English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 15 December 2003, 09:34   #1
SilentBob

ScanDoFF scandouble/flickerfixer

I ordered a scandoubler/flickerfixer which I recieved on Saturday, but I guess I should've checked more thoroughly what experiences people have had with this.

I have an A1200 and an A4000 which I've tested it on and the results were rather disappointing.

On the A1200, I get a fairly clear picture, but when using PAL mode i get some washed-out vertical "lines" in the background. (they look blueish in colour). In NTSC mode the lines are gone, but since the computer switches to PAL mode in most cases when running games/demos it doesn't really help a lot.

On the A4000, the vertical lines are gone, but the picture is too bright and washed out. White text on gray is for instance virtually unreadable.

The documentation that came with the ScanDo is in German, but fortunately I know enough German to decipher it. In the case of the A1200, power might be a problem, as the documentation says the standard PSU that comes with the A500/A1200 is insufficient. Also, the ScanDo runs hot as heck. All-in-all, my experiences with this thing are far from satisfactory.

Should I just return it?

Last edited by SilentBob; 15 December 2003 at 09:39.
Old 15 December 2003, 12:38   #2
thomas

Isn't there a little screw in the back of the FF ? Did you try turning it ?
Old 15 December 2003, 13:17   #3
SilentBob

Yes, there's a switch, but apart from decreasing image quality in a few cases, it didn't help much.
Old 15 December 2003, 17:39   #4
thomas

A switch ? Well, then it is not the same as I have. My one has a screw and I was able to remove flickering and moire effects with it.
Old 15 December 2003, 18:28   #5
hal
where am i ?

i have one in my a2000
the screw in mine does nothing
all horizontal lines are weird like noisy can't stay straight
(can't explain well enough i think)
Old 15 December 2003, 20:02   #6
ant512

A switch? You've got the transparent one, that looks like the GVP DSS8+ sound sampler?

Bwahahaha!

Send it back. It's shit.
Old 16 December 2003, 11:17   #7
SilentBob

OMFG! I'm not using this crap anymore, apparently it's running so hot, that one of the chips inside has started melting! There are small "bubbles" on top of it. This is going straight back. Damn, and I really wanted a working flickerfixer. Guess I'll have to look elsewhere.
Old 18 December 2003, 00:26   #8
ant512

If you ordered it from Eyetech, ask them to swap it for the EZ-VGA scandoubler/flicker-fixer. This version, in a white case, is an excellent piece of hardware. Alternatively, you can get an internal jobbie, which will give a better picture (uses the digital signal, instead of the analogue RGB signal), but I've heard mixed reports about their quality (they're made by DCE).
Old 18 December 2003, 13:24   #9
kriz

yes the xternal white ones are very good!! Have used one for many years with no problems
Old 19 December 2003, 15:01   #10
SilentBob

Quote:
Originally posted by ant512
If you ordered it from Eyetech, ask them to swap it for the EZ-VGA scandoubler/flicker-fixer. This version, in a white case, is an excellent piece of hardware. Alternatively, you can get an internal jobbie, which will give a better picture (uses the digital signal, instead of the analogue RGB signal), but I've heard mixed reports about their quality (they're made by DCE).
Nah, I ordered it from a webshop here in Norway. I can't believe they'd sell me this POS, when they know there are so many issues with it. I e-mailed them a few days ago, but of course, I have recieved no answer. Probably because it's in the middle of the Christmas rush, coupled with the fact that they know they've sold me some useless crap.

Anyway, I'll try to get a hold of this EZ-VGA sd/ff you speak of. Next time I'll order from Eyetech instead.
Old 19 December 2003, 15:31   #11
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

How much is the Eyetech FF anyway? Is it the only thing I need to use a Monitor on my Amiga (that sounds a really n00bish question).
Old 19 December 2003, 20:25   #12
ant512

The Eyetech scandoubler/ff is roughly £80. You could check their website for more details (http://www.eyetech.co.uk), but the site's out-of-date, badly designed and inaccurate most of the time. It is all you need to connect a monitor to your Amiga, but, depending on your Amiga and the monitor, you may not be able to use all of the screenmodes. Standard PAL and NTSC resolutions will be fine, but I can't use DblPAL or DblNTSC (the monitor won't sync to them). Some of the other screenmodes (Super72) were designed with specific monitors in mind, and won't with with standard VGA/SVGA monitors either.

Note that this is a limitation of the Amiga hardware and modern monitors, not a failing of the scandoubler.

If you've got enough memory, though, you'll be able to run a hires-laced Workbench with full overscan and no flicker. Marvellous!