English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 29 November 2011, 16:46   #1
fishyfish
Banned

Anyone Interested in helping me with graphics and audio for "new classic game please?

After 3 years of procrastinating I finally pulled my thumb out and made an original Amiga game again. Ports can be nice to have, but not a lot of fun to do and I get a bit tired of them. In an effort to break out of my rutt I decided to do something that can be finished in a short space of time (inspired by the puzzler "Jooleem" in this instance) and after 4 days work I have a working, albiet rough version up and running.

Although I can do the graphics and sound/music myself Id rather focus on the coding, at least for the moment. With this said, the question becomes, is there anyone who would be interested in helping me out with some graphics and/or music/sounds please ?
I will of course send a version of the game in its current state to anyone interested in helping so they have a better idea of what is needed.

A beta tester or two wouldnt go astray if anyone is interested as well?
The game is hardly going to set the world alight, but it is darn addictive in it's "native" form (ie. Jooleem) and I'd like to bring an "enhanced", nicely presented spin-off to the classic amigas.

Hardware requirements hopefully arent an issue and it should work on a vanilla ocs machine, although I've only tested it on a stock a1200 and '040 equipped a1200 thus far.

Thanks in advance.

p.s. It appears I cant change the thread title. The lack of a close quote mark around the word "new" really annoys me though so if anyone who is able to fix it could do so Id appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 29 November 2011, 19:08   #2
Graham Humphrey

I can't add the quotation mark as the thread title has actually reached its maximum size!

Oh and best of luck with your project
Old 29 November 2011, 19:19   #3
mihcael
Zone Friend

Are you looking to have graphics as near to the original as possible. Or something a bit original.
Old 29 November 2011, 21:35   #4
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
If you need colour marbles, it shouldnt be a problem

Yes, I might be interested, if you could specify exactly what you need.

My recent drawing, 3 weeks ago just for fun:

originally Dpaint IV, 320x256, 64 cols, IFF-ILBM

And just quick Dpaint pixelling in lowres 32 cols without aliases::

Last edited by Predseda; 29 November 2011 at 22:15.
Old 29 November 2011, 23:25   #5
marcfrick2112
Amiga Fanatic

Well, I am not too shabby with Deluxe Paint 4+5, I could maybe help. I'd certainly agree to be a beta-tester, too.
Old 29 November 2011, 23:26   #6
musojon74

Music / sfx could be fun? :-) you'll need to let me know how much memory you can give me :-)
Old 30 November 2011, 04:29   #7
fishyfish
Banned

Cool, thanks for the responses guys. I'll fix up a few things so its ready to package up and send to people. Rather than respond directly to anyone, I'll elaborate slightly on my idea for the game.....

Firstly, at the moment it's very much a Jooleem clone. It's quite basic, and probably has some bugs Ive not fixed properly yet, but its a functioning no frills Joolem remake.

The simple nature of the gameplay of Jooleem however allows for lots of audiovisual candy. The vast majority of chipram is left to do whatever I'd like. The basic gameplay of Jooleem is also a static screen with very little in the way of animated gfx, and even less moving gfx. This leaves plenty of resources to spruce up the game beyond the original.
Besides being able to run in ehb on even 1meg 68000 machines and have lots of room left for audio Id also like to add a few extra bonuses and a little extra "depth" to the game, while not stepping outside of the basic gameplay mechanics. By this I mean simple things like having different gfx themes every level (maybe have 4 sublevels per "level" (level 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 1-4, 2-1, 2-2, and so on). Maybe end of level bad guys (I have some ideas here that Im looking forward to implementing). I'd also like to have a few more "bouncing" gfx during the game to try to give a little more "life" to it.

I guess the basic idea is to create something akin to the commercial puzzler games that you find at places like Target, or Kmart and so on for $10 (not sure if theyre just in australia, but basically big department stores).... simple, tried and tested puzzle formulas, but freshened up a bit and good enough to warrant a few dollars, even though theyre "just another puzzle game".

Anyway, most of this is still to be added, thus far it's a basic Jooleeem clone. Even though it's quite a simple game to make, there's a decent amount of gfx and audio needed. Id really like to just keep making the game while I have my mojo, and gfx and sound work is slowing me down

It weird, its a simple puzzle game, but it's the most enthused about an amiga project Ive been in a long time
Old 30 November 2011, 07:39   #8
marcfrick2112
Amiga Fanatic

Hey just saying.. I would so LOVE you to add a bunch of nice little graphic effects.. wring EVERYthing you can out of those beloved custom chips!!
Hey, how about a few different sounds/ or simple animations for like dying, level up, etc. to be randomly selected from a few different ones... for variety in gameplay... just my 2 bytes... LOL!
Random elements in a game adds some interest, imho...

Last edited by marcfrick2112; 30 November 2011 at 07:41. Reason: typos, like always!
Old 30 November 2011, 08:49   #9
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfish View Post
By this I mean simple things like having different gfx themes every level (maybe have 4 sublevels per "level" (level 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 1-4, 2-1, 2-2, and so on).
Yeah - in best Amiga traditions, we should have Castle, Egypt,Aztec and Underwater themed levels
Old 30 November 2011, 08:52   #10
musojon74

Egypt and Aztec make for fun musical ideas:-)
Old 30 November 2011, 21:33   #11
khph_re

@fishyfish

Sounds like plenty of work to go round, especially for backgrounds.
I guess you could just farm out a theme, a resolution, and palette and let people send you stuff?
Our you going to use the copper for a gradient?
Old 01 December 2011, 04:24   #12
fishyfish
Banned

The only "absolute" in regards to any given level is that colors16-31 are used for sprites, so those particular colors are set in stone (which in effect also means 48-63 for ehb levels).

If copper gradients are suited to a them I dont mind using them.

Anyway, I'll upload v0.3a (revision no. picked at random, but it "feels" about right )somewhere a little later today. I had planned to do it yesterday, but I ended up making a few changes which introduced some new bugs as well
Old 01 December 2011, 09:45   #13
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

The resolution is standart 320x256 I think? And I would agree with khph_re - you could let people send their backgrounds of given parameters so you can choose the most suitable ones. I think it is a good idea to have graphics from more authors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfish View Post
The only "absolute" in regards to any given level is that colors16-31 are used for sprites, so those particular colors are set in stone (which in effect also means 48-63 for ehb levels).
So if we are talking about 64 colors game, I think color 0 shouldn't be used for graphics (as it is mostly used for fonts etc), and we have colors 1-15 adjustable for graphics (and 48-63 of ehb variants). Sprite colors 16-31 would be fixed for the whole game?

Last edited by prowler; 01 December 2011 at 21:06. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged; please use the Edit button.
Old 01 December 2011, 10:13   #14
fishyfish
Banned

Fonts can use any color register. Color0 does however have a few things attached to it. The main one being it's used for transparency so should be avoided for moving gfx if a person doesnt want the graphics to be seen through. This isnt always the case, but it something to consider.

As for sprite colors (16-31), technically they dont need to be locked throughout the game, but the cursor is a 16 color sprite so altering the palette would also alter the sprite. A different cursor per theme would be one way to get around this, but sprite colors are still 16-31 regardless.

Not exactly exciting stuff yet, but this is how its looking at the moment with its placeholder graphics:
http://postimage.org/image/dpqmoakoh/

Last edited by fishyfish; 01 December 2011 at 14:23.
Old 01 December 2011, 22:25   #15
Photon

Was fun to see this I'd wish you good luck, but it seems you're on top of this already and have found contributors and everything.
Old 04 December 2011, 22:36   #16
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Ï am already trying to draw one background, jungle / plants themed.
Old 07 December 2011, 19:37   #17
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

You have a PM, fishyfish.
Old 07 December 2011, 22:49   #18
musojon74

Did we have a demo at all? Or if not should I look at the original Jooleem, or should I just make some random sfx and music and see what happens?
Old 07 December 2011, 23:19   #19
musojon74

Oh, samples - we save in 8svx I guess, and hopefully if I set the rate in Soundstudio and you play them back it'll work right....?? Determined to use the Amiga for all the creation but it's been some time!
Old 08 December 2011, 17:54   #20
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
Following this with interest, though I had to search for Jooleem to see what the game was like as I had never heard of it before

me can hope for a frog/pond themed level

Happy ribbiting