Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 02 June 2001, 16:36   #1
Bloodwych

Stunt car racer - the return!

Hi everyone just joined.

Don't have much time so I'll post a quicky:

Who here was a stuntcar racing legend?

I loved that multiplayer amiga game.

Imagine having races using stuntcar racer over the net, that would be awesome! Just need a good amiga emu with net support.

Someone should remake that game for a modern multiplayer extravaganza. Imagine, an internet stuntcar league with every player controlled by humans!
Old 02 June 2001, 18:50   #2
Khephren

I was never much of a games player, but Stunt Car Racer was superb to play.

You mention a remake. Hmmm, an overblown version production with texturing and all that bollocks by any chance?

No thanks, I'll stick to the original version.

Old 03 June 2001, 11:45   #3
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I agree...the original game needn't be tampered with...just netplay support added. I was never able to test the link modes of that game, but I can imagine how much fun that would be. Such a compelling game! A track editor might have been nice, too.
Old 03 June 2001, 13:03   #4
Burge
Get ready, Agent

Thumbs up

I'm pretty sure I never played multiplayer Stunt Car Racer, but it was one of my favourite single player games. The innovative power guage/crash measure, the realistic graphics and the awsome feeling of speed and being able to build your own tracks made it a classic.
Old 04 June 2001, 15:34   #5
Gibby

Question Did I have a different version?

Build your own tracks????

I don't remember that - that is one thing that would have the made the game absolutely fantastic rather than just fantastic.

Did you have a different version to me Burge? If there is a version available where you can build your own tracks, I want it! Sadly though I think your just mistaken and no version like this exists.

Old 04 June 2001, 17:16   #6
MosMensk

Thumbs up

You CAN actually play Stunt Car Racer over the net.

Just use "WinFellow - Kaillera" : http://www.agnus.org.uk/WinUAE-Kaillera/

It rocks!!!

Last edited by MosMensk; 04 June 2001 at 19:02.

Old 06 June 2001, 09:43   #7
Burge
Get ready, Agent

Hopefully the Gamecube will restore my fiath in games, if I ever get one that is. I would get the one that plays DVD's so it wouldn't be a total loss anyway.

Akira: you say you have a GBA. I have a couple questions. Is the screen size to small or ok? How do the graphics of the games compare with their SNES counterparts? How is the sound reproduction? Are the games still fun after all these years? Thanx.
Old 06 June 2001, 18:14   #8
Amiga1992

I haven't seen anything yet on the Gamecube that would make me buy an unit. Yet.

About the GBA, yes, I imported one about 2 weeks ago, and it's brilliant. The screen is bigger than that of most handhelds (even bigger than the one on a Lynx), the quality is excellent, just as much as that of the NeoGeo Pocket Color (Reflective TFT is the shiznit), and the games are brilliant. TEchnically, it surpasses the SNES, by many miles. The extra power sure shows up.

Example is F-Zero. Since the machine is not limited by a shitty Mode 7 thing, you have 2 planes of parallax rotating below you , and the cars are zoomed in realtime, unlike in the original F-Zero. This makes it look more smooth all round. The speed is a little bit faster than on the SNES. It trully is a sight to see.

Sound is excellent, as good or better than that of a SNES. It sounds a bit more crispy. Excellent mix of chippy stuff and sampled instruments, like on an Amiga. I can post an MP3 if you wish.

And of course the games are just as fun as before Since they remain true in essence to their originals, the playability is untouched, and sometimes enhanced. The new games appearing exclusively on the GBA are very good too. I love Mr. Driller 2, and Advance GTA is one brill racing game. This is what matters teh most. Untampered, brilliant, oldschool 2D playability. This is the only machine that will fully support 2D in years to come, so it's a definitive MUST for 2D game lovers like me

One complaint: the controls. I hate that dinky little d-pad. It's the same you see on a GBC. Then again, I got spoiled by the NGPC's brilliant ministick controller.

Talking about GBC, GBC games work just as fine, and if you want, you can stretch the screen to make them fit the whole screen (gbc games have a smaller resolution than the GBA). Works a treat with some games, like R-Type DX.

I love the little machine Looking forward to the Amiga/C64 conversions on teh prowl! Wings and Jet Set Willy, to name but two. And I wish the one who got the licenses to Graftgold games ports some Amiga beauts to this portable beast. Uridium 2... *drool*
Old 06 June 2001, 20:05   #9
RCK
Administrator

Lightbulb if you want to hear

check for this two page for GBA mp3

http://pocket.ign.com/news/32553.html
http://pocket.ign.com/news/32664.html

You must listen those tracks :
- Opening Theme (WaiWai? Wai Not! - page 2)
- Haunting Opening Theme (castelvania - page 2)
- Opening Theme (Super Mario Advance - page 1)
- Stage 1 (Super Mario Advance - page 1)
Old 07 June 2001, 19:50   #10
Amiga1992

Hahaha, the WaiWai Racing one is cool

Man, I'll NEVER finish F-Zero. I cannot master any of the series in Expert mode, and they want me to do it in Master, add another league, and whatnot!

I can kiss the Jet Vermillion goodbye

Peeps, get a GBA You won't regret such move!
Old 03 July 2001, 00:12   #11
Damage case

Stunt Car Racer

Gday guys
So did anyone here get through the Superleague on the Amiga version?? I remember that I worked through to the first division in the super legue and got stuck. Then when I went back to it my save game disk was corrupted!!

I personally think netplay is a brilliant idea for this game. This was the game that I saved my pocket money to buy a link cable for. Only thing was no one I knew was any good at it and I was better off against the computer. Still lots of fun when you jump over /land on your mates car or see them go flying off the track.

Old 03 July 2001, 03:38   #12
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Superleague

Just to confirm I have actually made it to the Superleague without cheating - while HD installing the game it required a LOT of testing and I managed to make it through. The way I did it was save after each division and I would only use the saved game if I had no structural damage (the holes in the frame) except on the division one which had tracks which always damaged the car. Otherwise just hit Escape and replay the season again.

Superleague is impossible unfortunately. It would be nice if the computer cars actually crashed too, it's annoying that they drive perfectly - the only flaw in this superb game.
Old 03 July 2001, 06:29   #13
Damage case

Hey codetapper dude, Small world!!!
I'm in Auckland as well. And I thought that there wasnt much interest in the Amiga over here.

I didnt think there were any cheats for Stuntcar. Yeah I got through the first division and into the superleague and played a few times. Yes its pretty hard but Its cool having the Souped up car. How fast did you get the car going? I dont remember an exact speed but i remember the scale starting from the left a second time round!
That was when my save disk died and I never bothered to get that far again.:hooooo

Old 05 July 2001, 00:01   #14
MethodGit

Smile Suggestions...

The only gripe I have about this game is why didn't Geoff Crammond include an Action Replay/Film Director mode in the game? It would certainly have been fun to make short films of your escapades on the track at different camera angles Driver style , and be able to save the replays to memory/harddisk as well. What fun it would be to replay to your opponent his/her most embarrassing moment in their one game when he/she drove too fast off one ramp and completely missed the edge of the turn by miles and came crashing down to the ground . Oh, and there's one sort of "mini-gripe" about the game too - after a while you realise that all you can do on each track is just drive around, take the turns carefully, try not to fall off and try to get to the finish line first. And that's it. You can't, say, act like Dastardly & Muttley and lay traps such as greasy oil or a bed of nails or anything else sneaky to make your opponents fly off the track more easily, and drive off into the lead with a mirth on your face. You could even show close ups of the drivers' faces showing their emotions as well, and possibly have one driver possess a handlebar mustache that you could twist in an "I'm-a-baddie" type of way. And have a furry sidekick with a wheeze for a chuckle as well.

If only these two things were included in the original game, it would most certainly have been a lot (and I mean, a LOT) more fun. Oh, well, maybe a remake *should* be made so they can include these two bits in, hopefully. And changing the graphics won't be necessary, either. Although another cool thing to do would be if you could choose between the "classic" graphics (two different versions as well, based on the C64 and Amiga versions (if there are other versions that used different palettes to those two though, let me know) or the new "snazzy look" graphics (but make sure it runs smoothly on one's computer without needing a huge 128Mb 3D card to even get it running at 15fps ).

What do you think of these ideas?
Old 05 July 2001, 01:49   #15
Drake1009

I'm not sure the nails or oil slicks would make the game funnier.

Sure it would be refreshing to see it, but just think of how frustrating it would be to race a computer opponent who get in front of you and immediately does something so you drop off the track and is in last place and there you stay because every time you get close he leaves a surprise for you on the track.

I'd much rather have it stay the way it is with simple easy to understand gameplay where you can use strategy and memory to determine which jumps to take at which speed.

If they were to change anything it should only be the graphics and sound and then leave the gameplay intact instead of having you grasping at 14 keys to play properly.
Old 05 July 2001, 02:08   #16
Ian
Global Moderator

Agreed

You've all heard the saying "I it ain't broke don't fix it" haven't you, well this is a prime example of that IMO
Old 10 January 2005, 17:14   #17
oldpx

Old threads are so much fun.

Old 10 January 2005, 20:36   #18
EAGLE 5

SCR was the stuff! flying over the drawbridge at full throttle with nitrous burning only to screw up fly off the track and crash the car was just simply awesome.