English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 03 August 2004, 13:32   #1
LeeC(Guest)

Amiga external drive

Hi all, been waiting for my confirmation email, which hasn't arrived so I am posting as a guest... hope nobody minds.

I have just bought a shedload of Amiga hardware and it included an external floppy. On the back, there are 2 switches... 1 marked "0 1" which I assume is enabled or disabled and the other marked "A 0 B" which I am not sure about. Can anybody shed any light as to how the second switch might function. At a guess I suspect it may be to do with the daisychaining of drives but I'm not sure. Been a lot of years since I last had any Amiga hardware and I've forgotten how it all works.

Cheers for your help
Lee C

Old 03 August 2004, 16:26   #2
Syko
Now got GSX750F :))

That would be the Power Computing PC880

In single drive, setting it to 1 on 0-1 and 0 on A-0-B gives DF1, and allows other drives to be plugged in. Can't find the manual for it, but that should get you working anyway
Old 03 August 2004, 17:33   #3
LeeC

Thanks Syko, I appreciate the help.

Old 03 August 2004, 17:54   #4
Syko
Now got GSX750F :))

see ya'all got that confirmation email then yet another old git hanging around trying to recapture their youth it's longer lasting than the other methods though!

happened to remember that bloody stupid A-0-B switch, and mine's in a big box of miggy stuff, but near the top...

Have fun with your 'new' hardware...

Last edited by Syko; 03 August 2004 at 18:01.
Old 04 August 2004, 17:27   #5
LeeC

hehe, no problem recapturing my youth mate... it never left, or so my wife keeps hinting anyway. I guess when you work in the games industry, you've gotta keep a little bit of the child alive to keep the imagination flowing... that's my excuse anyway.

Been trying to find out about that A-0-B switch but I can't find anything really. Found an advert with something about the drive having its own copying system built into it or summat. I'll keep hunting...

Old 04 August 2004, 17:53   #6
fiath

I have that drive! Not sure if it still works or not though.

Basically it was for the "Blitz" copying program that came with the drive. It was a hardware copying thing. But it my experience it was pretty dire. Basically you switch the drive to B (I think) to go into Blitz mode - which can only be used in the associated program anyway. The program had modes for Atari/PC/Amiga and "other" format disks.

I might still have the software somewhere, but it will take some looking...
Old 04 August 2004, 18:07   #7
ant512

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiath
I might still have the software somewhere, but it will take some looking...
I have this drive, plus software (it came with X-Copy and Cyclone) and manual at home. I know exactly where the software is (I've got an ADF of it that I'll upload as soon as I get chance), but I'll have to dig around for the manual.
Old 04 August 2004, 20:54   #8
ant512

Well, I can't find the manual, but I have got the software. It's uploading to the Zone now (@LeeC - you need to register with EAB to access it, I think). The zip file includes:

- the driver disk (Blitz copier and a control utility);
- Power's Floppy Expander (compresses files on floppies - not really useful then, useless now, and downright dangerous as the compressed files were prone to errors);
- the copying disk (X-Copy and Cyclone; this disk is stored as individual files, as I couldn't get any disk imagers to produce an ADF of the original floppy).
Old 04 August 2004, 21:44   #9
fiath

Ahh, you seem to have the later version than me. I remember being really rather pissed off after buying my drive for £70 (!!) that another version came out with Cyclone support...
Old 06 August 2004, 10:32   #10
LeeC

Wow, thanks all, top stuff.

Ant512: do you mean registered? My first post was made while I was waiting for my confirmation email so I am now registered here, is that what you mean?

Thanks again peeps, appreciate it.

Cheers
Lee C

Ah, sussed how to get into The Zone! excellent!

Old 06 August 2004, 11:31   #11
ant512

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeC
Ant512: do you mean registered? My first post was made while I was waiting for my confirmation email so I am now registered here, is that what you mean?
Yep.