English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 25 October 2023, 17:59   #1801
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanujan View Post
I hope the floating menu can be disabled in settings? I was a fan of them, I always turn them off in MagicMenu.

The new partitioning tool looks really interesting. Finally something easy to use! Does it also have an option to put/remove filesystems to/from RDB?
The menu stuff is optional and so are tabs in the shell (see my earlier answer)

PartitionEdit is supposed to add/and remove filesystems from the RDB automatically as needed. We don't have it working yet. And we also haven't thought about the ui for updating filesystems to a newer version.
Old 26 October 2023, 10:30   #1802
Reynolds
Alien Breeder

If I could have a wishlist, then I'd like to see the following:

1. CF card bootup support from the early startup instead / besides of the floppy drive. I mean, both can be useful, but I'd turn to CF solutions in case of troubleshooting or building a clean install.

2. PowerPC support with update. There are a lot of PPC owners still and like me they don't really want to give up using the extra horsepower of what these cards can give. (I need no convince from anyone about Vampires or other stuff, I have those too) The OS would be the best in the way of OS3.9, where there was WOS/W3D available as an option but included to the OS install. It doesn't mean you have to install every bits and pieces, but you can if you have the relevant hw.

3. Optional (or demo limited) web browser with up-to-date features. I don't want to play browser-based games but would like to reach webshops, and forums. For example EAB looks .... different under IBrowse than on any pc browsers.
Old 27 October 2023, 18:40   #1803
Romanujan

@Reynolds I hope the devs will focus on something more useful than points 2. and 3.
Old 27 October 2023, 18:51   #1804
DisasterIncarna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynolds View Post
3. Optional (or demo limited) web browser with up-to-date features. I don't want to play browser-based games but would like to reach webshops, and forums. For example EAB looks .... different under IBrowse than on any pc browsers.
in all honesty i have thought about the whole "modern browser" thing for classic amigas, and i feel like....we dont need one, their too damned slow, rather i feel more like we should have an "Amiga Browser" as in something catered to the Amiga, so not a HTML browser, but perhaps something thats treated more akin to a workbench game, ie: a tilemapped program tailor made just for the amiga with options/etc catered specifically to us and our OS. If we cant keep up with everybody else, why even try, just make something quick and native. (Maybe some very souped up AmigaGuide type of thing)

It's likely we would use such a browser on already existing Amiga "websites" and chances are their gonna be diehard fans/users or people who already host Amiga related html content, so them sticking some trimmed/streamlined/Amiga specific "Website" on their server probably isnt that big of a stretch.

Last edited by DisasterIncarna; 27 October 2023 at 18:57.
Old 27 October 2023, 19:04   #1805
Locutus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterIncarna View Post
in all honesty i have thought about the whole "modern browser" thing for classic amigas, and i feel like....we dont need one, their too damned slow, rather i feel more like we should have an "Amiga Browser" as in something catered to the Amiga, so not a HTML browser, but perhaps something thats treated more akin to a workbench game, ie: a tilemapped program tailor made just for the amiga with options/etc catered specifically to us and our OS. If we cant keep up with everybody else, why even try, just make something quick and native. (Maybe some very souped up AmigaGuide type of thing)

It's likely we would use such a browser on already existing Amiga "websites" and chances are their gonna be diehard fans/users or people who already host Amiga related html content, so them sticking some trimmed/streamlined/Amiga specific "Website" on their server probably isnt that big of a stretch.

This is getting /very/ far off-topic, but if you want something like a browser but more simple and that can be done on the Amiga look at Gemini: https://geminiprotocol.net/

There's even a decent Gemini browser for Amiga already.

So instead of asking for it, make content
Old 27 October 2023, 19:45   #1806
DisasterIncarna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
This is getting /very/ far off-topic, but if you want something like a browser but more simple and that can be done on the Amiga look at Gemini: https://geminiprotocol.net/

There's even a decent Gemini browser for Amiga already.

So instead of asking for it, make content
didnt even know that stuff existed, just tried it, works really well and already has some Amiga related links to play with. nice find.
Old 27 October 2023, 19:52   #1807
Thomas Richter

Quote:
1. CF card bootup support from the early startup instead / besides of the floppy drive. I mean, both can be useful, but I'd turn to CF solutions in case of troubleshooting or building a clean install.

There is support for PCMCIA-RAM cards which you can use with the carddisk device. For disk-emulating PCMCIA-cards, you would need a completely different device for which there is no ROM space available.
Old 03 November 2023, 11:50   #1808
Romanujan

Since there is going to be an API for the context menu - would be also possible to add one for icons and clock on right side of the screen title bar (macOS-like placement)? Usually there is a lot of free space there, especially in higher resolutions.
Old 03 November 2023, 12:23   #1809
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanujan View Post
Since there is going to be an API for the context menu - would be also possible to add one for icons and clock on right side of the screen title bar (macOS-like placement)? Usually there is a lot of free space there, especially in higher resolutions.
Hang on the API is for the menu itself, attached to a general window or gadget. We have not promised any API to have a contextmenu for icons on wb.

In fact right now it is unlikely we will make changes to workbench, as it really needs to be cleaned up codewise before we add new functionality. That plus any new functionality is going to be a really big undertaking that will add years to the release date (say 6 years from now). So it is much more likely we will postpone changes to WB until 3.4

I think we in principle agree to your idea, so it is more a question of doing things in the right order, and not put 3.3 further into the future
Old 03 November 2023, 20:10   #1810
klx300r

Quote:
I'm more than happy with the current iBrowse and AmiSSL to visit my Amiga sites but you better have a strong CPU and lots of fast ram. As AmigaO4.1 users will tell you it's not about having a current modern web browser but having the qualified people to constantly update it
Old 04 November 2023, 09:10   #1811
kamelito
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by boemann View Post
Hang on the API is for the menu itself, attached to a general window or gadget. We have not promised any API to have a contextmenu for icons on wb.

In fact right now it is unlikely we will make changes to workbench, as it really needs to be cleaned up codewise before we add new functionality. That plus any new functionality is going to be a really big undertaking that will add years to the release date (say 6 years from now). So it is much more likely we will postpone changes to WB until 3.4

I think we in principle agree to your idea, so it is more a question of doing things in the right order, and not put 3.3 further into the future
What is the reason not to use and improve Scalos as the source code is available?

It is also nice to have the RKRM at
https://www.retro-commodore.eu updated too.

Last edited by kamelito; 04 November 2023 at 19:15.
Old 05 November 2023, 10:41   #1812
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
What is the reason not to use and improve Scalos as the source code is available?
I would assume it's because it's not part of AmigaOS? I doubt integrating chunks of it into AmigaOS would be any less work than implementing things from scratch, and at least that way you know the code well.
Old 05 November 2023, 11:57   #1813
Olaf Barthel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
The Scalos source code is so large it makes even workbench.library look tiny by comparison (it's about 20% the size of Scalos, not including the prefs). Replacing Workbench, etc. with Scalos would be possible, but is this really how we ought to spend our time? We are already committed to fixing long standing bugs and, if possible, expand upon what the operating system already delivers, incrementally.

Scalos is covered by the GPL 3.0 which I do not think would be the major obstacle. What is, however, is adapting the code for integration with the remainder of the operating system. Scalos is available for MorphOS, AROS, AmigaOS 68k and AmigaOS4, which makes for a challenging project. Naturally, any work would have to be coordinated with the current maintainers.

Our current team is very small which, while it has its downsides, also enables us to produce the work which we came up with so far, including the NDK updates. There's either this, or shift to coordination & management work instead, it seems.
Old 05 November 2023, 14:04   #1814
Etze
A3000-Fan

I never liked Scalos, so I wouldn't buy a Scalos-powered AmigaOS.
Old 05 November 2023, 20:29   #1815
kamelito
Zone Friend

On less OS sold wouldn’t make a difference
Old 05 November 2023, 21:22   #1816
Etze
A3000-Fan

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.
Old 05 November 2023, 22:42   #1817
qz3fwd

I also would like to see partitioning/formatting tools re-written.
I have never in my life ever seen another system which expects normal users to input obscure and very poorly documented hex values in a partitioning tools. The current HDToolBox is a piss poor design and it is shameful Commodore ever let it be released into production to the public.
Old 06 November 2023, 01:28   #1818
Steady

@qz3fwd
See post 1781.
Old 06 November 2023, 11:14   #1819
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etze View Post
I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.
You are not, and rest asured our vision for AmigaOS is not to replace it with some thirdparty product.

We want to respect the past. Yes, we do make user visible changes, but we do so gently.
Old 06 November 2023, 12:30   #1820
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Incorporating it wholesale is not likely; it would be better to request a specific feature of it.