English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 11 July 2019, 05:18   #21
Hewitson

Laziest crack... I recall one Amiga game that cracked itself if you installed it to HD.

Did a few MS-DOS/Windows cracks in the 90s. Many of which were simply changing a jnz to nop, or jz to jmp, etc.

I believe one application I cracked had a "Registered" setting in the .ini file. Simply changing this from false to true cracked it.

Wouldn't mind getting back into cracking as the Mac scene needs more crackers (or should I say K'ers).
Old 15 July 2019, 10:23   #22
AmigaHope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Laziest crack... I recall one Amiga game that cracked itself if you installed it to HD.

Did a few MS-DOS/Windows cracks in the 90s. Many of which were simply changing a jnz to nop, or jz to jmp, etc.

I believe one application I cracked had a "Registered" setting in the .ini file. Simply changing this from false to true cracked it.

Wouldn't mind getting back into cracking as the Mac scene needs more crackers (or should I say K'ers).
I kind of think that the cracking scene is more of a game preservation effort now than anything. Game sales make everything cheap now -- even AAA titles get affordable over time. I guess that's why the evil-minded AAA publishers are pushing online P2W transactions more now to milk customers for whatever they're worth.

GOG in particular is a great help -- they make cracking irrelevant by removing all protection whatsoever. I haven't pirated a game I haven't bought in many years. The only reason I ever get a pirated game now is just to strip out Denuvo crapware or something. It's important that people keep pirated games now though since you never know when they'll fall off of Steam for some reason or another. Even having a physical copy is no protection since online patches are par for the course.

I wish I could go back in time to when I was a kid and tell developers -- hey if you just make games cheap and easily accessible then people will stop pirating. I guess in the UK Mastertronic understood that.

But back to the topic at hand. Yeah I encountered a couple of HD install Amiga games where once they were installed there was no protection. I wish I remembered what they were. I guess they figured that if you had a hard drive you had enough money to buy the original.

OK here's my *LAMEST* story. Before I learned how to crack at all, I played a game once that checked protection on bootup but ran fine from copied disks once the disk protection check was passed. I beat the game by stealing the floppy from my local game shop, booted it, then swapped in the copied disk. Then I went back to the game shop and stuck the original floppy back in the box. I left my A500 on for 3 weeks solid while I played the game from the copied disk. Then the power went out, and I went back to the game shop, swiped the disk again, reloaded my saved game and then put the original back in the shop. Played the game another few weeks until I was done.
Old 15 July 2019, 21:49   #23
jotd
This cat is no more

> I played a game once that checked protection on bootup but ran fine from copied disks once the disk protection check was passed

A lot of copylock games are like that. Bitmap brothers games for instance (Chaos Engine, Gods). So if you made an AR III freeze after the protection, you could play off copied disks too.
Old 18 July 2019, 07:22   #24
XPD

"Cracked" a door I wanted registered for my BBS.... it had an annoying pause of about 10s before it ran. Fired up a hex editor and dove in.... found the author had just used a "wait" command that the BBS system used, and took it out. No more delay

My other hack/crack was for the game Floor 13 - it was 2 discs, so slow to load.... I copied all the files to my HDD and again used a hex editor to look at the main program. Found it was referencing the disc name when it needed a swap - so copied that name, and setup two assigns in my user-startup to match, pointing to the game location on the HDD. Much faster loading and no more swaps