English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 04 August 2014, 09:51   #21
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
I know ive said many times but games like sundog and stos stuff run quite well at full speed with the ancient Gems emulators
All the ancient emulators i've seen only run on 68000.

Even if one had some working emu for accelerated machines, the code itself might not run at all and you will often have timing issues (many ST games use the cpu for timing, yuck).
Old 04 August 2014, 09:59   #22
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Thank you for reply. Yes 68000 and mainly kick 1.x
I belive chamelion II will run on 68020 but even less compatible.
Old 04 August 2014, 12:53   #23
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
I'm afraid it could be a little bit more complicated than this. Games not only setup the screen but also use a lot of other features. For example OIDS even used the TRAP #2 for some graphic operations.
Maybe so, but easy isn't challenging, so I guess i'll have to suck it up and try anyway.

Which leads me back to 'that' thread where you gave me a bit of a hard time over When Time Stood Still.... a little surprised that you haven't made a guest appearance in any new threads on the matter.

It is done now after all
Old 05 August 2014, 13:20   #24
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I know it is probably silly, but... would it be even possible somehow to add to the game some special feature? I mean for example a tooltype in whdload icon that would start the game with C64 music. I know it was sid and it is less than compatible, but that song was just too good.
Old 05 August 2014, 13:22   #25
s2325
Zone Friend

and smartbomb when screen is too busy
Old 05 August 2014, 13:50   #26
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
I remember that a french coder hanging here did a disassembly. (not Meynaf)
If you're interested there is a Nintendo DS remake with source code (C based) at http://www.karmatoad.co.uk/wp-conten.../Starquake.zip

Kamelito

@Galahad,
Another thing Paul Hughes was programming Starquake 2 which was never released, as a UK dev you may ask him
He may have the original source code of Starquake.

Kamelito
http://www.pauliehughes.com/

ZX spectrum gfx : http://www.icemark.com/downloads/fil...e_graphics.zip
and it's format :http://www.icemark.com/dataformats/starquake/index.html
Forgot to thank you for that, i've contacted Paul Hughes and we'll see where, if anywhere, that leads us
Old 05 August 2014, 20:47   #27
kamelito
Zone Friend

No worries, that's cool, I hope you'll get the source code, Paul seems to be a nice chap.

Kamelito Link of the latest available version : http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari...-ii_29908.html

Last edited by kamelito; 05 August 2014 at 20:54.
Old 06 August 2014, 07:17   #28
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Kamelito - StarQuake 2 that you link to does have much better graphics than the original ST version, however they are very dark (easily fixed though). All levels seem to be the same as the original game, so maybe after all is done these graphics (lighted up a bit) can be incorporated into amiga version as an additional option ?

StarQuake 2 does seem a bit sluggish though when playing compared to the original version, it is around 3 times slower when moving around. A bit annoying, since original ST version is quite speedy...

Blob in ST starquake and the starquake 2 :

Last edited by tomcat666; 09 August 2014 at 08:25.
Old 06 August 2014, 20:56   #29
h0ffman

Loved this on the speccy! Good luck mate, if you want some music and sound effects for this, I might be up for it depending on when you are ready for it.
Old 07 August 2014, 11:06   #30
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Which leads me back to 'that' thread where you gave me a bit of a hard time over When Time Stood Still.... a little surprised that you haven't made a guest appearance in any new threads on the matter.

It is done now after all
Well, perhaps i got mislead by someone who didn't believe in you at all by that time. Or maybe you just needed a small "kick" to finish it
Old 13 September 2014, 22:51   #31
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Are there any news?
Old 24 December 2014, 00:16   #32
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Still any progress?
Old 24 December 2014, 01:07   #33
Bastich

One of my favorite Speccy games
It will be awesome to have this on the Amiga
Looking forward to following its development.
Old 24 December 2014, 02:29   #34
Subzero
Living and Legend

the only c64 game ive played hours for hours... loved it, and i love to see my fav hero is working on it, dunno if i already have mentioned this, you da Man , you Rock Galahad'ster
Old 24 December 2014, 09:49   #35
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Someone needs to put a leash on the Skid Rowdie

Well, i did manage to get the source code from Paul, and Mark Jones had some files and the ST map editor, but nowhere near close enough to the actual game.

So im just going to have to tackle it the usual way, also working on something else as well, will definately have to recode some routines otherwise it will be unacceptably slow.
Old 24 December 2014, 11:41   #36
Strider

This sounds awesome. Starquake was a great game.
Old 24 December 2014, 14:31   #37
kamelito
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Someone needs to put a leash on the Skid Rowdie

Well, i did manage to get the source code from Paul, and Mark Jones had some files and the ST map editor, but nowhere near close enough to the actual game.

So im just going to have to tackle it the usual way, also working on something else as well, will definately have to recode some routines otherwise it will be unacceptably slow.
Awesome !
Maybe the map editor is able to retrieve the datas of the first version if you manage to feed it right.
Kamelito
Old 24 December 2014, 20:14   #38
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
Awesome !
Maybe the map editor is able to retrieve the datas of the first version if you manage to feed it right.
Kamelito
No, I believe its Oceans Map editor for ST, so nothing to do with Starquake
Old 02 March 2015, 05:29   #39
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Well, just an update.

As some will know, I use WHDLoad to help with development, as it quits on code that crashes, and theres no need to piss around trawling through the stack to find out what caused what problem.

For some reason I didn't use WHDLoad initially, because my Atari ST TRAP#14 emulator wouldn't work with WHDLoad because of code that needed to be relocated.

So I worked without WHDLoad. Took a while to get the emulator to work, but there was always some stupid problem, and serious crashes that stopped it working, but i'm thankful for that at least, because this is the most Atari ST system intensive game i've tackled, and having to learn what TRAP functions do and what not.

So, I junked the TRAP emulator, went back to WHDLoad.......... and had the game up and running in about 20 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All that pissing around with an emulator, and it caused more fucking problems than it solved. Typical.

I wanted to use Paul Hughes Starquake 2 code, but there was no actual game there, so I went back to the ST original.

And now i've got it working, and i've got the character moving with the joystick around the levels, it correctly swaps screens.

All i've got to do now is fix the dynamic pallete swapping, sort out the fire button for picking up objects, code entry in the teleporters, and then getting it to be a moderately acceptable enough speed on 68000.

So, after a little while of trying to make my life easier, I ended up making it easier by simply going back to WHDLoad and using that.

I also wrote a small utility for Amiga where you can load up an Atari ST .PRG file, and give it an address to relocate to, which makes life easier when it comes to patching the game and ensuring theres enough memory to run.

So far, the game is running in 512K, that might change to 1Meg simply because of music and SFX, will endeavour to get a video of it running on Amiga on Youtube in the next couple of days.

That is all, carry on
Old 02 March 2015, 07:43   #40
kamelito
Zone Friend

Nice to see that things are moving forward.
Keep it up!
Kamelito