English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 26 October 2013, 10:10   #41
zgba

Hi Guys,

just a quick update: I hooked up an AT PSU, but I'm still getting the same error message. As for the hard drive and max transfer settings - I'm pretty sure it's 0x1FE00, I wasn't that long ago as I was creating an SFS partition, but I have to connect the hard drive to my PC anyway in order to check it. Then I can check if it's still readable and maybe I'll try to format a CF card and try it out. I'll keep you informed.
Old 31 October 2013, 22:32   #42
zgba

Hi Guys,

great news this time: I connected the hard drive to my PC, wiped it out, created two small FFS partitions with max transfer set to 0x1fe00, installed it back into my Miggy, booted it up and... it worked! Encouraged by this small victory I installed WB 3.1 (using WinUAE of course), tried it again and bang! 131MB of mem available - definitely a good sign. Maybe I'll test it further tomorrow.

Many thanks to everybody, especially to Stedy who pointed out the hard drive settings - guys, you're awesome

There's only one concern - the floppy drive still doesn't work. Any ideas? I didn't replace any caps, only desoldered two resistors on the top side and replaced them with two ferrite beads. Besides I desoldered two CIAs using hot air and installed sockets, but this seems to be irrelevant, as it happened after my FDD refused to work.
Old 01 November 2013, 00:47   #43
CentralPerk

Glad you sorted that out mate.
Old 01 November 2013, 23:35   #44
Stedy

@zgba

Great news, glad it is working now. If you can't find anything wrong with the hardware, blame the software

With regard to the floppy drive problem, the VIA that has some floppy drive signals, U8 is located near the floppy port. I also note two glass diodes. Check these first. If you did not shield the PCB with Kapton tape prior to using a hot air pencil, you can easily damage or displace other components. Examine all components in a 20-30 mm radius of each VIA, check for solder shorts and good solder joints. Hot air rework stations are great but if you are not careful you can easily displace other devices.

Did you check the pins of the sockets for the 8520 VIA for shorts?

We're nearly there.

Ian
Old 02 November 2013, 15:06   #45
zgba

Hi Ian,

I didn't have any kapton tape so I used some aluminium foil just to create kind of heat barrier. The elements around look fine and there are no shorts of any kind. I will remove both VIAs (not CIAs ) from sockets and check if there are no shorts underneath, but I doubt - I used tons of flux jelly and very fine tip.

I just examined the diodes and one of them (D574) looked suspicious. After measuring it I found out that it's shorted. I don't think I have similar surface mount diode laying around, so I'll try to solder regular 1N400x one and test it again.

EDIT: After desoldering the diode I measured it again and it's fine.

Last edited by zgba; 02 November 2013 at 15:18. Reason: see post
Old 20 February 2014, 19:04   #46
zgba

Hello again,

I'm not dead, but I haven't got much time till now. In the meantime I resurrected one completely dead breadbox, but my Amiga is still not working fine. I have checked the motherboard for shorts, but I didn't notice anything suspicious. So the current status is that everything but the floppy drive works fine. Waiting for your help again Cheers