English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 08 May 2012, 15:40   #21
djvernon

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryhan View Post
I don't suppose there's any chance of a Mac OS version of this at some point? Looks cool.
Sorry I'm not planning on developing a Mac OS version, but the Windows source code (including the Amiga 68000 source file) is available here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/stuntcarremake for anyone who fancies working on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc6809e View Post
How did you do the conversion? Did you disassemble to 68000 machine code and translate to x86?
Yes and no - I disassembled the entire 68000 code on the Amiga, then spent a while studying and commenting it. Then I wrote the new version in C/C++, using the Amiga algorithms for the car physics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
Looks good. I miss the cockpit / speed / damage graphics. Is the sound original?
Yes the sound is original and the binary data was taken from the Amiga then converted to .wav files for playback under Windows. The only thing missing is the Amiga's low pass filter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4p View Post
Good work. Would it be possible to alter the code so that we get 60fps without speeding up everything?
Thanks. Unfortunately I tried and failed to alter the car's physics code to handle 60fps. The Amiga routines that the new code is based upon were written for the Amiga's frame rate of 8-9fps and when I tried to change them (e.g. by reducing various constants and variables) the physics was just all wrong (e.g. the car would no longer jump sufficiently).

Again the Windows source code (including the Amiga 68000 source code) is available here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/stuntcarremake for anyone who fancies having another attempt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamiga2002 View Post
How about a version for beefier classic Amigas eg. 060?
Not sure if this is what you're after, but there is a 'speedrun' version for classic Amigas somewhere, which was created by someone else and allows for a much faster frame rate on more powerful Amigas. (The original Amiga version had a frame limiter in the code to ensure that six vertical blanks had occurred between frames, giving a frame rate of 50/6 = 8.33 fps. The 'speedrun' version either removes or significantly reduces the limiter).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
this is very nice, maybe a bit fast though lol
Thanks for the positive comments and for featuring the game on your web site too.

Remember you can press the F10 key one or more times to slow the game down if needs be (and F9 to speed it up again)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
This version is far superior to the other remake of this game I have, nice work. (Although it is indeed somewhat too fast, as others have already mentioned.)
Thanks. (Try pressing the F10 key )

Last edited by Graham Humphrey; 08 May 2012 at 19:57. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged

Old 08 May 2012, 18:28   #22
deg

This is the coolest thing i've seen in a long time. I've been lurking on eab for a very long time but have never needed to join. But today I had to join eab just to let you know how awesome and cool you are djvernon!

Releasing the c++ source AND the 68k source is just too much, the most i ever disassembled in the old days was 250kb - but 450 kb of 68k source?!! that is real dedication.

I have written quite a few 3d graphics engines and would encourage you to try doing an OpenGL port, since you are not using multi-textures or pixel shaders etc there should be a 1:1 correspondence between most direct x features and OGL ones and it would be alot of fun to learn and the game would then work on a range of platforms.

I'd also encourage you to add multiplayer/network play. In the old days my friend would come over and we'd connect his ST to my amiga and play Stunt Car Racer multiplayer for hours instead of studying for school. I can imagine how much fun it would be to start up a Stunt Car session at work on the local LAN after a Friday afternoon pint and have 8-16 people all trying to get the fastest time and knock the others off the track!

Once again kudos to you, most people are pure talk when it comes to projects like this but very few will see it through to release, well done! :-)

Old 12 May 2012, 23:22   #23
deg

I played it for 2-3 hours, here is some feedback: the physics is almost perfect but the "stepping stones" seem harder than the original - you have to be more precise on the win32 version, however I last played stunt car racer perhaps 20 years ago and may have wrong memories!

One thing you could immediately do to improve playability is not restart the player in between the two "arms" of a ramp if they crash on a ramp/jump. similarly in the original if you crashed on a ramp/jump, you would always be restarted at a position that would give you sufficient "run up" to get over the ramp.

Next priority could be to get the "push up/forward to accelerate, firebutton for turbo" functionality working, because i think in the win32 version the only way to go forward is to burn turbo?

Thank you djvernon for many hours of fun! :-D

Old 16 May 2012, 21:39   #24
zaltabar

As a Linux user I'm happy to report that it seems to be working well with Wine (1.5.4) on Ubuntu 12.04.

Great work!

Old 18 March 2016, 10:55   #25
twinbee

@djvernon: which is the 'speedrun' version out of all of the ones listed below found at the http://thegamearchives.net/:

Stunt car racer (1988)(microstyle)[h][t +2 enigma][stunt car racer turbo]-amiga
Stunt car racer (1989)(microstyle)-amiga
Stunt car racer (1989)(microstyle)[a2]-amiga
Stunt car racer (1989)(microstyle)[a]-amiga
Stunt car racer (1989)(microstyle)[cr qtx]-amiga
Stunt car racer (1989)(microstyle)[cr woodpecker]-amiga
Stunt car racer (1989)(microstyle)[cr woodpecker][t +2 setrox]-amiga
Stunt car racer (1989)(microstyle)[f aga galahad][h][stunt car racer turbo]-amiga
Stunt car racer (1989)(microstyle)[h][t +1 archaos][stunt car racer turbo]-amiga
Stunt car racer (1989)(microstyle)[m care][stunt car racer tnt v1 0b]-amiga
Stunt car racer (1989)(microstyle)[save disk]-amiga
Stunt car racer super division (1989)(micro style)[miami bass][cr defjam]-amiga

I want to be able to play SCR where it's SMOOTHER at 60fps (but not faster), and with the original physics.

Last edited by twinbee; 18 March 2016 at 11:03.
Old 18 March 2016, 11:08   #26
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinbee View Post
@djvernon: which is the 'speedrun' version out of all of the ones listed below found at the http://thegamearchives.net/:

Stunt car racer (1988)(microstyle)[h][t +2 enigma][stunt car racer turbo]-amiga
Stunt car racer (1989)(microstyle)-amiga
Stunt car racer (1989)(microstyle)[a2]-amiga
Stunt car racer (1989)(microstyle)[a]-amiga
Stunt car racer (1989)(microstyle)[cr qtx]-amiga
Stunt car racer (1989)(microstyle)[cr woodpecker]-amiga
Stunt car racer (1989)(microstyle)[cr woodpecker][t +2 setrox]-amiga
Stunt car racer (1989)(microstyle)[f aga galahad][h][stunt car racer turbo]-amiga
Stunt car racer (1989)(microstyle)[h][t +1 archaos][stunt car racer turbo]-amiga
Stunt car racer (1989)(microstyle)[m care][stunt car racer tnt v1 0b]-amiga
Stunt car racer (1989)(microstyle)[save disk]-amiga
Stunt car racer super division (1989)(micro style)[miami bass][cr defjam]-amiga

I want to be able to play SCR where it's SMOOTHER at 60fps (but not faster), and with the original physics.
My version
Old 18 March 2016, 11:36   #27
twinbee

Ah nice.

I tried it though, and pressed F3 for turbo mode. Unfortunately, it's mega-fast Any fixes for that? I want it at normal speed and smooth.
Old 18 March 2016, 13:18   #28
s2325
Zone Friend

Try choosing slower CPU if you are using WinUAE.
Old 18 March 2016, 13:51   #29
twinbee

Yep, I tried changing the CPU speed to -70% in WinUAE, but then frame rate drops again down to 15-20fps. I want it to run slow and smooth simultaneously.
Old 18 March 2016, 13:56   #30
s2325
Zone Friend

-70? Maybe just use 68020 without any additional options.
Old 18 March 2016, 18:27   #31
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

I tried downloading the source code but it only downloads the zip with the game only. Anyone have the source code version?
Old 18 March 2016, 22:03   #32
Michael Sykes
WinUAE end user

Nice remake.
What about controller support fullscreen and some decent FX for some events?
That would make it complete.I hope to see a polished version of that game.
Maybe in some appstores so we can run it on all kind of devices.
But I bet someone else still has the copyright...
And btw, I used nvidiaInspectors framelimiter to play at 60 fps.
Old 18 March 2016, 22:08   #33
Michael Sykes
WinUAE end user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I tried downloading the source code but it only downloads the zip with the game only. Anyone have the source code version?
on that page click on "Download Snapshot"...
https://sourceforge.net/p/stuntcarre...i/master/tree/
Old 19 March 2016, 06:53   #34
twinbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
-70? Maybe just use 68020 without any additional options.
Okay, basically, on first playing, it does run at normal speed. The problem is when I press F3, the game runs WAY too fast. So I tried to compensate by turning the CPU speed down. But then we get back to slow and jerky.

I want it slow (normal speed) and silky smooth (50/60fps) at the same time. Is this even possible - can anyone claim that they've successfully managed to do this?

Last edited by twinbee; 19 March 2016 at 07:03.
Old 12 June 2016, 18:12   #35
Prosonic

thanks dan
Old 12 June 2016, 19:14   #36
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinbee View Post
Okay, basically, on first playing, it does run at normal speed. The problem is when I press F3, the game runs WAY too fast. So I tried to compensate by turning the CPU speed down. But then we get back to slow and jerky.

I want it slow (normal speed) and silky smooth (50/60fps) at the same time. Is this even possible - can anyone claim that they've successfully managed to do this?
Not possible without modifying the physics code, cf this thread.
Old 30 June 2016, 21:56   #37
thedevilbunny

Nice work! I'm a big fan of the game! Glad to see it getting love!