English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Apps

Old 15 January 2010, 20:21   #1
Escordian

Smile Good software for AmigaOS 3.1

Hi, I'm new, I will make an introduction thread when I feel ready to write some stuff down about myself. (probably in a couple of days)

I Finally got my Amiga CD32 with SX-1 up and running with amigaOS 3.1 and I figured out how to transfer files and convert them easily thanks to reading on this forum.

I was thinking if there's a list or something for the most useful free (or abandonware) software I can get for my amiga, I checked aminet and there's really a lot of stuff I never even heard of and for me as a new serious user (I only had a Amiga500+ back in the day for games) this really confuses me, what should I get?
I would appreciate some help on this and I would be very happy.

Second question, if I wan't to pimp my desktop, are there any recommendations to where I can find usefull tips?

If it's important, I have an Amiga CD32, SX-1, 4megs of ram (for now ) and 1gb hdd (that will probably also be updated in the future).

Thanks.

/Daniel
Old 16 January 2010, 04:33   #2
Photon

Välkommen

I think ClassicWB will be a nice package solution to start with, there's a guide linked on the forum on how to set it up, I did it in WinUAE to a CF card. That will give you fonts, a nice icon set, some nice apps like a file manager, and nice tooltypes, archivers, libs and stuff all set up and working together

WHDload is a nice way to set up a lot of games to start from WB - others will know if there are problems using it on CD32.

As far as apps are concerned, well I don't know your needs. I use DPaint (others can suggest the latest and greatest suitable for CD32, I use v3.21 or 3.25 I think), Protracker 3.15 and 2.3d for music, and AsmOne 1.02+ for programming. CygnusEd is a good text-only editor, as for Office type programs I have no clue.

The first thing of all should be Installer v43.3 (is it?), as this makes sure the install scripts for the rest of the stuff works well. Another standard-install-thing I always do is add Setpatch v43.6 first in the startup-sequence.
Old 17 January 2010, 01:46   #3
Escordian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Välkommen

I think ClassicWB will be a nice package solution to start with, there's a guide linked on the forum on how to set it up, I did it in WinUAE to a CF card. That will give you fonts, a nice icon set, some nice apps like a file manager, and nice tooltypes, archivers, libs and stuff all set up and working together

WHDload is a nice way to set up a lot of games to start from WB - others will know if there are problems using it on CD32.

As far as apps are concerned, well I don't know your needs. I use DPaint (others can suggest the latest and greatest suitable for CD32, I use v3.21 or 3.25 I think), Protracker 3.15 and 2.3d for music, and AsmOne 1.02+ for programming. CygnusEd is a good text-only editor, as for Office type programs I have no clue.

The first thing of all should be Installer v43.3 (is it?), as this makes sure the install scripts for the rest of the stuff works well. Another standard-install-thing I always do is add Setpatch v43.6 first in the startup-sequence.
Tack tack.

ClassicWB is probably what I have been looking for, it seems to have most of the useful software that I need to get started for real, I tried it out on WinUAE as soon as I read that message and read up on it a little bit and it was awesome. It doesn't seem that hard to install either, I will install it as soon as I borrow my friend's HD-USB-connector, thanks man.

WHDLoad seems nice, I read up on it a little bit and now I'm downloading installers.

Thanks for all the info, I'll be sure to check out some of the other stuff you mentioned.

I'm sorry, what's Installer v43.3/Setpatch v43.6? What do they do?

/Daniel
Old 17 January 2010, 02:39   #4
musojon74

Office type stuff you could use Wordworth, it was on a cover disk i think. will have a nose around. Not sure of the copyright status of it - by a company called Digital. If we find it's ok to spread it I have a copy somewhere but don't know. Get Vista / Vistalite for 3d landscape generation fun, Soundstudio for music, Real 3d is fun as is Imagine for rendering stuff. Installer is necessary to run loads of newer installs, not entirely sure what setpatch does, never was. Have fun!
Old 17 January 2010, 19:04   #5
Escordian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musojon74 View Post
Office type stuff you could use Wordworth, it was on a cover disk i think. will have a nose around. Not sure of the copyright status of it - by a company called Digital. If we find it's ok to spread it I have a copy somewhere but don't know. Get Vista / Vistalite for 3d landscape generation fun, Soundstudio for music, Real 3d is fun as is Imagine for rendering stuff. Installer is necessary to run loads of newer installs, not entirely sure what setpatch does, never was. Have fun!
Thanks for all the tips, Office stuff is always great to have handy, even if I generally don't use it much. I think I have some version of wordworth on a disk somewhere, I'll have to search my disks. I'll let you know

3d-programs would be fun to use on the Amiga, to see what it was capable of as far as 3d goes, I'd be sure to download it.

I've been thinking of getting Octamed for Music creation, my friend recommended it when I talked to him about Amiga-music making a couple of years ago. is that any good in your opinion?

I'll check out that installer then, thanks for the info.
Old 17 January 2010, 19:16   #6
daxb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escordian View Post
I've been thinking of getting Octamed for Music creation, my friend recommended it when I talked to him about Amiga-music making a couple of years ago. is that any good in your opinion?
Octamed Soundstudio (free) is the newer version of Octamed. Alternatively you can try DigiboosterPro (commercial) or the good old Protracker.
Old 17 January 2010, 19:57   #7
musojon74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escordian View Post
Octamed Soundstudio is great - and is free to download. Can't find it on the Med soundstudio site though. Looks like he closed the Amiga section

It's PD now though so shall I upload it to zone?

Last edited by musojon74; 17 January 2010 at 19:58. Reason: tweaked
Old 17 January 2010, 21:10   #8
Escordian

musojon74: That would be great. thanks, can't wait to try it out.
Old 25 January 2010, 00:48   #9
musojon74

Eeek - I forgot about this - I'm rubbish sorry . OK try the zoned zip - I think you can run it from that without installation etc. I've left some samples in there from my (old) collection, so play with those. The 16 bit samples (if there are any on there) will just play garbage unless you go to song / options and select 1 - 64 channel mixing mode. If this doesn't work shout and I'll (quickly!) find you my installation file from real Amiga. THere are a couple of Screamtracker mods too from my Octamed install CD (1.0) but they are public domain so this should be OK. The Soundstudio version is the later released PD version not the 1.0 CD version, so again no issues

Have fun!

Muso
Old 27 January 2010, 20:07   #10
Escordian

No problem, no need to feel rubbish, at least it happened at some point.
Thanks man, I installed it on my amiga and it works like a charm but I have a hard time getting started so I'll have to check google for some manuals/guides for octamed but that's my problem and not yours.

Have a nice day and thanks again.
Old 08 February 2010, 14:20   #11
musojon74

(another late reply! :-0) No worries, it is a good prog but it can look a bit confusing if you've not used trackers before - it's very powerful though. Have fun!