English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.UAE Wishlist

Old 20 January 2007, 23:30   #1
glue
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to glue Send a message via AIM to glue Send a message via Yahoo to glue
now i have one question . in e-uae i see 68060 CPU CODE . Toni is possibly to make this in WINUAE ?

[moved from beta thread]

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 21 January 2007 at 00:02.
Old 21 January 2007, 00:02   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Yes and no. It is broken. (why? because it was me who implemented "68060" support ages ago..)

You can enable it in winuae by manually editing configuration file.

Broken? "68060" = 68040 + single instruction semi-incorrectly emulated to make setpatch to think it is a 68060. (=for example FPU is still 68040 FPU = FPU won't be available and 68060.library also does some things incorrectly)

and finally: 68060 IS COMPLETELY USELESS. Speed is exactly the same (or possibly slower because 68060 has less instructions in "hardware" than 68040) and NO PROGRAM NEEDS 68060. 68060 is only "required" because _REAL_ 68060 is much faster than 68040. (sorry for shouting but this another faq..)
Old 21 January 2007, 00:42   #3
Shamino

What do you mean, "no program needs 68060", there are lots of programs requiring this.

I'm not sure why the reluctance to implement this, by what you are saying I get the sense that it wouldn't be difficult. If it's available by editing the config file then why not add an option in the GUI, it's not good to make people stuff around with text configuration files, this isn't UNIX.

Most real Amiga users have 68060, failing to emulate this means they are unlikely to consider UAE to be a viable replacement for their hardware Amigas.
Old 21 January 2007, 00:49   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I REPEAT: THERE ARE NO AMIGA PROGRAMS THAT REQUIRE 68060 BECAUSE OF MISSING INSTRUCTIONS. ALL "REQUIRE" IT BECAUSE *REAL* 68060 IS FASTER THAN 68040.

Just download patch that fakes the 68060 bit in execbase from Aminet.

It won't be in GUI because it would only result in 100x more bug reports. (until it works properly)

Quote:
Most real Amiga users have 68060, failing to emulate this means they are unlikely to consider UAE to be a viable replacement for their hardware Amigas.
I don't care if they don't understand the difference between real and emulated CPUs.
Old 21 January 2007, 00:54   #5
keropi

ok shamino, consider this:
why real amiga users have 060's ??? because they need more speed.
and now take winuae with it's 040 emulator. and benchmark it... do you know how it perfoms? like a several gigahertz 040 on a modern system.
so there is no need to emulate a 060 in winuae, in reality there is no amiga program that requires a 060, only some better ones are optimized for various cpu types, like 020, 040 and 060... but none runs only on 060... for example suppose there was a prog that had seperate binaries for 020, 040 and 060. the 020 and 040 binaries would run ten times faster on winuae, than a real 060 amiga would run the 060 binary...
Old 21 January 2007, 00:59   #6
Shamino

Of course selecting "68060" wouldn't make it run faster, I understand this.

But what I don't understand is why it's better to make everyone run an Aminet patch to set the 68060 flag, rather than having this functionality in the emulator.

I'm not sure why there would necessarily be masses of bug reports. I suspect the number of bug reports it would lead to would be considerably lower than the number of feature requests for 68060 support.

And in any event bug reports are not a bad thing. When they are actioned they help to improve the quality of the emulator.
Old 21 January 2007, 01:09   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Because "real" (minus MMU) 68060 emulation will require changes to JIT (68060 without JIT support would be extremely pointless) and I am not going to touch it. Unfortunately only few people knows how to patch UAE's JIT.

Lots of work for mostly nothing, imho.
Old 21 January 2007, 15:45   #8
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

How about having a little checkbox in the GUI saying "fake 68060?" or something? When enabled, it would just patch the attn flags like the aminet patch. Just an idea.
Old 22 January 2007, 17:30   #9
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Just create option for 68060 and still do 68040 cpu emulation.

Everyone happy!
Old 22 January 2007, 21:21   #10
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

That was exactly what I meant. Since real 68060 emulation is useless indeed.
Old 23 January 2007, 00:41   #11
Konrad

I think you didn't get Anubis' joke .

Tony's target is to make WinUAE as accurate as possible. So why should he add this option to the gui if 68060 emulation ist not working correctly and he's not going to change that ? He will then have people moaning that it doesn't work correctly and he'll have to tell them that he's not going to work on this. Pointless to me...
There's no problem in running the patch from AmiNet, nothing complicated about it. If YOU rather like to have 68060 emulation you now know how to activate it. But now that Tony said that it's working incorrectly you should also consider running the patch instead.
Old 23 January 2007, 02:38   #12
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Before you call something pointless you better read more carefully first. Where did I say I want to have 68060 emulation? Tell me, where did I say anything about wanting to have real 68060 emulation? What I pointed out was a possible solution for people who requested 68060 emulation. Mind you, me, myself and I don't need this feature. If I'd come across programs that would require 68060 I could patch them myself. And what I wrote was meant serious and not to be taken as joke as I consider it indeed useful. And I don't see why people would complain about it not working when all it would do is changing some flags in exec to fool the system into "thinking" there's a 060 cpu working. Yes, really pointless indeed... As pointless as the "Immediate Blitter" option...

Also, what is so hard to understand about the "fake" part in my "fake 68060?" suggestion? Everyone with at least half a braincell would see that it is FAKING something, anyone who would think it's real 68060 emulation should not be using UAE anyway...

Last edited by StingRay; 23 January 2007 at 02:52.
Old 23 January 2007, 08:26   #13
Konrad

Oh, I do understand what you mean. No need to reread your posts. I think YOU should pay more attention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay
Also, what is so hard to understand about the "fake" part in my "fake 68060?" suggestion? Everyone with at least half a braincell would see that it is FAKING something, anyone who would think it's real 68060 emulation should not be using UAE anyway...
Fake doesn't mean that it's not working correctly. So even if you write "Fake 68060" people will still complain when it's not working correctly. That's normal behaviour. A user finds a bug / something doesn't work correctly => he writes a bug report.
Tony said that 68060 emulation is not working correctly, so bugs will appear and people WILL report them, no matter if there's "Fake" written in the gui or not. He also said that he's not going to work on this, so these reports would be pointless.
So why go this route (adding a buggy option to the gui of Winuae, getting bug reports for something that won't be fixed and is definately NOT needed) when you could simply run a patch from Aminet which works better ?

Quote:
When enabled, it would just patch the attn flags like the aminet patch.
Tony's Target = accurate emulation. And patching something isn't accurate.

Yes, including that option in the GUI of WinUAE IS pointless to me.

Last edited by Konrad; 23 January 2007 at 08:36.
Old 23 January 2007, 08:48   #14
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konrad
I don't really agree with this.

Accuracy has higher priority in A500-mode. 68020+ depends. ("as accuracy as possible but without losing too much speed". or something.)

Fake 68060 is not too good idea because UAE does not know when to patch the 68060-bit. (it can't be done until setpatch has been run) Continuous polling would be extremely stupid. (Initialization of bsdsocket or Picasso96 are possible "initialization points" but what if user does not use them?)
Old 23 January 2007, 12:16   #15
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Oh, I do understand what you mean. No need to reread your posts. I think YOU should pay more attention.
You still did NOT understand what I meant, else you wouldn't continue babbling about non working 68060 emulation...

Quote:
Fake doesn't mean that it's not working correctly. So even if you write "Fake 68060" people will still complain when it's not working correctly. That's normal behaviour. A user finds a bug / something doesn't work correctly => he writes a bug report.
Tony said that 68060 emulation is not working correctly, so bugs will appear and people WILL report them, no matter if there's "Fake" written in the gui or not. He also said that he's not going to work on this, so these reports would be pointless.
So why go this route (adding a buggy option to the gui of Winuae, getting bug reports for something that won't be fixed and is definately NOT needed) when you could simply run a patch from Aminet which works better ?

Yes, including that option in the GUI of WinUAE IS pointless to me.
Again, you totally did NOT get what I meant. Where is that option buggy? Sheez, really, read what I wrote again before writing the same things again and again. So, in your opinion, what is the "Immediate Blitter" option then? Pointless I guess when I follow your logic... Anyway, what I suggested has NOTHING, and I repeat NOTHING to do with real 68060 emulation. Because that is something I consider totally pointless myself as well. All that option would do is to change a few bits in the Exec's ATTN flags, nothing more, nothing less. No changes in the CPU emulation at all required. And programs that worked before would still do so with that option enabled. So again, it would NOT involve any real 68060 emulation at all.
Old 23 January 2007, 12:18   #16
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen
Fake 68060 is not too good idea because UAE does not know when to patch the 68060-bit. (it can't be done until setpatch has been run) Continuous polling would be extremely stupid. (Initialization of bsdsocket or Picasso96 are possible "initialization points" but what if user does not use them?)
Ah ok, that's indeed not a good idea then. Thought it would be easier to do.
Old 24 January 2007, 20:00   #17
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Smile

Quote:
Fake doesn't mean that it's not working correctly.
Thaaaaanks!

Fake MUST work correctly. As users will use native Amiga tools which check the type of hardware. If this software reports wrong kinds of hardware (horribly bad example: detecting AAA chipset where it is in fact AA (Alice)), it is of no use for anyone.
Old 24 January 2007, 22:29   #18
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas
Thaaaaanks!

Fake MUST work correctly. As users will use native Amiga tools which check the type of hardware. If this software reports wrong kinds of hardware (horribly bad example: detecting AAA chipset where it is in fact AA (Alice)), it is of no use for anyone.
Yeah, that's why there are patches like this on Aminet because it's of no use for anyone.... And since when has a FAKE to work correctly... And seriously, wtf will enable such option and then use tools to check the system config and wondering that the results differ from the real hardware? Makes indeed sense to me.... NOT!
Old 24 January 2007, 23:27   #19
Konrad

I didn't say Fake has to work correctly. But it also doesn't automatically mean that it doesn't. That's why I said that people will write error reports about this.
Old 25 January 2007, 00:00   #20
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Well, slight problems could appear, I agree, but that's why there's the "fake" part of that option. Just like the beta versions of UAE have the messagebox saying it's beta software so problems may occur. Anyway, since that option is not as easy to implement as I thought, it doesn't make much sense to discuss about it much longer. So everyone is happy. I for myself don't need it anyway.