English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hall Of Light > HOL contributions

Old 23 November 2003, 00:14   #1
cebulba

Missing HOL game: SPACE CUTTER

hey folks...

I have just found out that my AMIGA version (originally boxed and shrinked) is not listed in the HOL and also not by Back2Roots.org...

I just checked with TOSEC....no data found, too.

This one is a shooter and published by Rainbird. With 3D graphics and programmed in 1988 by MAELSTROM games.

It seems there is also a ATARI ST version existing.

Will provide scans within this week.
Old 23 November 2003, 12:40   #2
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Space Cutter is the US version of Whirligig. Box scans would be great!

Can you please tell me whether the titlescreen of Space Cutter actually says "Space Cutter" or "Whirligig"?
If the titlescreen says "Space Cutter", then a screenshot of the titlescreen would be much appreciated, as we will need to create a separate entry in HOL.
Old 23 November 2003, 14:43   #3
cebulba

Ah...

yes. It's the same game :-)

I'm not able to say if this has a different boot screen - it's still shrinked...and right now I don't want to open it. I may aquire another one.

Also there is no adf File existing to check this but I guess this will be different. Not the game but the main screen....

There are only few games whose gameplay or level design are different in other countries releases (think of KATAKIS/DENARIS with different level design....).
In most cases the US Version with a different name is equal to the European Version. For some games there are also extra Australian versions existing (with different box art) as you might know....e.g. I got some SSI games released for Australia in different "Gold Boxes" by ECP ("entertaining australia" *g*)
Old 23 November 2003, 20:15   #4
Chuckles
The Ancient One

You mean this title screen?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spacecutter.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	6187  
Old 23 November 2003, 23:51   #5
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cebulba
I'm not able to say if this has a different boot screen - it's still shrinked...and right now I don't want to open it. I may aquire another one.
Don't you open up or use the games you buy?! As a collector, I think it's a great pity to put games away never to be used, or to just have them for show.

Last edited by DrBong; 23 November 2003 at 23:57.
Old 23 November 2003, 23:56   #6
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chuckles
You mean this title screen?
Good man! Thought it had a different titlescreen. Is there any chance you can put a copy in the Zone please, so we can at least do a DBS for HOL?
Old 23 November 2003, 23:58   #7
Djay
95th User

Quote:
hmm, find someone that works in a shop that have a shrink wrap machine....

then open your game up try it out, also do an ADF transfer!!!

then get your m8 to re-shrink wrap... i'm sure alot of ebay sellers do this for retro "never before used" rare games

but if its an official seal then i would have second thoughts too!
Old 24 November 2003, 02:11   #8
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Quote:
Originally posted by DrBong
Good man! Thought it had a different titlescreen. Is there any chance you can put a copy in the Zone please, so we can at least do a DBS for HOL?
It's in the Zone ... Enjoy!
Old 24 November 2003, 09:12   #9
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Thanks Chuckles - I've created the new HOL entry:

http://hol.abime.net/?id=4923
Old 24 November 2003, 11:48   #10
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Happy Space Cutter WHDLoad

Full WHDLoad installed game uploaded to the zone - this is the original release but the slave will also work with cracked versions such as the one in the zone...

(There was only one byte difference between the original and the crack!)
Old 24 November 2003, 15:27   #11
cebulba

Quote:
Don't you open up or use the games you buy?! As a collector, I think it's a great pity to put games away never to be used, or to just have them for show.
well.
I do NOT open shrinked ones - right now.
For collecting purposes it's very important for me to have these games in excellent condition. On most games I have a copy or it's downloadable...if I want to play it - but due to lack of time I have mostly no interest in playing all games nowadays. I have played them years ago (with 12-16th years age) of course...

Most games I have a shrinked one of - I'm looking for another good conditioned opened one...

and yes, I guess there are some Sellers on Ebay who "re-shrink" games. I also know a store which does so but mention it to be fair for buyers protection...

I will scan the box for HOL within the next weeks (have to scan some more Covers for HOL from my personal collection of 1700 originally boxed AMIGA games...).

by for now.
Old 24 November 2003, 17:08   #12
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
I do NOT open shrinked ones - right now.
For collecting purposes it's very important for me to have these games in excellent condition. On most games I have a copy or it's downloadable...if I want to play it - but due to lack of time I have mostly no interest in playing all games nowadays. I have played them years ago (with 12-16th years age) of course...

Most games I have a shrinked one of - I'm looking for another good conditioned opened one...

I will scan the box for HOL within the next weeks (have to scan some more Covers for HOL from my personal collection of 1700 originally boxed AMIGA games...).
Got 2000-2500 boxed Amiga games myself, so I do understand about collecting. However, 2 copies of each game equals a lot of money, especially if you get a substantial number of them overseas like I do. The only games I still have in shrinkwrap are duplicates that I get as part of a bundle. Otherwise I open shrinkwrapped games and use them, although being careful, all the while, to handle them with care. After use they go back on to bookshelves or into storage boxes, where they are out of harm's way.

Anyway, if you don't want to break the original seal of Spacecutter, then that's ok. I'm sure someone will be able to provide box scans in time. Thanks for reminding me about Spacecutter......I had forgotten about entering it into HOL when I last updated Whilrligig

@Chuckles, Cody, Codetapper
Good work, guys!
Old 24 November 2003, 17:38   #13
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
Originally posted by Chuckles
It's in the Zone ... Enjoy!
Un-ADZ-ing the image in the zone revealed that this is already included in TOSEC. (crc = 5fa29835)
Old 24 November 2003, 20:47   #14
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Quote:
Originally posted by andreas
Un-ADZ-ing the image in the zone revealed that this is already included in TOSEC. (crc = 5fa29835)
This is true, though I neglected to mention this in my post. My guess is that cebulba may have been looking for "Space Cutter" in TOSEC, when it is listed as "Spacecutter". I actually have 2 versions, one of which is in TOSEC, along with the original (somewhere in my stash of originals). I'm not sure, but I think the second one may be a disk2fdi dump from my original that has had the doc check disabled via some copy program. I sent both to CodeTapper for him to use in creating the WHDLoad install, but only uploaded the TOSEC version to the Zone. When I find the original, I intend to try to re-dump it so that there's a version out there in an unaltered form.
Old 24 November 2003, 21:51   #15
cebulba

One last post before sleep :-)

Well, I'm not familiar with TOSEC - I just checked TOSEC files at AMIGAROMS - and yes, looked for "Space Cutter". Next time I will try several deviations

@DrBong:
over 2000 boxes? huge collection...where did you put them all?
must be a big house...
all different? I haven't counted my games for months. I guess I have up to 2000, too - and more to come (anybody looking for R-Type or Silkworm? Menace? A lot of games I can separate from...)
I know a guy who has aquired more than 3500 - and is working on a book dealing with vintage computer software in general...

My mother really get fret about every day arriving parcels - from Germany and mostly overseas. There are a few stores around the world still selling AMIGA software...

I can scan the SPACE CUTTER box -as I said before. For scanning I don't have to open it??!??
I've just moved so I still don't have get my scanner to work. I'm actually happy about connecting to the net. Lots of packing cases around here and to go through...anywhere there was a scanner I remember

all the best.
Olli K.

www.RingsofZilfin.de.vu
Old 24 November 2003, 22:54   #16
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
over 2000 boxes? huge collection...where did you put them all?
must be a big house...
all different? I haven't counted my games for months. I guess I have up to 2000, too - and more to come (anybody looking for R-Type or Silkworm? Menace? A lot of games I can separate from...)
I know a guy who has aquired more than 3500 - and is working on a book dealing with vintage computer software in general...

I can scan the SPACE CUTTER box -as I said before. For scanning I don't have to open it??!??
Big old house, but I'm running out of room with all the computers, games, magazines, disks, CDs etc. that I've accumulated. Games are all different, but the number of duplicates in addition to them are mounting up and taking up valuable space. Bookshelves are very handy to store games. I've got about 7 or 8 of them along with several boxes in a storage/computer room.

The guy you mentioned who's writing that book sounds like Peter Olafson. I sold quite a lot of games to him a couple of years ago. He collects games for several computer platforms.....don't know where he gets the time or the money!
Old 25 November 2003, 17:02   #17
cebulba

Quote:

The guy you mentioned who's writing that book sounds like Peter Olafson. I sold quite a lot of games to him a couple of years ago. He collects games for several computer platforms.....don't know where he gets the time or the money! [/B]
CORRECT!
Seems like the world isn't aint big enough...more like a village :-)

I'm wondering, too - what the hell he is earning a month. I forced him paying for games on Ebay more than 150 US Dollars each!

Rumors told me that he has bought an original release of AKALABETH game (the FIRST ULTIMA, handmade by Lord British) for 12000 US DOllars...there are only 4 known games existing (of 12 originally sold in 1982)...

His AMIGA collections seems to be nearly complete - only a few games he is still looking for (and I have them -but don't want to trade these...)
Old 25 November 2003, 17:47   #18
derSammler

Quote:
Rumors told me that he has bought an original release of AKALABETH game (the FIRST ULTIMA, handmade by Lord British) for 12000 US DOllars...there are only 4 known games existing (of 12 originally sold in 1982)...
It's not the first Ultima, only its predecessor. Richard Garriott wrote it back in 1979 and I'm sure more than 12 copies were sold and, of course, before 1982.
Old 25 November 2003, 18:01   #19
cebulba

I do not mean the boxed Version - but the early first version of this game...

This version Richard Garriot programmed at high school - with handwritten manual and disk labels. my well known Ultima contact from US told me he had the info from Mr. Garriot personally...
Old 25 November 2003, 19:27   #20
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Quote:
I do not mean the boxed Version - but the early first version of this game...
Boxed? Boxed versions of software didn't become the norm for quite some time after Akalabeth was released. Just about all entertainment software at the time (at least in the US) was being packaged in baggies with skimpy documentation, sometimes nothing more than a bit of semi-catchy artwork with the title on it.

Akalabeth was originally released in 1980, rather than 1982, and was only ever released in native form on the Apple II series. A conversion was done later that was sold for the PC. I still have my copy of the Apple II version, and was a bit skeptical about the possibility that there might be such a rare version in existence. I know if you offer me $12,000 for my copy, I'll even be willing to deliver it personally. However, a brief check on the web turned up the following link, that gives a bit of release history. It seems that my copy is version 2, and that there was actually a version 1 that really is very rare.

http://www.netassoc.net/ultima/software11.htm

Now that I know the truth, I'm reducing the price of my copy to a mere $6,000. I'm afraid I won't be able to deliver it in person though.