English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 28 December 2015, 10:32   #1
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

For people who wants to create Amiga games without programming

Just want to tell you about this game I found on Aminet. Here you have good platform engine there you can pretty much change everything!

You can very easily create objects, levels etc with the included editors. The title screen, ending screen is also easy to modify (iff images). And the music is in Protracker format. What i can see, there is nothing you can't change

Maybe something worth to check out for AmigaPD, nittamituaki and others who have made great modifications for other games
Old 28 December 2015, 19:20   #2
TurboCrash

And the code too, it was written in AMOS Basic V1.3 and the source seems to be included.
Old 28 December 2015, 19:24   #3
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Any screenshots of it in action?

Hmm. Looks interesting, jumping seems a little stiff and there's some latency with movement but might be my setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	042.png
Views:	538
Size:	372.6 KB
ID:	46749   Click image for larger version

Name:	044.png
Views:	430
Size:	365.5 KB
ID:	46750   Click image for larger version

Name:	046.png
Views:	413
Size:	277.9 KB
ID:	46751  

Last edited by lordofchaos; 28 December 2015 at 19:52.
Old 28 December 2015, 21:47   #4
mjnurney

now this is interesting ...

does it compile to an executable file (s)
Old 28 December 2015, 23:57   #5
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjnurney View Post
now this is interesting ...

does it compile to an executable file (s)
Well the source code is present so I don't see why not

Maybe some well drawn gfx and a top quality tune...Could work well with a Jet Set Willy type experience.. Using a limited colour palette of 4 with a monochrome style, keeping things moving fast on slower machines..
Old 29 December 2015, 01:06   #6
Amiten
Banned

@hipoonios Great Discovery mate! absolut great thanks for share the link.

is a finish university work from the maker and looks prety cool.

only is 16X16 map but with little can handle 32x32 too and great the Source code is there

and in some cain of "Development Game Tool" this game maker for amos gonna be a very solid Engine to Start in develop an hipotetical "Amos Game Maker ASAP" in all Amos coders here in the comunity inlcude my self.

Good Times Come good times gone...

All the best
Old 29 December 2015, 15:14   #7
Amiten
Banned

Any voluntarious to take this pseudo amos game maker and build a nice development enviorment please amos coders here please feedback
Old 29 April 2016, 23:09   #8
nobody

Running flawless on Amiga 500 with 1 mb RAM, Workbech 1.3. looks like using 32 colors on main game.
Good program. If it was expanded somehow, since the source code is there could be really useful. Even now is useful but for a limited game style, hack and slash, beat em up or something like that.
Old 29 April 2016, 23:19   #9
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Funny you bumping this thread. Because I was just thinking of this game/editor again earlier in the week.

It's a very good program indeed and a worthy alternative to Backbone. It would be nice to see a new game created with it.

And as someone previously said, the AMOS code is there. So it shouldn't be that hard add new stuff if needed.
Old 30 April 2016, 11:08   #10
nobody

an explanation about tiles (blocks.iff). The game takes the palette from this image

Old 15 May 2016, 10:07   #11
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

I made a video of included game Henry Island. Just to show what kind of game you can do with this software:

[ Show youtube player ]

There are some limitations for sure. Like you can't have sound-fx. See quickstart.txt from the archive for all limitations.
Old 20 July 2016, 07:44   #12
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

I found Ovenbird on Aminet. It's a completely rewritten version of Sparrow. Better use that if you want to create a new game.

You need to download two archives:

http://aminet.net/game/misc/ovenbird.lha
ftp://aminet.net/game/misc/ovenbirded.lha

I took a quick look. This is much better than Sparrow. Lot of fixes and more features.
Old 28 July 2016, 15:06   #13
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

I made a video of "Tame Raider". A game created with Overbird. Some new things I found that Sparrow did not have:

You can now have more than one enemy in a room, text messages, you can pickup money that you can buy things for, keys and other items, you can even make enemies drop items that is needed to open doors. You can make enemies rise again and some other things...

And many bug fixes, such no more flickering, enemies don't come back if you've killed them and enter the room again.
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 28 July 2016, 16:54   #14
nobody

A good game can be made with that engine and with 32 colors the graphics can be really good. Maybe i will use it for a platform game.
Old 28 July 2016, 17:00   #15
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

That would be really cool if someone created a game with this software. We have enough Backbone games now! I actually know a guy who started to make a game in Sparrow. But now he have to start over again because I found Overbird He said it was not possible to use the data from Sparrow.

edit:

Ok, the guy I was talking about (Ironclaw) just told me he might redo the 50 levels he already made in Sparrow, but he tries to find the motivation first, because those 50 rooms took quite a whole to do and is painful to redo. If it was just the tiles in the .iff that was rearranged it would be no problem he said, but it was more than that - the while map structure had changed too.

Last edited by hipoonios; 28 July 2016 at 17:23.
Old 28 July 2016, 20:54   #16
Cobe

Nice find. I like Rhonda. And the way she squats though I don't like how she jumps.. I wish I know to draw.. and I wish you all luck with further developments. Backbone is really ridiculous with its requirements.
Old 01 August 2016, 10:26   #17
nobody

Now the map is 10*10 so it is 100 rooms and looks like it uses 64 colors so that should be the reason it is slowing down. Also the blocks.iff is different now and uses bigger enemies than before. I don't see any weapons (?)
Old 01 August 2016, 11:42   #18
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

I did not noticed any slowdowns when playing the demo game. Well, the game was slowing down in rooms with three enemies. Two enemies in one room seems to work fine. In the old version you could only have one enemy in a room. Maybe this can be the reason to the slow down?

100 rooms was also in the old version. But 64 colors is new I think.

There's no slowdown in my video because I used fastest possible in WinUAE

Edit: no weapons possible I'm afraid :/
Edit2: you can have your own size of enemies now. That's at least what my friend said.

Last edited by hipoonios; 01 August 2016 at 12:13.