English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 12 October 2014, 18:18   #1
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Day of the Tentacle - An adventure classic unofficial remake in the works!

Quote:
2014 is turning out to be a great year for both new gamers and retro enthusiasts, as not only did we have classic games like Ambermoon, Deuteros and Shadow of the Beast Legacy to play, but awesome AAA games such as Alien and Wolfenstein: New Order. So it's with great pleasure to announce that the 1993 hit classic "Day of the Tentacle" is getting an unofficial remake!
http://www.indieretronews.com/2014/1...e-classic.html
Old 16 October 2014, 04:05   #2
lurch

Love this game, although it probably doesn't need a remake. Maybe just an updated port for Windows so you don't need SCUMMVM or DOS Box would be good :-)
Old 22 October 2014, 07:59   #3
Storm
SYS64738

I'm looking forward to it's release.
Old 22 October 2014, 09:18   #4
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch View Post
Love this game, although it probably doesn't need a remake. Maybe just an updated port for Windows so you don't need SCUMMVM or DOS Box would be good :-)
Yeah but then you'd be playing the exact same game again. The benefit (or possibly downfall) of a remake is that it can be a little or a lot different so you're free to explore and experience new things.
Old 22 October 2014, 10:33   #5
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I hope the author can contact the member of LucasArts Singapore who reportedly produced an 80% complete "Day of the Tentacle : Special Edition" as an unofficial "friday afternoon" project.

http://kotaku.com/how-lucasarts-fell-apart-1401731043

Quote:
In news that will certainly crush anyone who enjoyed LucasArts-branded adventure games, the team at LucasArts Singapore was working on a remastered version of the classic point-and-click game Day of the Tentacle, according to three people familiar with that project. Like the special editions of the first two Monkey Island games, released in 2009 and 2010, the remastered Day of the Tentacle would be pseudo-3D, with remade background art and cut-scenes redone to run at 30 frames per second.

Although this Day of the Tentacle remake was never officially greenlit, two sources say it was almost finished. One person familiar with the project pegs it at 80% done. But it was never approved, and the company's higher-ups had no interest in continuing to make what they called "legacy" titles like this one. So the game remains unreleased—and perhaps there's a near-finished Day of the Tentacle HD sitting on a shelf somewhere in Singapore, never to be touched again.
Old 22 October 2014, 10:36   #6
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch View Post
What's wrong with SCUMMVM? Works great for me, and makes it possible to run the game on a lot of platforms, including my phone..
Old 26 October 2014, 02:29   #7
B14ck W01f
m68k all the way

I would love to see a remake of DOTT, I really do. But it will be a matter of time before the pricks over at Disney find out about this and sue their asses, then the project will never see the light of day.
Old 26 October 2014, 02:34   #8
Storm
SYS64738

I would love to see a remake of this game. I really enjoyed the LucasArts games back in the day. I do have them on ScummVM anyway if it falls though.
Old 03 November 2015, 11:21   #9
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Some news that passed me by completely, new screenshots:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ts-screenshots

So far it looks heartwarming - new hand drawn graphics for starters. And it still comes with Maniac Mansion for free So not a remake but a repolish much like Grim Fandango.