English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 17 April 2006, 09:44   #1
jasonver2.0
ABR Creator

Creating ISO images of Amiga CD's

I know this is probably the wrong section for this - I dont know where else you would put a question like this

What program is good for making ISO images out of Amiga CD's? I have a total of 10 and would like to have ISO versions to run through a TOSEC dat and as backup.

I tried running 1 through Nero and Alcohol 52%, but they have a read error of some sort. Apart from that they both want to save in the MDS or NRG formats.

What program should I use?
Old 17 April 2006, 10:04   #2
AMIGAZ
Amiga-Mad

Send a message via ICQ to AMIGAZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonver2.0
I know this is probably the wrong section for this - I dont know where else you would put a question like this

What program is good for making ISO images out of Amiga CD's? I have a total of 10 and would like to have ISO versions to run through a TOSEC dat and as backup.

I tried running 1 through Nero and Alcohol 52%, but they have a read error of some sort. Apart from that they both want to save in the MDS or NRG formats.

What program should I use?
In my opinion the best prog to use is Clone CD and then make a bin/cue file of the cd which is as common as iso files
Old 17 April 2006, 10:41   #3
Galaxy

Check out Duke's CD ripping guide
Old 03 May 2006, 06:59   #4
gizmomelb

unfortunately this guide is horribly out of date, as almost all of the software versions have moved on and do not have the options which Duke says to set.
Old 03 May 2006, 07:36   #5
keropi

I use Blindread 4.5.7 for all my iso making needs... never failed me (at least not on common cd's...)
Old 03 May 2006, 08:23   #6
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmomelb
unfortunately this guide is horribly out of date, as almost all of the software versions have moved on and do not have the options which Duke says to set.
You need to find the versions Duke uses... he uses those particular versions for a reason
Old 03 May 2006, 08:30   #7
jasonver2.0
ABR Creator

The latest CDRWin (Demo) creates images that are compatible with the TOSEC dat's.

Goto Extract Disc/Tracks/Sectors

- Turn of RAW reading

- Turn on FULL Subcode Analysis

The demo of CDRWin states it can only BURN at 1x speed, but to create an image file goes full speed

Did my 8 Coverdisk CD's with it and it worked like a charm!!! (TOSEC CUE Files can be downloaded from the TOSEC Misc downloads)

Thank you

P.S: I have AmigaActive CD Issue 20 with 2 tracks (audio track followed by data track!!), I notice its not in the TOSEC dat. Is there a program that could enable me to dump it? (CDRWin wont to more that 1 track)

Last edited by jasonver2.0; 03 May 2006 at 08:36.
Old 03 May 2006, 16:23   #8
[idoru]

The EAC version isn't particularly important as the options are all still there in the latest version (I know cos I recently re-installed Windows and hence EAC ).

There are a couple of AmigActive discs like that, that's why there's a few missing from the dat atm.
Old 03 May 2006, 16:47   #9
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

I think the reading of subchannel data as mentioned by jasonver2.0 may be very important. On PC CDs at least these are sometimes used for copy protection, and also for Karaoke CDs. Not all CD players/recorders can read all this data properly.

Not sure why you would turn off RAW channel reading though?

Last edited by Calgor; 03 May 2006 at 16:52.
Old 04 May 2006, 04:33   #10
jasonver2.0
ABR Creator

Yeah, I would have thought you would have to ENABLE raw reading, since its a foreign file system. I tried reading a disc with RAW turned on and it had a reading error!! I then tried it without it on and it worked perfectly.

btw The information from my last post was from a guide mentioned earlier in this thread
Old 04 May 2006, 09:05   #11
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

More information on RAW, and a link to copying RAW + subchannel data from this link: http://knowhow.cdfreaks.com/article.php?ID=118

I got a LiteON DVDRW for the reason they are supposed to be one of the best copiers around (the older Plextor CD writers were apparently good too). From what I understand, reading in RAW mode means copying errored data without trying to correct it, which is what some copy protection schemes need. You would then write the data in RAW mode to write back the errors. Sorry I cannot be more exact on the RAW stuff but it's been awhile.... maybe someone else can be more helpful.

What I do know for sure, is that if you want to make an exact copy, you need to at least copy ALL of the subchannel data. Some CDs may not even store anything there so it may not matter, but for others it will. I have no idea if Amiga CDs used any copy protection of this sort etc.
Old 04 May 2006, 09:11   #12
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

Just a note, according to the link i posted, turning RAW reading on might let you bypass the read error you are getting - but the question is, is the read error due to copy protection or is it due to a bad CD? And is RAW reading ON the right thing to do?.....
Old 04 May 2006, 13:40   #13
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
Originally Posted by [idoru]
The EAC version isn't particularly important as the options are all still there in the latest version (I know cos I recently re-installed Windows and hence EAC ).
True, and likewise this applies to the version of CDRWin. The wiki was last updated on September 4, 2005.
I think Duke simply did not know at that time about CDRWin 4.0B already being out on August 25, 2005 (well it's a few days more than one mere week!).

Hence I suggest to not take everything at face value, as later versions usually work fine as well.