amiman99

How about calling it "STRIKE of FURY" ?
Old 02 February 2015, 09:34   #502
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiman99 View Post
How about calling it "STRIKE of FURY" ?
Or furious strike or rythm of fire or assbeats of destruction...
Old 02 February 2015, 10:25   #503
Hewitson

A lawyer sends a single letter and everyone starts shitting themselves? This is just pathetic. Grow a pair and release the game exactly as you intended!
Old 02 February 2015, 12:17   #504
leathered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon View Post
Well, i tried to compile it, and it doesn't work instantly. Samples are "illegal". Dunno (adding a #nosound-condition solved that). Still, even not seen your src now, i can give you some hints, e.g. always use DEFTYPE to declare all non-declared variables (you forgot in your wip src-even the vbi-counter in that quirky select routine was quick instead of int), nest AND conditions, split OR conditions, precalc variables when they never change inside loops and so on. When loading files while already in Blitzmode, switch to QAmiga mode first (missed that one too), otherwise the exe could crash or misbehave.
The game didn't compile with the debugger for a long time - but there's more that I was doing that blitz considered illegal - doesn't make it bad as such! I still code without the de-bugger, I was amazed recently that it actually worked when I was trying to find the source of a recent error (as expected I'd run out of memory).
You should realise surely that quirky select routine is just that - knocked up in 5 minutes before release just so that players could change the number of goons. I was sure that DEFTYPE defines the 'default' variable type so there's no point in using that to define every variable, simply suffix a .b/.w/.l when the variables are initially set. Every variable in the game is an integer - so there's no point in worrying about it is there? These days I'm using assembler variables which need to be defined in a statement. I find also that for converting routines to assembler it helps if the BASIC is as simple as possible to begin with. Pre-calc'ing the variables that don't change in a loop - sure, but what makes you think that the variable isn't changing? It would be a constant otherwise - and back then there weren't any of those. If again you're talking about the number goons for the list - then sure that could be remedied, but would require a restart of the game to change. I left it as a variable anticipating the demo would return to the title screen at some point (which it didn't).

The QAmiga was definitely missed back then (probably the first time I'd ever used it, tbh), but it doesn't hurt to be reminded.
If the sounds were illegal then I wouldn't have been able to load them right?
I generally find that the source of others is difficult to compile straight off the bat because setups can vary so much between the ide, even in Blitz.

I like the fact that you're looking at the source and I guess you're the only one doing so. Would you like to see the real thing? It doesn't look much, but she's got it where it counts =). Again you'll see short cuts abound, perhaps you really can help remedy that. I don't mean to sound cold - but don't bother if all you're looking to do is make a 'name' for yourself shitting over this thread. There's enough of that already. Consider one thing - advice is all well and good (if that's actually what is - which appears to be the case), but it's only going to go so far if I'm doing the actual coding - in other words, what exactly do you want out of this? If you want to prove yourself as a coder - there are other ways that I'm sure I don't need to point out.
So I don't code like you, but why make that your problem unless you're actually prepared to do something about it? Let's put that to work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Browne View Post
Love the shitty new name "Beats of fire". It literally means nothing.
Glad you like it. Beats of Rage is an obvious starting point. Never heard of the film 'Streets of Fire'? It was supposedly a major influence on Final Fight - including Michael Pare as main protagonist, Tom Cody. Some time after I started this I had an urge to include elements from that film and in line with other beat 'em ups, including attacking bikers that could sweeten up the long fight in front of the statue of liberty, a brand new level at the very end and new boss (I never did like Belger as a boss).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
A lawyer sends a single letter and everyone starts shitting themselves? This is just pathetic. Grow a pair and release the game exactly as you intended!
Pedant's pants are still warm and dry although these days I'm wearing brown leather just in case . But I'm not putting up with all the - lets call it 'admin' on this thread just to get stung. If Capcom give permission then I may still release it as Final Fight - but for a long time (since the maturity of the engine) I've been desiring to do my own thing with it. Recent events have tipped the odds in the favour of doing something different - call that an excuse, if you will.

Anyway, how about 'Sheets of Beige?' Since there's all this talk of me proverbially pooing one's undies?

Last edited by leathered; 02 February 2015 at 12:23.
Old 02 February 2015, 13:08   #505
Gzegzolka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
I would say it's safty measure - not lack of balls. It's better change name of project and contiune work, than recive tons of spam/scan/mails and lost will to continue it.
Old 02 February 2015, 17:30   #506
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

You could if you really wanted to, turn it into a tongue in cheek piss take.

"Streets of Mild Indifference"
"Streets of fisticuffs leading to drinks afterwards"
"Streets of "Sorry chap, wrong bloke!""
Old 02 February 2015, 18:26   #507
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
You could if you really wanted to, turn it into a tongue in cheek piss take.

"Streets of Mild Indifference"
"Streets of fisticuffs leading to drinks afterwards"
"Streets of "Sorry chap, wrong bloke!""
"Streets of Mild Indifference" That has a certain ring to it

Or maybe something less fun, but keeping with the streets of.. tone.

"Streets Of EnRAGEment"
Old 02 February 2015, 19:28   #508
Superman

"Second To Last Scrap" perhaps?
Old 02 February 2015, 20:29   #509
spud

Semifinal Fight
Old 03 February 2015, 00:04   #510
leathered

Cheers guys, that was well worth coming home to see =), and it reminds me of the roots of this thing.
It's all based on an engine I wrote in Amos called "Fighter's Tendency".

And seriously, if someone does come up with a better name then I'm all for it – but then what is a rose etc. (or a thorn for that matter). I mean I haven't even touched the title screen yet, I presently consider it Final Fight AGA written in the Beats of Fire engine. I'm guessing nobody got permission to create Final Fight Apocalypse on BOR? Bad acronyms- BOR or BOF; for that reason alone I like them =).

Last edited by leathered; 05 February 2015 at 12:20. Reason: Boom! Told ya. No place for that today.
Old 03 February 2015, 01:02   #511
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by leathered View Post
The game didn't compile with the debugger for a long time - but there's more that I was doing that blitz considered illegal - doesn't make it bad as such! I still code without the de-bugger, I was amazed recently that it actually worked when I was trying to find the source of a recent error (as expected I'd run out of memory).
You should realise surely that quirky select routine is just that - knocked up in 5 minutes before release just so that players could change the number of goons. I was sure that DEFTYPE defines the 'default' variable type so there's no point in using that to define every variable, simply suffix a .b/.w/.l when the variables are initially set. Every variable in the game is an integer - so there's no point in worrying about it is there? These days I'm using assembler variables which need to be defined in a statement. I find also that for converting routines to assembler it helps if the BASIC is as simple as possible to begin with. Pre-calc'ing the variables that don't change in a loop - sure, but what makes you think that the variable isn't changing? It would be a constant otherwise - and back then there weren't any of those. If again you're talking about the number goons for the list - then sure that could be remedied, but would require a restart of the game to change. I left it as a variable anticipating the demo would return to the title screen at some point (which it didn't).

The QAmiga was definitely missed back then (probably the first time I'd ever used it, tbh), but it doesn't hurt to be reminded.
If the sounds were illegal then I wouldn't have been able to load them right?
I generally find that the source of others is difficult to compile straight off the bat because setups can vary so much between the ide, even in Blitz.

I like the fact that you're looking at the source and I guess you're the only one doing so. Would you like to see the real thing? It doesn't look much, but she's got it where it counts =). Again you'll see short cuts abound, perhaps you really can help remedy that. I don't mean to sound cold - but don't bother if all you're looking to do is make a 'name' for yourself shitting over this thread. There's enough of that already. Consider one thing - advice is all well and good (if that's actually what is - which appears to be the case), but it's only going to go so far if I'm doing the actual coding - in other words, what exactly do you want out of this? If you want to prove yourself as a coder - there are other ways that I'm sure I don't need to point out.
So I don't code like you, but why make that your problem unless you're actually prepared to do something about it? Let's put that to work...

Glad you like it. Beats of Rage is an obvious starting point. Never heard of the film 'Streets of Fire'? It was supposedly a major influence on Final Fight - including Michael Pare as main protagonist, Tom Cody. Some time after I started this I had an urge to include elements from that film and in line with other beat 'em ups, including attacking bikers that could sweeten up the long fight in front of the statue of liberty, a brand new level at the very end and new boss (I never did like Belger as a boss).

Pedant's pants are still warm and dry although these days I'm wearing brown leather just in case . But I'm not putting up with all the - lets call it 'admin' on this thread just to get stung. If Capcom give permission then I may still release it as Final Fight - but for a long time (since the maturity of the engine) I've been desiring to do my own thing with it. Recent events have tipped the odds in the favour of doing something different - call that an excuse, if you will.

Anyway, how about 'Sheets of Beige?' Since there's all this talk of me proverbially pooing one's undies?
Yup, I remember streets of fire, oddly its a musical or musical beat-em-up?
Michael Pare's career 'burned out' many moons ago though. The Philadelphia experiment was his high point.

When you say that your changing tact with this project, erm...I hope you don't mean a musical beat-em-up; what an abhorrent idea.
Old 03 February 2015, 01:31   #512
amiman99

Quote:
Or furious strike or rythm of fire or assbeats of destruction...
assbeats of destruction
Old 05 February 2015, 01:39   #513
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I quite like "Penultimate Ruckus"
Old 05 February 2015, 16:56   #514
edd_jedi

Penultimate Punch-up?
Old 07 February 2015, 02:45   #515
Cylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by leathered View Post
... I was sure that DEFTYPE defines the 'default' variable type so there's no point in using that to define every variable, simply suffix a .b/.w/.l when the variables are initially set. Every variable in the game is an integer - so there's no point in worrying about it is there?
'No point' doesn't quite made it. It is more than that:
Default type of a (non-string) variable is QUICK.

DEFTYPE defines variables or the default behavior, unless otherwise stated.
So, e.g. using DEFTYPE.w will cause every non-defined variable to be a .w (word, 16bit signed). If nothing is chosen as the default, default remains as typeof QUICK, which is some kindof floating point, but certainly not integer.

Quote:
... Pre-calc'ing the variables that don't change in a loop - sure, but what makes you think that the variable isn't changing? ...
Take a look at the code, you'll find some places, i do so most of the times
(Just recently i quickly revisited the smurfhunt code (in AMOS), but i cannot compile it yet-plenty of hits !).

Quote:
Yeahh, that's true. I'm using my own environment, and it's adjusted to my needs, with my libs and the updates dating back to late 90s.
Quote:
I like the fact that you're looking at the source and I guess you're the only one doing so. Would you like to see the real thing? It doesn't look much, but she's got it where it counts =). Again you'll see short cuts abound, perhaps you really can help remedy that. I don't mean to sound cold - but don't bother if all you're looking to do is make a 'name' for yourself shitting over this thread.
Don't be so negative. I can provide some help, at least i'll have a look and give you a second opinion of what it looks like to the outside world. You donot have to talk about it in public, just send me pm.
Keep up the work!

Last edited by Cylon; 07 February 2015 at 04:06. Reason: chg text
Old 07 February 2015, 23:56   #516
leathered

Quote:
'No point' doesn't quite made it. It is more than that:
Default type of a (non-string) variable is QUICK.

DEFTYPE defines variables or the default behavior, unless otherwise stated.
So, e.g. using DEFTYPE.w will cause every non-defined variable to be a .w (word, 16bit signed). If nothing is chosen as the default, default remains as typeof QUICK, which is some kindof floating point, but certainly not integer.
Obviously yes and point taken – although I was pretty sure the default 'deftype' is a Byte (probably just what I have it set to now – runs to flip through the manual) yes you are right, the default is a Quick. After a while, one's memory can become bugged over such things. I guess I should say “thank you”.
In any case and as I said before, there is no reason to redefine 'DEFTYPE' all the time as long as you define the type manually when variables are created with the appropriate suffix.
Come on, the worst that can happen is a complete crash of the system (!) or a 'Mismatched Type error' =)
And now I'm really through splitting hairs with you, right? =)
Quote:
Don't be so negative. I can provide some help, at least i'll have a look and give you a second opinion of what it looks like to the outside world. You donot have to talk about it in public, just send me pm.
Keep up the work!
As I said to you in pm, if I wasn't cynical enough already this thread probably hasn't helped much!
Once you get through my BS filter you'll find I'm really just such a lovely bloke, a friend for life and all that.
Now I quite honestly don't give a Damnd about what the outside world thinks of my code and actually have no plans to release it as such anyway just yet – I think it is far more helpful to write short examples of any Blitz2 related discoveries as separate (and better commented than my trash) articles.

But I will gladly take you up on your offer – and maybe you can even help me to write something for it further down the line. Yeah keep it in PM, I have a front to keep up here you know =). Looking forward to your insights good man =).
Old 08 February 2015, 02:24   #517
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichAplin View Post
I do see a fair number of negative comments about the games I worked on (just kinda generally, e.g. youtube)
YouTube commenters are usually trolls or immature kids. I have been on YT for years (since March 2007) and lots of talented people on their have had loads of crap comments which they don't deserve, so you can safely ignore those.

Quote:
"what the fuck is with all these armchair game developers having a go at me?"
We're all nerds with high standards - some having warped ideas: good and bad!
Two programmers will never think the same way all the time, even when given the same tasks/problems to deal with.

Quote:
Other game developers I know from back in the day (various names you've heard of or not) didn't give me a hard time, some were even quite complimentary...
Many of us (certainly myself) don't know the specifics of the working conditions and environment that you had to work in. Hearing from people like yourself and dlfrsilver, as well as reading recent books like Ocean: The History, have certainly helped myself and others from understanding the way the industry worked back then.

For what it's worth, I am self taught in all the languages I currently know (Spectrum BASIC, AMOS Professional, HTML, Visual Basic 6 and 68000 assembler) and am still very much learning better ways to code. I have been programming on and off since I was a teenager in the early 90's.
Getting the inside scoop on how your games work (as well as the legendary demo coders on this site) has helped me improve my coding practices.

Quote:
Love the shitty new name "Beats of fire". It literally means nothing.
Actually... it's very similar to Beats Of Rage, inspired by Sega's Streets Of Rage game.
The unofficial Dreamcast version has graphics *cough* borrowed from King Of Fighters or Final Fight, IIRC. It's been a few years since I played it.

I recommed changing the title to Come Get Some!!!

Last edited by Lonewolf10; 08 February 2015 at 02:41.
Old 19 April 2015, 21:13   #518
Konrad

Any news on this project ? Would love to know if there's been some progress since the last update. Or did development come to a halt ?
Old 19 April 2015, 22:29   #519
lesta_smsc

Speaking of Streets of Rage. I never did play that... might have to give it a go! Original Mega Drive version or is there a better port elsewhere?
Old 19 April 2015, 22:55   #520
edd_jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Speaking of Streets of Rage. I never did play that... might have to give it a go! Original Mega Drive version or is there a better port elsewhere?
Skip the first one, just play the Mega Drive version of SOR2. It doesn't get any better, still my all-time favourite sideways scrolling beat em up.