USB Sound Card which I picked up cheap on the other Bay, I'm pleased to say it works with the RapidRoad! Plugged in and immediately it was picked up by Trident and the lights came on...

Went to AHI Prefs and as expected right at the bottom of the list USB Audio 16bit Stereo++

First test was to try an MP3, sadly my 040 @40mhz wasn't man enough to decode the MP3 and drive the USB Audio, it worked but the audio was very choppy and the system was unusable while the track played. Even with 128kb MP3 @ 11025khz. I think a fast 060 or PPC would be able to do it just fine since AmigaAMP works on PPC too this would be ample speed.

However some good news for 040 owners, as long as you're not running something that obliterates the CPU it works perfectly, I was able to test ASP which is a spectrum emulator which has AHI and the sound was crystal clear. I imagine Amiga CD Games that work on 020/030 with AHI support will be fine too, I need to do some more tests. I tried Quake but as above there was too much CPU load to do clear sound, it was breaking up just like the MP3's

Overall a successful test and yet again the RapidRoad just works!
Old 01 December 2014, 00:08   #219
Knight94

Thats great to hear Steve. If I might ask. What is the model of the sound card you are using?
Old 01 December 2014, 00:44   #220
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight94 View Post
Thats great to hear Steve. If I might ask. What is the model of the sound card you are using?
Lol I really should have mentioned that

It's a Soundblaster SB0270, here's a pic: (not mine)