English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 15 November 2003, 00:27   #21
Severin

Send a message via ICQ to Severin
Quote:
Originally posted by Echo
I've seen it quite recently actually, but then perhaps you get what you pay for. TV/computer stores with TFTs on display which have horrible grey areas that should be black. Could be the fluorescent lighting in the store too.
dixons? currys? pc-world? I wouldn't be surprised, they never bother to adjust the monitors, mostly because only one bloke there knows how to (and it's always his day off), and the punters pissing about with them...

Flourescent lighting doesn't make and difference, I use mine with it all the time, what do you think the light source for a TFT is anyway?

Go into one of these shops and use the auto config and see how much better the monitor looks when it's finished.

Another plus point for TFT's that no one's mentioned yet...

No nasty emmissions...

Since I switched I've stopped looking like Alice Cooper
Old 15 November 2003, 03:11   #22
Echo

Quote:
Originally posted by Severin
Another thing that really pisses me off is gamers ranting on about how many fps thay're getting and moaning if it's less than 3 figures, one bloke was ranting that he got 162 fps on some game, but became highly upset when I pointed out that as his monitor only refeshed 75 times a second it was a bloody waste of time rendering the extra 87 frames...
I just want to point out that I'm not one of these

I sync my games to the screen refresh, usually 60 or 72hz - so no tearing, nor daft processing time to achieve this.

Silky smooth, like one sees on consoles.
Old 15 November 2003, 03:16   #23
Djay
95th User

Quote:
dixons? currys? pc-world? I wouldn't be surprised, they never bother to adjust the monitors, mostly because only one bloke there knows how to (and it's always his day off), and the punters pissing about with them...
indeed...

also they run 15+ tft's of one PC and then use multi monitor connections to split signal (so they present a shite picture).... i suppose they can't right-off 15 PCs to display each TFT properly...

also stock turn around is so quick, some poor bastard would spend his life fine tuning TFTs (and then a custard would come along a bugger up all the settings anyway)
Old 15 November 2003, 06:14   #24
adolescent
Powered by Motorola

I have to agree with Echo here. I find the current TFTs inferior. I have a rather old and cheap Viewsonic flat p220f 20" a work. My department "upgraded" to flat panels and tried to lure me with a comparable 19" Viewsonic model. I used it for a week before deciding it wasn't for me. As Echo said, the blacks looked gray, (probably because the screen itself was a bit gray, not black like a normal CRT). The native resolution at 1280x1024 was much lower than my 20" CRT's 1600x1200 resolution. Any lower resolutions were unusable, since everything is too blurry. Also, playing videos tended to cause streaking that made it hard to make out details.

Besides the extra desk space and neat look. I can't think of a single reason that would justify the extra money.
Old 15 November 2003, 10:55   #25
vertigo

I really dont want to get into arguments about this as there is a clear divide here which wont change.

But really, I have no problems with TFTs I use a Samsung and this one dont streak ,or even remain unusable at lower res I run WinUAe games @640x480 (just checked) and they look great, indeed the reason for wanting to use my TFT with my Amiga was because Workbench in WinUAE had never looked so good until I used this moniter.

The only things I would tend to agree with is that Blacks in TFTs may not look black if your not within the angle of vision but hey I can lie in bed several feet away and watch a DVD viewed from my TFT no problem and it looks so sharp & contrasty and still very black, the other thing is dead pixels, if you want a TFT do your best to try the very item your buying in the shop as there is a clause in the guarantee that says the panel wont be changed unless there is a certain amount of dead pixels, mine is around 4 Bright or Dead pixels I think, luckily I have none despite the kids forever poking there fingers onto the screen several times a day!

vertigo

Last edited by vertigo; 15 November 2003 at 11:10.

Old 16 November 2003, 14:42   #26
Severin

Quote:
Originally posted by Echo
So one has to run all their games at the native resolution, and as this is usually 1280x1024 (which is aspect incorrect I might add)
Aspect Incorrect? bollocks. It might be for those nasty NTSC resolution based PC's but it's a proper Amiga PAL screen resolution with the same aspect ratio as 320x256 and 640x512...

How many times in the past have those extra few lines PAL gives you been incredibly useful, dunno about you, but I never ran anything on an NTSC screenmode if it was avoidable...
Old 16 November 2003, 15:08   #27
Echo

Quote:
Aspect Incorrect? bollocks. It might be for those nasty NTSC resolution based PC's but it's a proper Amiga PAL screen resolution with the same aspect ratio as 320x256 and 640x512...

How many times in the past have those extra few lines PAL gives you been incredibly useful, dunno about you, but I never ran anything on an NTSC screenmode if it was avoidable...
If the physical shape of a TFT is different to a CRT, then it'll be correct. However, if it isn't - circles will appear squashed vertically compared to 1280x960. No doubt about it.

640 / 480 = 1.3333 rec
800 / 600 = 1.3333 rec
1024 / 768 = 1.3333 rec
1280 / 960 = 1.3333 rec
1280 / 1024 = 1.25
1600 / 1200 = 1.3333 rec
Old 16 November 2003, 22:38   #28
Severin

It would, unless you install the monitor drivers...

That's what they're there for

ok, now it's time for you to start ranting about how bad widescreen TFT's are now
Old 17 November 2003, 01:18   #29
Echo

Quote:
It would, unless you install the monitor drivers...

That's what they're there for
How is that going to help though? If the physical aspect of a TFT is identical to a CRT, no drivers are going to cure the elipse / 'fat graphics' problem.

Quote:
ok, now it's time for you to start ranting about how bad widescreen TFT's are now
Don't get me started on widescreen, those tellys are bloody everywhere these days!

I paid through the nose for a 4:3 Sony set last Christmas because I wanted something that would function for multiple inputs. Imagine retro gaming with a squashed display, either that or huge side borders and a tiny display. Shiver.